The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 01-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #136
thejaz180
The artist from Brooklyn

thejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the rough

Cool, nice image shots, nice panel designs.
thejaz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #137
Jack the R

Jack the R will become famous soon enoughJack the R will become famous soon enough

thejaz180 - Thanks, here's more!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #138
thejaz180
The artist from Brooklyn

thejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the rough

Awesome.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #139
Jack the R

Jack the R will become famous soon enoughJack the R will become famous soon enough

For the next few weeks I'm going to be working on covers. I need to run a Kickstarter project and attempt to raise the funds for a new computer. A couple days ago my "no disk error" problem came back with a vengeance. I eventually got it working again, but I don't consider it reliable anymore. I cracked the case open, and it doesn't look like I can easily replace the socket the hard drive plugs in to.

This is probably going to be a cover for issue 3, and a Kickstarter reward. It's a real physical drawing, done while attempting to install Linux on the new hard drive (tried two more distros, both had bugs. One couldn't install the boot loader, the other didn't have working bluetooth).

Almost forgot to mention - Taonui's face paint is a little different in
this drawing. The original was too much like Keira Knightley's face
paint in King Arthur. The stripe curving around the cheek bone was too
similiar. When I originally designed Taonui's face paint, I checked
Keira's and they looked different enough, but I came across another
view of Keira's face paint recently, and in that view they looked too
much alike.

This may be the new look, but I'm hoping to come up with one I like even better.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #140
Jack the R

I'll be updating this image throughout the week as it's painted. Check in if you want to see it develop.

The comic will be on hold while I work on the Kickstarter project. I want this to be huge. Here's what I'm thinking. There will be four alternate covers for Issue 1, and the books will be larger than regular comic size (I'll have to see how they look with the art scaled up). If you get all four, you can put them together and the back sides will make one big painting. This painting might be as big as 28" tall.

It'll be a one time offer. You'll be able to get issue one with this cover only, at regular comic size, later; but if you want the alternate covers later you'll have to wait for them to show up on eBay for whatever they cost.

These inked cover drawings will also be a Kickstarter reward.

I'll have the regular sized version of issue 1, with this cover, as the budget reward. Prices will climb from there - gotta pay Kickstarter, Amazon, the printer, the tax man, the post office, and have enough left over to get set up with good equipment.

That's the plan. It seems like I'm slowly gaining traction as an artist and writer so hopefully a lot of you will find this worthwhile.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #141
thejaz180
The artist from Brooklyn

I dig it, nice angle.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #142
Jack the R

Well I thought the previous image would update and show the paintings progress, but that did not happen. Here's the finished version.

I went ahead and ordered a bunch of parts to build a new computer, so no Kickstarter after all. I'll send these pages off to the printer and sell books the old fashioned way.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #143
Jack the R

Old 02-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #144
Jack the R

First page drawn on the new computer. It's taken a long time to get Kubuntu 11.10 configured, and there are still a few bugs I need to work out, but overall this is a much better set up to work with. The newer version of GIMP I'm using doesn't have the panning bug that was randomly shooting me down to the bottom right of the image, and I really appreciate that.

---------------

Memetics - http://bit.ly/b1d4G

VS

Cultural Appropriation - http://bit.ly/17bjzL

One of these ideas is right, and the other is a bad meme.

No matter how much some people may want to live in the past, it is the nature of memes to replicate. They aren't ownable. Not any more than a contagious disease is ownable. How much sense would it make to say "Hey man, that's my flu, give it back!" The flu moves from person to person, and so do ideas. They come to you, they stay with you for a while- maybe they mix with enough other ideas to create a new meme- then they move on and do it all over again in the next host. If you get infected with a strong meme, you're going to pass it on. You're a social animal. It can't be helped. That's just how it works.

Probably every group would like "their" memes to stay with them forever, but would this be a good thing? The rap meme migrated from West Africa, to the Bronx, to the west coast and south (of the U.S.A.), around the world, mutated into the nerdcore strain (and others). Some people would have kept it in the Bronx, or kept it black only, but if it had been contained billions of people would have been poorer for it.

That's wrong.

Should early west coast rappers have had to go to the Bronx and beg permission to rap from Bronx rappers? Should nerdcore rappers be begging permission from black rappers?

Hip Hop has given us a useful meme with high value in this situation - whack. As in, "this shit is whack."

"Cultural Appropriation" is whack.

Most of my favorite things are mash-ups of various cultural elements, but then, every meme started out as an intermingling of other memes. They all come from elsewhere, and they can't be owned by anybody or any culture. Some people and groups are going to have to wake up and accept nature for what it is.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #145
thejaz180
The artist from Brooklyn

Jack what the heck is you talkiní Ďbout? Nah, Iím messing with you, I understood your text, and I dig the work.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #146
Jack the R

I'm just using rap as an example - it was a couple Native American guys getting upset about Twilight that got me started. If you're going to complain that the (real) tribe used in Twilight has something similiar to werewolves in their mythology, but not quite - fuck it, you're talking about a story with sparkling vampires which a lot of people hate anyway. I mean, c'mon, if you've got a world with vampires that sparkle, maybe that tribe does turn into werewolves. It's pop goth fantasy for tweenie girls, not a documentary.

This principle they're trying to sell that you should go to someone and get their permission to talk about them, or use their culture - if we do that, it has to apply equally to everyone. If you want to write about pedophile priests, you've got to go get the Pope's permission, and write his version of the story. If you want to write about Scientology, you've got to go get their permission, and write what they want you to write. You can see the problem. That limit on speech may have worked for stone age tribal living, but it's dangerous and wrong for today.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #147
thejaz180
The artist from Brooklyn

I seriously gotcha, and yes I would hang out with Eminem and Machine Gun Kelly.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #148
Jack the R

thejaz180 - Hmm, who would I hang out with? Heh, I'm pretty boring. I liked seeing Wiz Khalifa wear a NASA shirt in a video. He might be cool.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #149
thejaz180
The artist from Brooklyn

I would hang out with Wiz too but mentioning "Wiz Khalifa" does not make your point clear when it comes to "Cultural Appropriation" for a person like me, that’s why I dint mention him or anyone similar to him, I know you get my point, I'm just saying.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #150
Jack the R

Ah, I see what you mean about Eminem as a cultural appropriator. I didn't know there was a rapper named "Machine Gun Kelly."

I'd hang out with any of the Nerdcore guys.

As far as Wiz Khalifa goes, AFAIK he's not Muslim, but he's using a Muslim name.

I remember when only bikers and sailors had tattoo covered bodies, so I would say the black community was heavily influenced by the white community in that regard. Should they have asked permission? Ridiculous.

The only position that makes sense is to say it's all part of our culture as human beings.