The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 07-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
cyxodus
NinjaLettering.com

cyxodus is just really nicecyxodus is just really nicecyxodus is just really nicecyxodus is just really nicecyxodus is just really nice

Balloon Slanting by Clem Robins

Being that Clem can't login to this forum for some unknown reason, he's asked me to post the following for him.

Quote:
when the lettering in a balloon is italic, try skewing your balloon a bit to reflect the slant of the lettering. it doesn't take much.

here's an example. here the balloon is unadjusted:

and here it is slightly skewed:

i think it looks neat.

cr
On a personal note, I wish someone with Digital Webbing would contact Clem and help him login. He is a valued member of this forum and is duly missed.

NINJALETTERING.com | DeviantArt Portfolio | Lettering Library
cyxodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

Jason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of light

Aren't you a mod now? Nothing you can do on your end?

Cool trick, btw.
Jason Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
Adam O. Pruett

Adam O. Pruett is on a distinguished road

That's pretty great. Hats off to Clem for making things look more natural (as usual!).

This is an aside... but some years back, I was studying the lettering in a comic I was reading, convinced that it must have been done by hand. I kept comparing glyphs, and not until I had compared enough of them did I realize that it was, in fact, a font. It was just an extremely comprehensive one, with more alternates than I'd ever seen.

I didn't know who the letterer was.

Flash-forward a little while, and upon merely reading Clem's posts explaining his process -- I realized the font was his. THAT's how cool Clem is. We miss ya, big guy (Even those of us who never post)!
Adam O. Pruett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
cyxodus
NinjaLettering.com

cyxodus is just really nicecyxodus is just really nicecyxodus is just really nicecyxodus is just really nicecyxodus is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Arthur View Post
Aren't you a mod now? Nothing you can do on your end?
Yes I am but I don't see any mod settings that allow me to do things like that.

Clem...That's a great little trick.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

Jason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of light

anyone checked with Ed about this?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
cyxodus
NinjaLettering.com

Jamal is on it.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
Clem Robins

Clem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura about

back in the club

shockingly enough, i've been re-admitted to our little tree house.

thanks, Payton and Jamal and everybody.
Clem Robins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Clem Robins

Clem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam O. Pruett View Post
Flash-forward a little while, and upon merely reading Clem's posts explaining his process -- I realized the font was his. THAT's how cool Clem is. We miss ya, big guy (Even those of us who never post)!
thank you, Adam. this couldn't have been a real long time ago. i've only gone ligature-crazy for the last two or three years. Nate walked me through the procedure.

i tried another way of doing it back in 2007, with a program which randomly selected alternate characters from a few dozen versions of each letter of the alphabet. it worked, but it was ugly as sin.

ligatures are a better solution. if you have enough of them, it becomes virtually impossible for the same version of a character to ever appear in the same speech.

i didn't think anybody noticed this stuff. it's gratifying to see that you noticed it.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Robins View Post
shockingly enough, i've been re-admitted to our little tree house.
Yaay!

Cheers

Jim
JimCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
Piekos
Blambot Font Guy

Piekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nice

yeah, that skewed balloon shape just seems to fit strikingly italicized text better. I do that all the time.

That one of your fonts, Clem? I'll have to do something like that. Reminds me of Tom O's crazy shout lettering.

~N
Old 07-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piekos View Post
That one of your fonts, Clem? I'll have to do something like that. Reminds me of Tom O's crazy shout lettering.
Speed reading that post, I found myself thinking "Who's Tom O'Crazy, and what's so special about his shout lettering?"

Cheers!

Jim
JimCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
Clem Robins

design your own type, fer gawsh sakes

yeah, it's a shouting font in which upper case letters are positioned slightly above the baseline, and lower case letters slightly below the baseline. to use it, you have to alternate upper and lower case as you type as in, "NoW yOu ShAlL dIe, EaRtHlInG!" fonts like these take a little extra time to space and kern properly. well, no, they take a lot of extra time to space and kern. but when you get 'em right, you can introduce a lot of verve and zip to a speech.

all of this is yet another argument for buying FontLab and using it to turn your own hand lettering into a family of fonts. when it's all a variation on your own handwriting, this produces a nice sense of unity to all of your work.

the body copy family of type i use has seven versions: regular, italic, bold italic, staggered bold italic, black italic and ultra italic. they're all just variations on my own hand lettering, but they have different degrees of emphasis.

and for the record, you're right: i got interested in staggering type from studying the great Tom Orzechowski, someone whom none of us can study too much.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #13
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Robins View Post
Tom Orzechowski, someone whom none of us can study too much.
which is why I'm typing this from outside his bathroom window.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #14
Kep!
Mad Genius

Location: Ok, maybe just a little ticked off, not actually mad.
Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

Durn nifty and better with the lits. Well thought!
Kep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #15
Clem Robins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Arthur View Post
which is why I'm typing this from outside his bathroom window.

that's really, really sick, jason