Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Inker Showcase

Old 08-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
grumpyfatfury

grumpyfatfury is on a distinguished road

Silver Surfer

A pencil commission by my buddy Don that I recently inked.

grumpyfatfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

This looks very good.

A couple of crits:

Connect all your lines. Norrin shouldn't have that hole near his traps. Also, his ear is too pronounced.

Second, it looks like Galan has two different eyes. Two different sides of his face, really. The right side of his face is fine. The left side looks bigger, with a strange looking eye and extra space around his cheekbone that the right side doesn't have. It looks like you tried to fix it with some highlighting, but it didn't turn out right.

If you're just following the pencils, don't forget that part of your job is also to fix mistakes in the pencils. The inker is the unsung hero of the penciler.

Be the hero.
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
grumpyfatfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Forbes View Post
This looks very good.

A couple of crits:

Connect all your lines. Norrin shouldn't have that hole near his traps. Also, his ear is too pronounced.

Second, it looks like Galan has two different eyes. Two different sides of his face, really. The right side of his face is fine. The left side looks bigger, with a strange looking eye and extra space around his cheekbone that the right side doesn't have. It looks like you tried to fix it with some highlighting, but it didn't turn out right.

If you're just following the pencils, don't forget that part of your job is also to fix mistakes in the pencils. The inker is the unsung hero of the penciler.

Be the hero.
Thanks for the critiques; much appreciated in taking the time. I can definitely see the issue with Galactus' face now that it's been pointed out. Something I should have attempt to fix during my process.

And I can agree with the Surfer's shoulder as well; although it's funny, some people post here I don't break up my holding lines enough, and others too much...I'll get it right one day!

Cheers,
J
Old 08-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
VANDAL
VANDAL

VANDAL will become famous soon enough

It's WHERE you break your holding lines that matters too. Note Galactus' helmet. Those holding lines are broken but look good because of the light source directly behind him. On SS's upper shoulder (where it's connected to his neck behind his ear) you could have broken the holding line at the apex of the curve and it would have worked because of the light source behind him. It's not a hard thing to fix though.
VANDAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
crognus

crognus is a jewel in the roughcrognus is a jewel in the roughcrognus is a jewel in the rough

Are you going to repost an ink with the edits people mentioned?

Facebook: www.facebook.com/jaycrowcomics
Twitter: @jaycrowcomics
crognus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
grumpyfatfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDAL View Post
It's WHERE you break your holding lines that matters too. Note Galactus' helmet. Those holding lines are broken but look good because of the light source directly behind him. On SS's upper shoulder (where it's connected to his neck behind his ear) you could have broken the holding line at the apex of the curve and it would have worked because of the light source behind him. It's not a hard thing to fix though.
Again, good advice. Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
grumpyfatfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by crognus View Post
Are you going to repost an ink with the edits people mentioned?
Thanks for the question, but unfortunately, no. This was done traditionally as line art for a print that has already moved on production.

All criticisms are greatly appreciated and taken into account when starting something new.

Thanks