Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community > Tips From the Drawing Board

Old 05-06-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
prochristi86

prochristi86 is on a distinguished road

Question Comic Book Paper - Input Needed

Hey,

I'm currently using Blue Line Pro Traditional Art Boards, Brite White (they have a smooth, non-toothy surface). They're fine, but a little expensive. Considering that I'll need to be ordering a whole lot more of them very soon, does anyone know where I can find boards that are a little cheaper?

Thanks,

James Smith
prochristi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Justice41
Piss Off

Justice41 has disabled reputation

Post your per sheet or pack price then go here to check these pre-lined and ruled, Boards out. I use these and they are slick for pencils inks and paints.
http://www.eonprod.com/boards.html
Justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
prochristi86

Eeeh! These cost $27 for 25 sheets, but BLP Comic Book Art Boards cost only $15 for 24 sheets. Hmm.. I may have to go with BLP, but those Eon boards do look good. BLP allows you to buy 100 sheets for $48 -- does Eon/anyone else have anything comparable?

Thanks,

James

Last edited by prochristi86; 05-07-2006 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Had to add link
Old 05-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
Dannthr
Freelance Composer

Dannthr will become famous soon enough

I bought the BLP Full Trim pack o' 100 and I'm pleased with them. Can't argue with 50 cents a board.

It's thicker than anything I can get in town at that price and I'm pretty pleased with them. (Though, I do own a bunch of Bainbridge 1000 series hot press illustration boards which is ten times better but much pricier).

My only complaint about the BLP Pro Series is that they can't take a crowquill. They just tear up. They're great for brushes, though.

ALTHOUGH, a watercolor wash does muck up the fabric of the paper a bit and the pigmet settles like crap across its surface (that's what I have the big bainbridges for, as well as they're big enough to do poster sized art).

But seriously... 50 cents a piece? Not bad.

[dannthr]
[DeviantArt]
Dannthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #5
prochristi86

What kind of art board works well for crowqull inking? I've done some (although I'm not good at it) on BLP boards, and you're right; the BLP boards don't stand up well to inking with crowquills.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
Dannthr
Freelance Composer

Dannthr will become famous soon enough

As I understand it, the premier series BLP boards are just right for everything, as they seem to be thick as hell -- however, they're quite expensive. That's just what I hear, I haven't tried them.

If you buy their 12 pack, they're like 5 bucks a piece. I imagine you're working with serious illustration BOARD at that point.

For crow quill I am satisfied with smooth bristol, drawing paper (but it's toothy), and the Bainbridges I was talking about earlier.

I haven't tried the EON boards.

For my purposes the BLPs will hold up fine under light crowquill and all the filler can be done with brush or pen or marker, etc...

The Bainbridge 1000 series Hot Press Illustration board is available in 15 x 20, 20 x 30, or 30 x 40 inches, I think... Remember that the general ratio for a comic board is 10 x 15 or 2:3. There's plenty of room to play on those big illustration boards.

And they're sturdy enough that you could basically put anything on them.

But you might want to hear a second opinion, since I don't like to order big supplies of things over the internet before I try them in person -- I was just lucky with BLP as a solitary store carried a small pack of boards for me to try.

I've been satisfied with BLP's customer service as well.

[dannthr]
[DeviantArt]
Dannthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
Justice41
Piss Off

Here's something I drew on and inked with Crow-quills on Eon Boards. I also did a bit o ink-wash as well and nary a paper shredding or anything screwy. The board is thick about as thick as the old Image Boards. You want a close-up of detail's to show how crisply the paper took the quills let me know and I'll scan something in. Oh and guys you get what you pay for. Pay cheap get cheap.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:14 AM   #8
Cap
zip zap rap

Cap will become famous soon enough

I've been using Eon myself recently, about 96 sheets for 67$ seemed like a good value. It handles pencils very well, I'm an erase-o-holic sometimes and I hardly see any ghosting at all, or wear on the paper. I used to draw on just vanilla Strathmore bristol and their vellum before, which I still do for more traditional pieces.
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
prochristi86

Wow, Justice41! Not only does the image look awesome, further, the board looks like it took the ink really well! I think once I get a really good handle on drawing, I'll start buying Eon paper for general drawing, and this Bainbridge stuff for larger art.

Cap, I'm an erase-o-holic too; I guess I'll have to check Eon's stuff out soon!

James
Old 05-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #10
Justice41
Piss Off

Yeah Brett at Eon is a member here and his stuff was recently changed because inking on the paper was iffy at best. He's a great guy and we should support each other. Plus the boards are great, buy enough and you can also have your logo printed on the boards for your studio.
You guys may want to invest in some non photo blue pencils and Lead holder leads. The Leads are a bit more expensive but they are harder and last much longer than an individual pencil and you don't need to erase if you don't want to.

Last edited by Justice41; 05-09-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
MadCow Menu
Ken Haeser

MadCow Menu will become famous soon enoughMadCow Menu will become famous soon enough

I cut my own from pads of Bristol Strathmore.
The Living Corpse Myspace
MadCow Menu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #12
GW.Fisher
The white L Jamal...

GW.Fisher is just really niceGW.Fisher is just really niceGW.Fisher is just really niceGW.Fisher is just really niceGW.Fisher is just really nice

Me too. 20 sheets for $12.00.
GW.Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #13
Justice41
Piss Off

I still have tons of Bristol that I bought from Strathmore, that I cut down myself, but for specific projects a nice clean professional finish is nice to have as an option.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #14
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Gonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really nice

How do you cut them accurately though? I couldn't cut a straight line with a ruler. lol.
WANT MY COMIC, THE LAST EMBER #0 FOR FREE?! CLICK HERE!
Last Ember Press
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Gonzogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Gonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really nice

For the record, I was using the ones from the Kubert Store (smooth, 2-ply - for pencils), but their prices have gone up since I bought any.
WANT MY COMIC, THE LAST EMBER #0 FOR FREE?! CLICK HERE!
Last Ember Press
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Gonzogoose is offline   Reply With Quote