The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 12-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #121
Jack the R

Jack the R will become famous soon enoughJack the R will become famous soon enough

Old 12-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #122
MBirkhofer
Decks, drums, tablets.

MBirkhofer is a jewel in the roughMBirkhofer is a jewel in the roughMBirkhofer is a jewel in the rough

an other worldly being using contractions feels wrong. They are a function of familiarity and ease.
MBirkhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #123
Jack the R

Jack the R will become famous soon enoughJack the R will become famous soon enough

mbirkhofer - I tried it both ways, and "I am not . . ." felt more wrong.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #124
Jack the R

Old 12-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #125
Jack the R

Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #126
thejaz180
The artist from Brooklyn

thejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the rough

Awesome.
thejaz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #127
Jack the R

Hey, this guy's in the wrong movie -

I'm excited about Prometheus but this guy has me worried! He'd better have the other half of his head!

On IMDB they're saying this is a new alien species, and they don't like seeing such a human looking species in the Alien universe. I agree. Please Ridley, don't let this be what a living Space Jockey looks like when he's not grown onto his chair!

On another topic, I found this to be noteworthy -

"Transgender Soccer Player Leads American Samoa Team To First-Ever Win"

http://bit.ly/vCU3bH

This is the first time I've seen a biological male, with no intention of transitioning to female that I'm aware of, referred to as "transgender."

I can understand the logic of expanding the definition of "female" to include people with biologically female brains, born in male bodies. I've seen it mentioned that this is a medically recognized condition. I'd classify myself as very ignorant on the subject, but it seems possible.

I'm not sure expanding the definition of transgender to include Fa'afafine, on the other hand, makes sense. What is female about Fa'afafine? According to Wikipedia, they are biological males who are perceived to be "effiminate" as children, and so are raised to perform traditional, conservative female roles.

Wait a minute - wouldn't accepting Fa'afafine as a legitimate idea, mean accepting the idea of "proper" social roles for women and men? If the woman can be in the office and the man can be in the kitchen, how can there be Fa'afafine?

Another thing to consider- wouldn't expanding transgender to include Fa'afafine, alter the definition of female so that it becomes a state of mind? And if so, doesn't that put us back to associating sex with specific mental or emotional traits? I was born as a male, in body and mind, but if I should feel dainty and delicate, would I be a woman? Because women are supposed to be dainty and delicate?

It will be curious to see if how much traction the idea of Fa'afafine gains. There is a movement to get away from the idea of two sexes, and redefine sex as a specturm with absolute male and absolute female on each end, so perhaps Fa' afafine could be adopted.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #128
Jack the R

A little late but this one needed more time to cook. And it still needs more time, some of the writing feels clunky. I may make a few changes in the future, since this is one of the more critical pages.

Anyway, I hope you found my explanation for the naguil to be more cool than midichlorians. How can you not love powers based on space dragon sex?

There is more to it, Rau isn't using radio in the Yuga period, but this is essentially how the body naguil works.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #129
thejaz180
The artist from Brooklyn

thejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the rough

Awesome stuff Jack, as fo’ da other stuff, read it, but I’m just posting by, awesome stuff.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:30 AM   #130
Jack the R

thejaz180 - Thanks. I'm looking forward to finishing this book in a few months.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #131
Jack the R

The art load was light, but writing Professor Rau is challenging.

According to Wikipedia, the question of how life began is still up in the air. Rau doesn't exactly know either, he's just making his best guess.

I've been giving more thought to where to go with this, once TDDW is done. I reread the comic again last night (it takes a long time now!), and the beginning feels amateurish compared to chapters 3 and 4. Having so little dialogue hurts it. I feel like the next book will be much better. It won't be as horrific, it'll have people who are much more normal. But, years ago I saw Warren Ellis commenting on Red, and he said something to the effect that there was no reason to do comics without going to film. I've got a better idea how little print comics make now, and I have to agree with Mr. Ellis. TDDW was designed for easy low budget film making. The next one probably won't be. I think I want to take a break between comics and try to get at least the first page of TDDW made, and see what kind of response it generates. Instead of updating again this week, I'm going to finish the graphics on Concept and Film. Then I'll mix updating this site with updating C&F. Rau's dragon form could stand to be improved, for starters.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #132
Jack the R

Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #133
thejaz180
The artist from Brooklyn

I dig it.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #134
Jack the R

125 pages!

I planned to update Concept & Film today, but I've messed up the new hard drive and/or Linux install. I set up an overnight Terragen 2 render and habitually turned off my UPS's, leaving the laptop on battery power. I don't understand why running the battery down turned out to be such a big deal, but now the new Linux install is too slow to do anything with. At least the battery charged back up. For a while it didn't look like it was going to. I'll probably be able to figure out what's wrong the new Linux install, but at the moment I've got no idea. I got tired of messing with it this morning, put the old hard drive back in and drew this page. Sometimes you need an easy win.

Jake Estrada wrote a positive review of XTIN @ ComicBookClash -

http://bit.ly/ypsygT

It's weird seeing XTIN on the same page as the X-Men and Batwoman (if you go to the front page of the blog and catch it before it scrolls off). There are a few corrections that need to be made (like my name) but I'm very pleased to get such a great review. I figured XTIN was more likely to end up on the bad webcomics wiki.

A few pages back I wrote that a possible explanation for transgenderism is that the brain was formed with a different sexual orientation than the body. While apparently that is the position/opinion of some transgendered people, there are others who object to it -

http://bit.ly/xtba3R

I'm not out to offend or be hurtful to anyone who isn't causing me a problem. I think this question of identity is really interesting. If Stephen Beatty doesn't believe there's a biological reason why he is male, why is he male? Where does it come from?

Eventually technology will make it possible for us all to be immortal shapeshifters - but will we be allowed to be immortal shapeshifters? What degree of body modification will society allow? How much of your self-perceived identity can you compel others to accept, and act around? I see this as a question the trans community is on the bleeding edge of.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #135
Jack the R

I regret not being able to put cave men in, but the Makah working their boat make the point better. They have specialization- one works the rudder, six or more paddle, another throws the harpoon. They're cells performing a function so the boat organism can live.
They're crammed into a shape that is not unlike the whale's body. As part of the body they can live, but if they become separated from it they might drown.