|06-29-2012, 01:24 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jun 2012
DWLA - Inkspot
Trying to get back into the swing of things before I start re-lettering some of the things I've already posted, and some that I haven't, so that I have the best possible books I can when I actually go to print. Good thing I stumbled across these. They're pretty fun. Lots of variety.
Critiques, tips, and tricks are all welcome, of course.
- I think the letters might be a tad too small. They look like a decent size on the computer screen, but at 85/90% of this, I don't know how legible they might be.
- Qeelocke's sound effects, … Ugh. Tried looking for how it was done before, but couldn't, so I improvised and I'm not really all that sold on them.
- Emplate's leading is also probably too pronounced.
- No real problems. Had to rasterize the image in Illustrator so I could save it with the correct font. I think it messed with the image quality a tad, but maybe not as drastically as I think.
- Just realized that I missed the "Prologue" tag. Eh. Works fine without it.
- This page seemed much more difficult than the others. Lots of fine-tuning and second-guessing. I have to assume it's because of the subject matter, so there's a lot of pacing to do with the balloons, but there's also a lot of opportunities for tangents. Or, I could have just gotten burned out at this point.
- Aaaand, I didn't go through and bold anything. Sigh. I guess I'll let people tell me what works and what doesn't first, then I can go back and try a second attempt.
- Quick and dirty. Wanted to try transitioning the font onto the building, but I couldn't find a decent green that would look consistent across the entire page. Something still doesn't sit right, but I don't know what it is.
- The font I chose didn't have bold, but I had everything laid out before I even checked. Whoops. And now that I've saved it as a .JPG, it doesn't look incredibly readable. Hrm, ...
- Tried using slightly different tails. My usual method ended up looking strange every time.
- Definitely not the most elegant way to pair balloons between panels 4 and 5, but I've read it through a few times and, honestly, Justarius' words could be read in any order and still make sense. So, … I'm not sure if I would change it, even if I could figure out a better way. Suggestions?