The Talent Engine
 
 

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Writer Showcase

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #16
Caleb Monroe
That guy.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 417
Caleb Monroe will become famous soon enoughCaleb Monroe will become famous soon enough

Vertigo and Wildstorm are both part of DC Comics. If you scroll down to the "Companies not Currrently Accepting Unsolicted Submissions" section, you'll find them there:

DC Comics (includes Wildstorm and Vertigo)

Your only real chance there is to talk to an editor at a convention and get them to give you permission to send them something. Otherwise, you'll just get filed in the round file.

(Anyone else with experience/advice on getting a submission solicited, please chime in here)

Here's something I've discovered: having a published book makes it a lot easier to get editors' attention. I'm currently self-publishing Redchapel, but have also been shopping it around to other publishers, both as a writing sample and as something for them to potentially pick up. Pretty much any editor I've approached has read it, and several of them approached me at my WWLA table of their own volition. I've only had the books in my hands for about three weeks, and I've already gotten some potential work with one publisher and some very promising leads with several others.

So you may want to consider finishing the entire first issue of Project E, printing it up cheap and POD, then hitting cons and using it as both your book submission and writing samples.
Caleb Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:13 AM   #17
eltonpruitt
Registered User
 
eltonpruitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 256
eltonpruitt is on a distinguished road

POD and sample/submission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacaleb
Vertigo and Wildstorm are both part of DC Comics. If you scroll down to the "Companies not Currrently Accepting Unsolicted Submissions" section, you'll find them there:

DC Comics (includes Wildstorm and Vertigo)

Your only real chance there is to talk to an editor at a convention and get them to give you permission to send them something. Otherwise, you'll just get filed in the round file.

(Anyone else with experience/advice on getting a submission solicited, please chime in here)

Here's something I've discovered: having a published book makes it a lot easier to get editors' attention. I'm currently self-publishing Redchapel, but have also been shopping it around to other publishers, both as a writing sample and as something for them to potentially pick up. Pretty much any editor I've approached has read it, and several of them approached me at my WWLA table of their own volition. I've only had the books in my hands for about three weeks, and I've already gotten some potential work with one publisher and some very promising leads with several others.

So you may want to consider finishing the entire first issue of Project E, printing it up cheap and POD, then hitting cons and using it as both your book submission and writing samples.
That is very encouraging to hear. My initial plan with this project I am working on was to do the whole thing (four-issue limited series) POD and use it as both a submission and sample of what I can do.

Well, I couldn't afford my artist for that much work. So now I'm on plan B, which is completing enough pages for a submission. But I am still sorely tempted to try to at least complete the first issue, for the reasons you describe. It seems like being able to hand an editor or publisher an actual printed book and say, "I did this," would have to carry a bit more weight than the run of the mill submissions they must get by the truckload.
__________________
Elton Pruitt
Writer by Night

Read Running Up That Hill - new every Thursday at Scryptic Studios!

EltonPruitt.com | EltonSpace | My ComicSpace
eltonpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #18
Caleb Monroe
That guy.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 417
Caleb Monroe will become famous soon enoughCaleb Monroe will become famous soon enough

Ty Gorton (Image's Runes of Ragnan) has some interesting thoughts and a success story along those lines.

You can check out the rest of the topics on his "Confessions of a Comic Book Creator" blog here.
Caleb Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:16 PM   #19
eltonpruitt
Registered User
 
eltonpruitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 256
eltonpruitt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacaleb
Ty Gorton (Image's Runes of Ragnan) has some interesting thoughts and a success story along those lines.

You can check out the rest of the topics on his "Confessions of a Comic Book Creator" blog here.
Yeah, Ty is actually quite an inspiration for me. I subscribe to his blog, and between that and JMS's column at Newsarama, I tend to find something inspiring and motivational to read at just the right time.

Do you have any experience with either Ka-Blam or ComiXpress? I ordered a sample from both to check out the quality of their work.
__________________
Elton Pruitt
Writer by Night

Read Running Up That Hill - new every Thursday at Scryptic Studios!

EltonPruitt.com | EltonSpace | My ComicSpace
eltonpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:20 PM   #20
Caleb Monroe
That guy.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 417
Caleb Monroe will become famous soon enoughCaleb Monroe will become famous soon enough

Afraid I don't, but if you post that question in Creator Community, I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers.
Caleb Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #21
Peedee
Writer of word-things!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 56
Peedee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonpruitt
That is very encouraging to hear. My initial plan with this project I am working on was to do the whole thing (four-issue limited series) POD and use it as both a submission and sample of what I can do.

Well, I couldn't afford my artist for that much work. So now I'm on plan B, which is completing enough pages for a submission. But I am still sorely tempted to try to at least complete the first issue, for the reasons you describe. It seems like being able to hand an editor or publisher an actual printed book and say, "I did this," would have to carry a bit more weight than the run of the mill submissions they must get by the truckload.
I think I'm following you down that same path, honestly. As such, the CCS list will (hopefully) come in very handily.
__________________
______________________________________________
Pete Tzinski

Since you obviously want to draw a mini-series, you may as well click this link.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too hard to read." -- Groucho Marx
Peedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:15 PM   #22
DannoE
Another wannabe
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 1,182
DannoE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonpruitt
Do you have any experience with either Ka-Blam or ComiXpress? I ordered a sample from both to check out the quality of their work.
Both are okay. In my experience, the stuff from Ka-Blam looks better than the stuff from ComixPress. For whatever reason, ComixPress has a sort of dot-matrix feel to it IMO. Ka-Blam looks great and can do color for reasonable cost. That's a good deal.

Plus, Ka-Blam will generally do a bit of quality control check on your order whereas ComixPress will send you a book complete with all of the pre-press mistakes you forgot to fix such as the one page of low-rez art you forgot to replace with hi-rez in the middle of the book. That ain't good.
__________________
DannoE

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

Awesome Storm Justice 41
Stray Voltage
MySpace

And now Bronx Angel on ComicSpace! Hooray!
DannoE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #23
eltonpruitt
Registered User
 
eltonpruitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 256
eltonpruitt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoE
Both are okay. In my experience, the stuff from Ka-Blam looks better than the stuff from ComixPress. For whatever reason, ComixPress has a sort of dot-matrix feel to it IMO. Ka-Blam looks great and can do color for reasonable cost. That's a good deal.

Plus, Ka-Blam will generally do a bit of quality control check on your order whereas ComixPress will send you a book complete with all of the pre-press mistakes you forgot to fix such as the one page of low-rez art you forgot to replace with hi-rez in the middle of the book. That ain't good.
Thanks! That is exactly the kind of first-hand info I was hoping to get.
__________________
Elton Pruitt
Writer by Night

Read Running Up That Hill - new every Thursday at Scryptic Studios!

EltonPruitt.com | EltonSpace | My ComicSpace
eltonpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:44 AM
DannoE
This message has been deleted by DannoE. Reason: We closed. The magazine's done.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:50 AM   #24
DemolitionSamurai
Can derail any thread
 
DemolitionSamurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Portland, ME
Posts: 1,856
DemolitionSamurai is a splendid one to beholdDemolitionSamurai is a splendid one to beholdDemolitionSamurai is a splendid one to beholdDemolitionSamurai is a splendid one to beholdDemolitionSamurai is a splendid one to beholdDemolitionSamurai is a splendid one to beholdDemolitionSamurai is a splendid one to beholdDemolitionSamurai is a splendid one to beholdDemolitionSamurai is a splendid one to beholdDemolitionSamurai is a splendid one to beholdDemolitionSamurai is a splendid one to behold

If you do more adult themed work, there's good ol' Heavy Metal.
They mostly just accept short stories, though, since the larger ones go to the Heavy Metal powerhouses.
http://www.metaltv.com/page.cfm?id=352
DemolitionSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:14 AM   #25
Icaruss
The Masked Avenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Peru. And I'm not freaking kidding.
Posts: 185
Icaruss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcosgrove
Com-X - UK comic publisher. Currently not accepting submissions until early 2006.
See? That's why I love the British. MOST CONSIDERATE WRITER SUBMISSION SYSTEM EVER.
Icaruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #26
Lovecraft13
Mac the Knife
 
Lovecraft13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 6,778
Lovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to behold

Anyone know of any anthology books are accepting submissions?
__________________
The "Abigail & Rox" series is available exclusively for download on the iTunes Store, and come visit us on Facebook.
Lovecraft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:53 PM   #27
Siegen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3
Siegen is on a distinguished road

What about presses that are accepting Manga style script submissions? I really didn't see any on there that take submissions for that style of medium..
Siegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:09 PM   #28
Bob the Fish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4
Bob the Fish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegen
What about presses that are accepting Manga style script submissions? I really didn't see any on there that take submissions for that style of medium..
http://kageuniverse.com/news/submissions/index.htm
Bob the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #29
martin993
Plan 10 From Outer Space
 
martin993's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Attackosaur.com
Posts: 463
martin993 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaruss
See? That's why I love the British. MOST CONSIDERATE WRITER SUBMISSION SYSTEM EVER.
Hey, man. Do you know if these guys are still going? Just asking because there's nothing in the news section since 2004. Don't want to submit to someone if there's nobody home, if you know what I mean.
martin993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:10 PM   #30
JamieRoberts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 3,600
JamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud of

They've been quiet for too long. Even if they're still technically a company, I doubt they have the resources to publish your comic. I hope I'm wrong, because I loved Puncture and Cla$$war.
JamieRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1997-2015 Digital Webbing, LLC