The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 01-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

I'm old and think mainstream Comicbooks stink

So,.... I read the Poe Dameron trade w art by Phil Noto a while back and my friend just pick up the trade and said... "I can't get through it. It looks like nothing but traced technical drawings and some people all the ships, storm troopers, etc"

Yes this is why I'm finding it tough to read mainstream comics. Or... Maybe I'm just old and miss guys like Erik Larsen, Frank Miller, and Mark Bagley drawing my favorite comics.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #2
Duane Korslund
F!@* Symmetry!!

Duane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to behold

hehehe, sounds like me when talking about new music. To my old ears it all sounds like regurgitated garbage from the 90's.

As far as comics go, I can barely read Marvel...I do read some DC titles, just because...well...they keep a more cohesive universe and story line that Marvel nowadays. But my mainstream tastes are very limited.
Duane Korslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

^this on both counts.

Honestly that doesn't bother me as much the art.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
Selkirk
furious sketch artist

Selkirk will become famous soon enoughSelkirk will become famous soon enough

yah gotta agree man.. so much of it today just looks traced. there are still top notch pros working (coipel/pepe larraz/pichelli) tho.

visit my deviant art page
http://selkirk.deviantart.com/
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #5
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

It's just the trends in comic book art I think, when one style is loved and everyone mimics it....boring.

Plus, a lot of the new guys are great draftsman, but lack any individual style.
There is always a few good ones around.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #6
Selkirk
furious sketch artist

yeah i think this is true..i imagine there are about the same number of 'top tier' artists working each generation (i can name 7 i really really like pretty easy). maybe the drop off is at the middle and lower tiers.

and agree there is a house style that is emerging..but as noted could just be a phase.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:28 AM   #7
dmh_3000

dmh_3000 is just really nicedmh_3000 is just really nicedmh_3000 is just really nicedmh_3000 is just really nicedmh_3000 is just really nice

I'm actually finding myself buying more older comics. By which I mean 90s and 00s. I'm really glad they're reprinting Chuck Dixon's Nightwing, Robin and Birds of Prey runs because those stories are still entertaining as hell. And the main reason is because he was allowed to build the world around the characters and go at his own pace.

Also, there has always been kind of a 'house style' in each generation of comics, at least to me. It's more that certain styles of artwork were favoured. You had to have that big, beefy, crow quill inked, overly rendered style back in the day. But not every comic had that artwork, just a lot did, so it's referred to as the "90s style" of art.
dmh_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:44 AM   #8
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

I like when there are different styles in play. Sometimes I like more detailed work, other times I like more cartoon looking. Depends on my mood and the type of story being told.

I think it's fine to have a favorite style and to not like some of what is out there. On the plus side, if you truly don't like it, you get to save money by not buying it. It's more enjoyable BUT definitely more expensive the more stuff you like!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #9
JRXTIN

JRXTIN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brian deberry View Post
So,.... I read the Poe Dameron trade w art by Phil Noto a while back and my friend just pick up the trade and said... "I can't get through it. It looks like nothing but traced technical drawings and some people all the ships, storm troopers, etc"
I looked it up and, yeah, there's basically nothing going on with the lines, and the colors aren't anything special either.

I liked Cam Kennedy's Star Wars books, but usually Star Wars comics are pretty bad. I wonder why they don't get better artists than the superhero books, or at least artists who are as good as the SH books get?

Deviant Art
JRXTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #10
Selkirk
furious sketch artist

i think part of it is with the mass market (non comic readers) the art just frankly doesn't matter. on batman you have to have a good artist(or at least a promising one).

on han solo or poe dameron these comics are being bought to some degree by star wars fans who might not buy other comics. i think there is a certain calculus with lost sales due to mediocre art and the companies are wiling to roll with it (they have found they don't lose that much and over time people sort of forget what high level art is).

and of course a lot of good artists are doing movies/games/animation etc .. now.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #11
dmh_3000

dmh_3000 is just really nicedmh_3000 is just really nicedmh_3000 is just really nicedmh_3000 is just really nicedmh_3000 is just really nice

Speed is also a factor. Disney is trying to build a brand new universe to match the old one as fast as possible so it's likely the creative teams on those books are getting a lot of pressure to get the books done as quick as possible. As such, they'd have to cut corners.
dmh_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:15 AM   #12
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Cam Kennedy had a great way of dealing with shadows and effects.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #13
aaimiller

aaimiller is on a distinguished road

Chris Eliopoulos should be drawing the comics as well as writing them.
aaimiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #14
paradoxuniverses

paradoxuniverses is on a distinguished road

I fill the same way about comic's today but I think it's just because I'm getting older, also some of the mainstream Big comic companies like Marvel are running out of ideas how many spidermen do you need? for one spiderman book
paradoxuniverses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #15
JRXTIN

JRXTIN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxuniverses View Post
I fill the same way about comic's today but I think it's just because I'm getting older, also some of the mainstream Big comic companies like Marvel are running out of ideas how many spidermen do you need? for one spiderman book

EXACTLY!!

Imagine what shape the prose book industry would be in if the only books you could get were Sherlock Holmes issue 5000 and or the Superior Sherlock Holmes reboot.

Deviant Art
JRXTIN is offline   Reply With Quote