Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Writer Showcase

Old 08-29-2006, 02:43 PM   #31
Siegen

Siegen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Fish

I noticed on the forums of Kage Productions it is really quiet. Is this group still functional or is it capooot already. It has a nice web site so I am interested.

Siegen
Siegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:04 PM   #32
TheMadGenius
A.K.A. Jason Wright

TheMadGenius is on a distinguished road

Submissions to Dark Horse

I'm glad I came across this topic because I just sent a proposal to Dark Horse this week. Has anyone had any success pitching to Dark Horse? They appear to be the "big fish" in terms of accepting writing proposals without artists attached. According to their submission guidelines I shouldn't expect to hear anything unless they are interested in the project - which is going to drive me crazy for, what, 3, 6, 9 months?? I don't know if my heart can take it!!

Last edited by TheMadGenius; 09-06-2006 at 07:06 PM.
TheMadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:33 AM   #33
darkreaver

darkreaver is on a distinguished road

I think Darkhorse does allow written scripts with out artist attachements, but I think they allow staff artists to look at it and if they are intersted they contact you back, or that is what I have heard.
darkreaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #34
breschau

breschau is on a distinguished road

My limited experience with Dark Horse is the phrase "come back when you're famous," told to an artist friend of mine. Don't know if it's true, but it says a lot.

Speaking of Portland, there's a new company out there doing comics. They are taking subs from just writers.

www.bowlerhatcomics.com
breschau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #35
Jonzeartist
Observer

Jonzeartist is on a distinguished road

As for Platinum Studios I'm profoundly unimpressed with Lee Nording. He compared my work to the Adam Sandler piece of crap movie "Little Nicky". He claimed that he read my work but tha'ts a lie, if he truly did then he would NOT have compared it to "Little Nicky".

Jon
Jonzeartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #36
Jonzeartist
Observer

Jonzeartist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Monroe
Vertigo and Wildstorm are both part of DC Comics. If you scroll down to the "Companies not Currrently Accepting Unsolicted Submissions" section, you'll find them there:

DC Comics (includes Wildstorm and Vertigo)

Your only real chance there is to talk to an editor at a convention and get them to give you permission to send them something. Otherwise, you'll just get filed in the round file.
Yeah when it comes to Marvel and DC...THEY decide what they want to publish as in they seek out talent...not the other way around.

Jon
Jonzeartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #37
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

Hey, Lee Nordling hasn't been at Platinum for awhile. Not sure if they're still taking unsolicited submissions or not, but the new EIC is Jim McLaughlin. And he kicks butt.
D.J. Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #38
TheDeeMan

TheDeeMan has a spectacular aura aboutTheDeeMan has a spectacular aura aboutTheDeeMan has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, from what I understand Platinum isn't taking submissions anymore. I too was "unthrilled" with Lee Nordling's ability to assess the quality of submissions. And believe me, this was a WIDELY held belief amongst folks who'd submitted to Platinum awhile back. One guy got so pissed off at Nordling that he took his project to Energy Entertainment and got optioned for a movie deal. But, as DJ points out, Lee isn't Platinum's submissions editor anymore. Sid Davis is Platinum's submissions editor. At least the last time I checked.

Honestly? I don't think Platinum is, was, or ever will be interested in publishing anything by anybody outside of it's little "universe" other then the contests like the one DJ won that ultimately serves to get Platinum publicity for it's in-house comics.

Dee

Last edited by TheDeeMan; 05-23-2007 at 08:16 AM.
TheDeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #39
Lee Nordling

Lee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really nice

Submissions from my unimpressive past

Hey, Jon.

I actually remember our chat about your submission from some years ago, and I recall you being just as upset about my response to your submission as you are here in your posting...

...and perhaps so upset that you don't recall what I said; I do...because it was one of those answers I hated to give...because the rejection had nothing to do with the quality of your work. It had to do with market forces that existed at the time, unfair market forces perhaps, but realistic ones that involved making a determination about the fair use of my time.

Prior to reviewing your submission, I'd seen and supported a couple "son/relative-of-Satan" stories. Because Little Nicky had just bombed out in the theaters, I was told that we couldn't set up ANYTHING that had this "relationship" element in it, that studios were treating "satan" stories like the plague. Then your pitch arrived, and I tried explaining that we couldn't sell it because of surface similarities to Little Nicky, NOT because your story was the same as Little Nicky. I recall trying to explain this to you over the phone, and obviously I did a poor job of it, because if there's one thing that's true: I read your pitch; I didn't/don't lie about that.

I can appreciate that after this experience you were unimpressed with me and chose not to submit more; nobody's for everybody, so that's fair.

But during my tenure at Platinum, I did my best to respond to every submission that crossed my desk--we are talking about thousands of submissions--and I gave constructive and/or realistic answers, albeit sometimes short ones, for why I needed to pass on a majority of them.

I think it's the role editors to be advocates for projects they can embrace (for any number of reasons), and it's the role of writers to FIND advocates for their projects.

When the two get together, it's a lot of fun.

When they don't come together with a mutual appreciation for a story, that doesn't mean anybody did anything bad; it just means that project wasn't the glue to bring them together.

Anyway, Jon, I never gave you (or anybody) the bum's rush on a rejection, and I was always willing to discuss whatever was necessary to reach common ground with a creator. THAT'S why I called you all those years ago to discuss this, rather than ignoring your submission or simply writing, "It's not what we're looking for." I don't think "it's not what we're looking for" helps anybody figure out what I AM looking for, and this is why I spent whatever time was necessary with creators who wanted to work with me.

I'm just sorry it didn't work out between us.

I hope you found a good home for your story.

Best always (and yep, I really mean that).

--Lee

CHANGE OF TOPIC.

Hey, DJ.

Hope all is well.

--Lee
Lee Nordling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #40
Raven
Writer

Raven has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzeartist
As for Platinum Studios I'm profoundly unimpressed with Lee Nording. He compared my work to the Adam Sandler piece of crap movie "Little Nicky". He claimed that he read my work but tha'ts a lie, if he truly did then he would NOT have compared it to "Little Nicky".

Jon
I always found Lee to be very intelligent and helpful. We don't always agree about the marketplace, but he knows what he is talking about when it comes to film and writing.

I'd take his critique more seriously if you actually plan on being a professional.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #41
rcosgrove
Loudmouth copy editor

rcosgrove will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
I always found Lee to be very intelligent and helpful. We don't always agree about the marketplace, but he knows what he is talking about when it comes to film and writing.
Ditto.

With me Lee went out of his way to helpful, gave realistic advice after I submitted work, and was very encouraging.

I don't expect to receive a personal reply and a critique of a submission from a publisher who rejects a project, as I know how little time they have, but that's what Lee gave me. And his advice was extremely useful.

So, if you're reading this, thanks Lee.

- Richard

--
SYNDROME - COMING WINTER 2007
Richard Cosgrove
Online portfolio | ComicSpace | MySpace
Columnist: Voices in my Head @ Scryptic Studios (I'm back)

Last edited by rcosgrove; 07-05-2007 at 12:12 PM.
rcosgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #42
knockedoutpanzer
Hails Cthulhu!

knockedoutpanzer has disabled reputation

I too have had the pleasure of contact with Lee Nordling,(Oh it was ages ago!). He was always courteous,always professional. A gentleman and a scholar. His criticisms were always valid and frankly,wise.

Cheers Lee!

Rejection blows but it's part of writing as it's part of other aspects of life. Learn from it ,though that may sound trite, otherwise you'll just get so embittered you won't bother to write anymore.
knockedoutpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #43
Lee Nordling

Lee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really nice

Thanks!

Thanks, Raven & Richard (& Knockedoutpanzer, who posted while I was writing)!

I think there is too little conversation in the trenches between editors and writers about company goals and personal goals.

Clear communication remains important to me. Sometimes it's less important that we agree, and more important that we understand the point of view from the other side of the desk well enough so that we have a foundation for building a relationship on a project, or with each other, or simply deciding to move on.

--Lee

PS. I don't recognize the "Raven" or "Knockedoutpanzer" monikers, but I'd be happy to get back in touch. (You, too, Richard, whom I do remember, and fondly.) I'm at lee.nordling@gmail.com.

Last edited by Lee Nordling; 07-05-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Lee Nordling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #44
RegularJoe

RegularJoe is on a distinguished road

I can honestly say that Lee Nordling is one of the nicest, intelligent people i have come across, in relation to comic book and visual mediums.. though he did bust my balls when it was warranted. Devin...
RegularJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #45
cylisderrens

cylisderrens is on a distinguished road

New links

Do you have any new links for 2007?

I just want to know who's looking.
cylisderrens is offline   Reply With Quote