The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Digital Webbing Press

Old 05-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Kel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really nice

DIGITAL WEBBING PRESENTS 2.0 (We're baaa-aaack!)

Digital Webbing Presents,
our very own homegrown
anthology, is returning!

Many (if not most) of you are familiar with DWP and the roster of established and new talent who have graced it's pages. Not to mention the guys who had some of their earliest work published in DWP and are now "rising stars". Guys like Yildiray Cinar (Legion of Super-Heroes, Ravager, Noble Causes), Mahmud A Asrar (Siege: Young Avengers, Atom, Nova, Dynamo 5), Ryan Ottley (Invincible, Haunt) and Kody Chamberlain (Sweets, 30 Days of Night: Bloodsucker Tales, Beowulf) to name a few. Go check out a list of creators in DWP here.

DWP 2.0 will be taking advantage of current technology to publish as first-run digital content on mobile devices like iPhones and iPads, as well as online. Options for printed editions/collections are being discussed as well.

We're looking for quality work, the kind of work that built the reputation that had editors from the big boys sending promising creators to DWP to "get some real work under their belts." We'll need both short stories and serialized stories. Shorts or chapters should be in the neighborhood of 8 pages, content should be PG-13 at most.

I'll be helping Ed run things so you can ask questions here in the thread and one of us will answer you.

So, anyone interested?

Last edited by Kel Nuttall; 05-02-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Kel Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Kel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really nice

And everyone please spread the word!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Jason Powell
"B.R.U.F."

Jason Powell has disabled reputation

Will this new line be offered in POD also?

-Jason Powell
FYI COMICS
"COMICS, FOR YOUR IMAGINATION!"
www.fyicomics.com
Old 05-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Possible but unlikely. POD prices for color are still pretty high.

We're evaluating various options for print. It's still pretty fresh so all the details aren't set in stone just yet. I just wanted to get people talking and thinking and asking questions.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Apotheases

Apotheases is on a distinguished road

I think I'll give it a go!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
thewritergreg
I am a writer

thewritergreg is on a distinguished road

I am interested! And my webcomic is full of completed short stories. I'd love to hear more, and I'd like to participate.
thewritergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
robtlsnyder
Color Hack

robtlsnyder will become famous soon enoughrobtlsnyder will become famous soon enough

Awesome!!!!!
robtlsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
JamieRoberts

JamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Nuttall
Possible but unlikely. POD prices for color are still pretty high.

We're evaluating various options for print. It's still pretty fresh so all the details aren't set in stone just yet. I just wanted to get people talking and thinking and asking questions.
If you print anything, it'd make sense to be a collection of the best and most popular from the digital stuff.
JamieRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

That's what I'm leaning toward but we want to stay a little flexible. We'll probably try to adapt to demand, the market, etc.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Kevin Lee
Creator/Writer

Kevin Lee is a jewel in the roughKevin Lee is a jewel in the roughKevin Lee is a jewel in the rough

This has been a long time coming. Absolutely great news!

Looking forward to hearing more.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
Ian Ascher
Uncle Buck

Ian Ascher is a jewel in the roughIan Ascher is a jewel in the roughIan Ascher is a jewel in the rough

Hey Kel, if you need a hand, let me know.

My Comic Space:
http://www.comicspace.com/ianascher/
Ian Ascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
Fletch
Robot Gorilla

Fletch is on a distinguished road

Great news
Check out Adam Zero
Read Adam Zero Online
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #13
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Okay, everyone is so eager I'm going to stick my neck out (and hope Ed doesn't lop off my head with that HUUUUUGE battle axe he keeps next to the beer cooler beside his easy chair) and drop some info on you guys.
  • Pages need to be in traditional comic format... tall, not wide. ((Standard 6.875"x10.5" Bleed / 6.625"x10.25" Trim / 6"x9.5" Live)) That way we're all set for any print applications of the work. For submissions we only need low-rez JPGs. Look at it on your own screen, can you read it without getting two inches from your monitor? Good. Are the files at least less than 200KB? Good.
  • I would say a MINIMUM of three sequential pages AT LEAST tightly penciled and lettered* with a concisely written paragraph laying out the whole story (including the ending) would suffice. But the more you show, the easier it will be to sell us on the greatness that is you. Ultimately, color and lettering will be just as important as everything else. If any of this changes it will only be us wanting more, not less... so you're safe to get started. *(Submission lettering doesn't need to be publishing quality, it just needs to be good enough that we can read along with the art.)
  • All stories should be self contained.... unless it's a serial. But a serialized story, when taken as a whole, needs to be self-contained as well. Doesn't mean you can't revisit the setting or characters again later we just want the reader to feel like they got a complete story. Stories or chapters of a serial should be around 8 pages. Even for shorts, you GOTTA tell a story.... SOMETHING has to happen.
  • Content is fairly open. Keep it PG-13 or lower and we're open to pretty much anything from crime to space rangers to dragon slayers. For the time being we'll look at superheroes (I mean FIST OF JUSTICE got his start in DWP!) but you need to hit us with something DIFFERENT. "Well, he's just like Superman except he got his powers from being bitten by a radioactive comic book" ain't gonna cut it. (I personally am a sucker for things with a sci-fi angle... crime, horror, robots, superheroes, whatever with a strong sci-fi element. That doesn't guarantee acceptance... but it's like giving me an extra scoop of ice cream on my pie. And Lordy do I loves me some pie and ice cream.)

Your best bet is to try and team up with someone(s) from here at DW or elsewhere and present us with the above mentioned sequential pages. Artists, if you have trouble finding a writer with a story you really like I WILL take art submissions and try to team you up with someone. There are some DWP alums who've already spoken to me who will be looking for artists. (FULL DISCLOSURE: At some point one of them will be me.) Writers, just like elsewhere in comics, you have a tougher hill to climb. We just don't have time to read scripts. If you can come up with some really clever way to get and keep my attention to look at your proposal without sequential art, I'll look. But I make no promises. There are forums all over the internet, including RIGHT HERE at DW, where writers, pencilers, inkers, colorists and letterers hang out. Get out there and find your creative souls mates! (Holy crap! Where did that new agey junk come from?!?!)

You can contact me at DWPresents(at)gmail(dot)com with questions (or feel free to post them here) and submissions. I would PREFER if you are able to post pages up on a webpage or an online gallery and send a link but if you must send attachments remember what I said up top about file size.

Artists, if your just putting your hat in the ring to be paired up, please just send links to your website or Deviant Art or something rather than send attachments.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:23 AM   #14
Imboden
Writer and Hero for Hire

Imboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to behold

Consider my services, in whatever capacity they may be used, at your disposal.
Warmageddon Whipping Boy
WWFoJD?
Imboden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:10 AM   #15
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Thanks, Mike!