Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 04-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
vinbat

vinbat is on a distinguished road

Is it common to have your characters created by an artist who won't inking?

Hello, quick question.

Basically the title, I am seeing a bunch of great artists who do portrait style work and character design, but won't do sequential. Is it common for an artist like that to create the original characters, that could be handed off to a sequential inker who can imitate the style?
vinbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

"Sequential Inker"? Do you mean "sequential artist"? Typical an inker will ink over the pencil art done by the primary artist on the book. It's not terribly uncommon for an artist to use someone else's designs and imitate their style if that is what is desired. However, why would you want to do that? Wouldn't you rather the artist on your book create the design so that they are more vested in the character, etc.?
Old 04-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
RobertS

RobertS is on a distinguished road

I have seen a lot of great painters, character designers and illustrators with beautiful work, but their work is horrible when they try to do sequential art - so that could be it. I think comic panel layout is an art in itself and not every one can do it.
RobertS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
vinbat

Quote:
"Sequential Inker"? Do you mean "sequential artist"? Typical an inker will ink over the pencil art done by the primary artist on the book. It's not terribly uncommon for an artist to use someone else's designs and imitate their style if that is what is desired. However, why would you want to do that? Wouldn't you rather the artist on your book create the design so that they are more vested in the character, etc.?
Yes, thank you for the response. Sorry for my word vomit, did not come out cleanly. I don't think I would prefer to do it this way; I stumbled upon an artist whose style is EXACTLY what is in my head, but she doesn't do sequential.

An artist doing both - like you suggest - seems to be the better way, I just want to exhaust all possible options.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #5
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

The problem I see is that you will have a hard time finding an artist that will stay happy long term just emulating someone else's style. Most artists that I know want to be able to express themselves and show their own style. I'm not saying it can't be done. I just think it might be more difficult.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:38 AM   #6
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

Style is one thing... if you like a particular style, then I agree you'd be better off finding a sequential artist who works in a similar style to also do your character designs.

That said... it is a fairly common thing for a writer/creator to get an artist to do character designs for a "bible" on how the character should look and then that artist doesn't necessarily have anything to do with telling the story later. In that case, the character designs would be used as reference to get the general look of characters and costumes consistent for whatever artist you choose to tell your story, but then that artist would likely work in a different style than the character design.

Character design is often clean and less about style than it is about nailing down all the important details of how you want the character to look.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

Design work and sequential art are two totally different things. It isn't terribly uncommon for two different artists to handle those jobs. If possible, you can hire the one artist as a character designer and concept artist, and then get a different person to tell the story in sequential art. There will be artists willing to draw in whatever style you want if they have the ability to and you are willing to pay them.
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
vinbat

Thank you for your responses, everyone.

This has been very helpful.