The Talent Engine
 
 

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
russbrett
Sidekicks(Writer/Creator)
 
russbrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 238
russbrett has a spectacular aura aboutrussbrett has a spectacular aura about

Comix Well Spring

Comix Well Spring

Has anyone ever printed with them before?

They appear to have the best price for Print-on-Demand that I've yet to find ($2.45 for a 24 page / full color standard size comic).

They also scale down the price as the print run increases (something none of the other POD seem to do).

I googled "Comix Well Spring Reviews" and came up empty.

Any help is appreciated.
russbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Aaron Walther
Writer Guy
 
Aaron Walther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 860
Aaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to all

I just placed a rush order with them to have books in time for C2E2. I'll let you know how they turn out.
__________________
My Facebook
My Blog
My Comics
Aaron Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
russbrett
Sidekicks(Writer/Creator)
 
russbrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 238
russbrett has a spectacular aura aboutrussbrett has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Walther View Post
I just placed a rush order with them to have books in time for C2E2. I'll let you know how they turn out.
Thanks, Aaron.

Anyone else?
russbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Aaron Walther
Writer Guy
 
Aaron Walther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 860
Aaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to all

Well, I made my order on Friday, April 12, and the order showed up Friday, April 19, and that was with a day delay due to inclement weather.

I had the books shipped to a friend in Chicago to make sure I would have them for c2e2, so I haven't seen them yet. I was not expecting them to ship so quickly. Preliminary reports are that the books look good and all the pages are in order.

After c2e2, I can give you a direct comparison with Ka-blam as to the print quality of the books, but for now, I'm very impressed with their communication and speedy order process.
__________________
My Facebook
My Blog
My Comics
Aaron Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:58 AM   #5
Mecha
Freelance Inker
 
Mecha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 2,013
Mecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to all

I ordered a sketchbook printed through them. Never again.

- They gave us a quote and then overcharged us. By a lot.
- They put the wrong zip code on the shipment so it rode around downtown New York on a UPS truck for 2 freaking days AFTER the required delivery date.
- They had been told to ONLY ship with Fedex, not UPS.
- They stuffed the books into a flimsy square cardboard box, with no filler to keep them from shifting, damaging over a dozen of them (they accordion-ed).
- When we questioned the overcharge, based on knowing EXACTLY what the shipping via UPS cost (thanks to the tracking number) and the difference in the quote, they told us that it was a rush fee and an extra charge for not putting an ad for them in the book. They had known when we were getting the files to them and never ONCE mentioned a rush fee nor that they expected us to leave space for an ad (which reliable printers like Ka-Blam are very up front about). It was never mentioned to us even after we sent them the files.
- When we opened the books we discovered that even though we had laid out the page files exactly to spec -- they had taken it upon themselves to move images around, cutting off artwork and leaving the bleed/trim marks from their printer on the pages.
- They refunded a very small portion of what we'd paid and replaced the damaged books... only the replacements arrived damaged as well because they had again been extremely poorly packed. They refused to do anything about it.
- They had the nerve to tell us we were wrong about the quotes, etc when everything had been documented and kept in order.

I would never, ever recommend them to anyone.
__________________
My Current Gallery

For truth, justice, and pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha
See Jim I TOLD you, you can only lose it once!
Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
russbrett
Sidekicks(Writer/Creator)
 
russbrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 238
russbrett has a spectacular aura aboutrussbrett has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Walther View Post
Well, I made my order on Friday, April 12, and the order showed up Friday, April 19, and that was with a day delay due to inclement weather.

I had the books shipped to a friend in Chicago to make sure I would have them for c2e2, so I haven't seen them yet. I was not expecting them to ship so quickly. Preliminary reports are that the books look good and all the pages are in order.

After c2e2, I can give you a direct comparison with Ka-blam as to the print quality of the books, but for now, I'm very impressed with their communication and speedy order process.
Good to hear. Good luck at C2E2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha View Post
I ordered a sketchbook printed through them. Never again.

- They gave us a quote and then overcharged us. By a lot.
- They put the wrong zip code on the shipment so it rode around downtown New York on a UPS truck for 2 freaking days AFTER the required delivery date.
- They had been told to ONLY ship with Fedex, not UPS.
- They stuffed the books into a flimsy square cardboard box, with no filler to keep them from shifting, damaging over a dozen of them (they accordion-ed).
- When we questioned the overcharge, based on knowing EXACTLY what the shipping via UPS cost (thanks to the tracking number) and the difference in the quote, they told us that it was a rush fee and an extra charge for not putting an ad for them in the book. They had known when we were getting the files to them and never ONCE mentioned a rush fee nor that they expected us to leave space for an ad (which reliable printers like Ka-Blam are very up front about). It was never mentioned to us even after we sent them the files.
- When we opened the books we discovered that even though we had laid out the page files exactly to spec -- they had taken it upon themselves to move images around, cutting off artwork and leaving the bleed/trim marks from their printer on the pages.
- They refunded a very small portion of what we'd paid and replaced the damaged books... only the replacements arrived damaged as well because they had again been extremely poorly packed. They refused to do anything about it.
- They had the nerve to tell us we were wrong about the quotes, etc when everything had been documented and kept in order.

I would never, ever recommend them to anyone.
Not so good to hear.

Thanks for the info.
russbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Aaron Walther
Writer Guy
 
Aaron Walther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 860
Aaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to all

Okay, here's the breakdown on my order with ComixWellSpring.

I placed my order on April 12 and they assured me that I would have the books in time for c2E2, and indeed, the books showed up on April 19, a week after I made the order and a week before the convention.

I made an order for 100 copies of a 32 page full color book. The cost was about 10 bucks cheaper than Ka-blam and the shipping was also 10 bucks cheaper, so I saved $20 total, but the order was taken care of in a single week's time. For that price, it would have taken Ka-blam 4 weeks. So, CWS was a little cheaper and much faster.

The quality of the books is pretty good, too. CWS uses a slightly heavier cover stock, so the books stay closed easier. It should be noted that the heavy gloss covers used by CWS do not take sharpie or any other pen ink very well, so we were not able to sign the covers unless we used an acrylic paint pen.

The coloring on the CWS books is a little lighter and less saturated than the Ka-blam books. Here's a side by side comparison of a panel.



You'll note that the trim is a little different as well. I didn't crop the top of the image for that picture. The cut on the CWS books was more consistent and careful. Ka-blam gives themselves lots of gutter space because they are all over the place when they cut pages. Ka-blam's books don't always look the same throughout a single print run. I've had books where logos got trimmed in some and left in tact in the others, and I assure you that I used their template to make sure everything was inside the bleed.

One thing that Ka-blam has over CWS is a cleaner website. Ka-blam's website is intuitive and easy to use. Ka-blam also lets you upload the high res files directly to their website. Then they will build a printable pdf. With CWS, you have to provide your own pdf and download link for the file. I believe they will build the pdf for you but it's a $15 charge, which, if you're ordering less than 250 copies, puts the price $5 higher than Ka-blam's.

However, if you can build your own pdf file, and have a website where you can host downloads or a dropbox or something like that, then it's really not much of an issue. The guy who handled my order at CWS was communicative and easy to work with.

All in all, even though the Ka-blam books weren't "bad", I'd say I'm happier with the ComixWellSpring books.

Also, for future orders with ComixWellSpring, I intend to take advantage of their tiered pricing system and order larger print runs in order to get a lower cost per unit. Ka-blam doesn't offer anything like that on their comics (however, they do have tiered pricing on their tpb's).
__________________
My Facebook
My Blog
My Comics

Last edited by Aaron Walther; 04-30-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Aaron Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
DaveyDouble
Wise Ass
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 406
DaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really nice

That's some good info dude.

Do you have an image of the original frame for comparison?
CWS looks to have higher contrast/less saturation -or- KaBlam has lower contrast/more saturation. would be good to see the original frame they were sent.

D
DaveyDouble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
Aaron Walther
Writer Guy
 
Aaron Walther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 860
Aaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to all

Yeah, I added it to the original post.
__________________
My Facebook
My Blog
My Comics
Aaron Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
russbrett
Sidekicks(Writer/Creator)
 
russbrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 238
russbrett has a spectacular aura aboutrussbrett has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the scans Aaron. You can definitely notice a difference. You're also not the first person to mention the color saturation issue with Ka-Blam books. I noticed it myself when I ordered dmh_3000's book (not to mention the cutting issue - one of the pages was cut right up to the panel - and was off center to boot).

Would love to hear reviews from anyone else who's used Comix Well Spring, or any other online printer.
russbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
DaveyDouble
Wise Ass
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 406
DaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really niceDaveyDouble is just really nice

Yeah, that Ka-Blam page looks like the contrast has been turned down so it's lost some definition between the colours, whereas the Wellspring page hasn't saturated in the same way but the contrast is closer to the original.

I definitely prefer the Wellspring page.
How's the consistency of cutting and printing with the Wellspring books?
DaveyDouble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
Aaron Walther
Writer Guy
 
Aaron Walther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 860
Aaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to allAaron Walther is a name known to all

Forgive the lateness of my reply, been a busy week.

The CWS books are all uniformly cut, to the point that it surprised me. Every single copy looks like it has the exact same cut, which is not the case with Ka-blam's comics.

I should note, I have also printed a trade paperback with Ka-blam, which was cut much better than any of the floppy comics I've gotten from them. While I will probably be going with CWS for future floppy comics, the trades I've seen from Ka-blam (both mine and other creators') have all looked good. I will probably continue to use them for trades unless I find something better.
__________________
My Facebook
My Blog
My Comics
Aaron Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
1997-2013 Digital Webbing, LLC