The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 05-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

He-Man fan book Kickstarter??? possible?

so...some of you have seen the He-Man fan comic I'm working on. I'm doing it with my brother and have been working on it for years off and on. but we are committed to finishing it because there is SO much of it done.

we want to do a Kickstarter to fund printing of books. just the first 3 parts..the first 3 stories, which are 98% done, would comprise a book of 85 pages or so. and that's just book 1.

book 2...which would be about the same page count...80 plus pages or so.. is like...85% done.

and book 3...which would be a few small wrap up stories..i don't know how long cause none of its started..and its a ways off..would probably be 40 pages.

ANYway....obviously wanting to do this on a owned property is not normally something you could do. but we have all seen things like this out there..done with no problem it seems.

there was as guy that did a He-man coloring book that did a kickstarter successfully for $1800.
and there was a documentary He-man film that made $76,000 on a goal of $25,000 ..tho this was...maybe okayed thru official channels.. I don't know..

and there is a fan film that made $12,000...the "fall of Grayskull"

anyway...do you think I would just get shut down if I tried this...just to get the books printed.. it will cost about $1200 for the paper back books I want to put together with color cover and black and white interiors. and I think people would like to read them. I think. anyway... thoughts? am I just asking for trouble?

Rob
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
RobertS

RobertS is on a distinguished road

My thoughts and i could be completely wrong...
It is usually up to the holder of the trademark. Some guard their properties very strongly, some don't. That being said, with a new He-Man movie being made and DC Comics holding the printing rights to the characters, I think you might have some trouble.

Back in the 80's, I did Masters of the Universe Apparel designs and they were very fussy about the look of each character, everything needed to be approved and they were really on top of the trademark...That was 30 years ago during the height of the popularity, things could have changed since then. .
RobertS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #3
DCdraw

DCdraw is on a distinguished road

I think you would have to license the use of those characters from Mattel and that would probably cost a lot of money. Licensing seems to be how Mattel is making money these days from the MOTU property.
Not sure what is up with those Kickstarters you mentioned, maybe worth it to track them down and ask what they had to do. Also look into doing it under Fair Use if possible.
DCdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCdraw View Post
I think you would have to license the use of those characters from Mattel and that would probably cost a lot of money. Licensing seems to be how Mattel is making money these days from the MOTU property.
Not sure what is up with those Kickstarters you mentioned, maybe worth it to track them down and ask what they had to do. Also look into doing it under Fair Use if possible.
Yeah ill have to do some checking. Just wondered what others may know. I really want to do this . Ill print a few books up on my own if i need to and sell them individually ...but a Kickstarter to grt the word out would be fun
Old 05-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #5
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

I think copyright would be a problem for you since your book isn't satire or public domain.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Have to agree with Bishop.
Fair Use is generally for parody and review/critique purposes.
If MOTU is getting a reboot soon, it might be very difficult to get away with using someone else's intellectual property on a very public site.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #7
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

yeah- a new movie has been in the works for a while. It may be on hold now, I think, but they are still trying to keep the brand and find new life in it. That’s what makes me think they wouldn’t turn a blind eye to something as public as a kickstarter. Actually, Kickstarter may not even approve it. They’ve gotten in some trouble for copyright violations in the past.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:57 PM   #8
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
yeah- a new movie has been in the works for a while. It may be on hold now, I think, but they are still trying to keep the brand and find new life in it. That’s what makes me think they wouldn’t turn a blind eye to something as public as a kickstarter. Actually, Kickstarter may not even approve it. They’ve gotten in some trouble for copyright violations in the past.

And that I understand...but thats why i mentioned those other projects that were done as examples of how it MAY be possible. I dont know...