The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 10-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
Redking84

Redking84 is a jewel in the roughRedking84 is a jewel in the roughRedking84 is a jewel in the rough

Illustrator vs Manga Studio and Questions

I'm learning how to letter and I downloaded Blambot fonts but I need a lot of assistance to progress. I'm assuming Illustrator is better for letters than Manga Studio since most letterers seem to use it, however Manga Studio is a lot cheaper to own. Can I produce quality traditional (nonmanga) style pages with manga studio or do I need to immediately invest in Illustrator?
Redking84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

I'm a big fan of Manga Studio, but its lettering tools are emphatically not fit for anything resembling professional standard lettering. The typographic controls are nowhere near precise enough, for a start, and the font handling doesn't support OpenType ligatures.

Pretty much all professional letterers are using Illustrator (although I know of a couple who work directly in InDesign), mainly because working on printed books requires a colour-managed workflow and Adobe has this sector of the design/production market sewn up.

If you're running Windows, CorelDraw may well be an acceptable alternative, and if you're not wedded to a colour-managed CMYK workflow, then you might find something like Inkscape will meet your needs.

I'm currently very enthusiastic about Affinity Designer (Mac only) which is doing a very good job of positioning itself as a possible Illustrator replacement.

Cheers

Jim
JimCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Redking84

Redking84 is a jewel in the roughRedking84 is a jewel in the roughRedking84 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks a lot Jim, industry standard is the goal. Thank you for this useful feedback.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Ghost

Ghost is on a distinguished road

I agree with Jim. Being able to work with vectors really frees you up to manipulate text without loss of quality. Im pretty sure Adobe released the older CS2 version of Illustrator a year or two ago online, its worth checking out.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
Redking84

Gotcha. I just bought the license for and older copy of Illustrator, I like it a lot, so many fonts I don't know what to do with them. I'll upload some attempts at lettering soon. I'll need a lot of tips to improve.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
Ghost

Ghost is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redking84 View Post
Gotcha. I just bought the license for and older copy of Illustrator, I like it a lot, so many fonts I don't know what to do with them. I'll upload some attempts at lettering soon. I'll need a lot of tips to improve.
Ah nice. One of the cool things about Illustrator is the ability to 'outline' a font and be able to stretch it around to make SFX and such. Also is pretty helpful for making logos.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:10 AM   #7
Redking84

Interesting, I actually browsed over an article on creating fonts. I figure for now it's over my head but it is 'definitely' in the near future for me. Esp since I need to learn SFX and I am seeing awesome cover letters and company logos, I don't even know where to start with those. Slowly but surely
Old 11-01-2014, 01:48 AM   #8
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah... I love Illustrator for manipulating text.

You can make text along a curve with a font close to what you want, then convert to curves, then stretch and manipulate your way to what you want reasonably easily.