Old 03-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
shadowyzman

shadowyzman will become famous soon enough

Not bad mate...not bad at all
shadowyzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
xaltair
Boobies Master

xaltair is just really nicexaltair is just really nicexaltair is just really nicexaltair is just really nicexaltair is just really nicexaltair is just really nice

I like her face, but her body seems like it needs more work.

Photography Portfolio

Comics I read right now:
Street Fighter
Heavy Metal

My comicspace:
http://www.comicspace.com/xaltair/
xaltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Scriptron

Scriptron will become famous soon enough

THX for the comments and critique but need I remind you that she's a virtual model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaltair
I like her face, but her body seems like it needs more work.
Scriptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Mcd91

Mcd91 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
THX for the comments and critique but need I remind you that she's a virtual model.
So, are you interested in critiques or not?
If I remember correctly you asked for our thoughts.

Well, I tell you the truth. She scares me. Must be something in her face, which I find really unattractive and scary.

I know it's not your fault, but most of the 3D art looks very stiff, very much like those sex dolls.

Best

Rob
Mcd91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Scriptron

I totally disagree with you. The range of emotions on these things are amazingly accurate. Of course, you can't stop at just the renders. You have to take them through post-op like Photoshop, etc., and add the rest to make them come alive. I'm sure a lot of these guys and gals here thought this was just a regular drawing.

I've been drawing for over 20 years now and if I thought these renders looked fake, I wouldn't be wasting my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcd91
So, are you interested in critiques or not?
If I remember correctly you asked for our thoughts.

Well, I tell you the truth. She scares me. Must be something in her face, which I find really unattractive and scary.

I know it's not your fault, but most of the 3D art looks very stiff, very much like those sex dolls.

Best

Rob
Old 03-16-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Mcd91

Mcd91 is on a distinguished road

Aw man, I put it wrong.

When I talked about emotionless I meant that the art itself doesn't convey energy or even emotion. This is not solely limited to 3D, a lot of painters, who are into photorealism, fall into the same trap. While I like the skill and sometimes even the look, the work itself leaves me flat.

Of course it is only my opinion, and I totally accept where you are coming from.

Best

Rob
Mcd91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Namrog

Namrog is on a distinguished road

I think the face is great, but the hair just ruins it for me. 3D hair is incredibly hard to do though.

my suggestion would be to give her comic book style hair, like clumps of hair styled in slightly curvy strands, and several strands that make up the bulk of it in the back.

Also, I notice you put lots of work on the skin texture, but it looks a bit too blotchy IMO.

We are all cremated equally - Peter Steele, Type O Negative
Namrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
thunder5x
chaos warrior

thunder5x is on a distinguished road

virtual

I am an artist, but I have never done virtual 3-D. I notice several flaws. Her eyebrows are very uneven, yet her eyes are the same. Try arching an eyebrow without opening an eye more than the other. Kinda makes her look crazy. Her head seems to small for the rest of her body. Her left arm has a couple problems. the under part were her arm attachs to her torso seems to be an inch or two to high. Her elbow seems too low, it should be even with the bottom of her rib cage. Her wrist sees too fat as does her kinda lumpy forearm.
You really shouldn't cut her feet off. You should go full figure or mid thigh. Cutting her feet off makes it look like you've been hanging around Liefeld too much. Her left trap looks deformed, way too big for a woman, especially when the other side looks normal. You should also try a little more defination in her legs especially around the knees she looks too soft. Hopefully this doesn't seem too harsh.

Last edited by thunder5x; 03-16-2008 at 10:58 PM.
thunder5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #10
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Quote:
I'm sure a lot of these guys and gals here thought this was just a regular drawing.
I'll have to disagree with that statement. It is an OK render but still has the fake, plastic feel that is very common with 3D models.

Plus, her expression is really kinda creepy - she looks slightly cross eyed.
3D or not, it is still artwork and the same 'emotions', body language crits still apply. Not fond of her extremely large neck/shoulder muscle either - this is about the size of many bodybuilders necks.

It's not a bad render, but it's not perfect either. Just needs a few touches to make it more natural and believable.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #11
Scriptron

I'm sure all comments and critique would changed flavor if I had drawn this out on canvas or paper instead of presented it as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans
I'll have to disagree with that statement. It is an OK render but still has the fake, plastic feel that is very common with 3D models.

Plus, her expression is really kinda creepy - she looks slightly cross eyed.
3D or not, it is still artwork and the same 'emotions', body language crits still apply. Not fond of her extremely large neck/shoulder muscle either - this is about the size of many bodybuilders necks.

It's not a bad render, but it's not perfect either. Just needs a few touches to make it more natural and believable.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
jeffo46
jeffo46

jeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to all

Don't listen to these crits.They're just jealous.I think you did an amazing job.
jeffo46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
Namrog

Namrog is on a distinguished road

amazing job, yes, but to ignore crits is a major mistake. NOBODY does perfect work.

If you come to this site, expect brutally honest crits, and learn how to take them. If you don't agree with a particular crit, so be it. But if multiple people make the same crit, you might not be looking hard enough. You shouldn't feel the need to defend your work.

Its tough to spend countless hours on a piece and have someone make what seems like nitpicky comments about it. Especially if you're used to constant praise from friends and family. But you aren't going to improve at all by getting nothing but compliments on your work from non artists. Having a group of other artists pick your work apart is FAR more beneficial.

We are all cremated equally - Peter Steele, Type O Negative
Namrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #14
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Quote:
I'm sure all comments and critique would changed flavor if I had drawn this out on canvas or paper instead of presented it as is.
If this was painted or drawn it wouldn't have the 3D plastic look, But it would still have a creepy expression and oversized neck muscles IMO.
thunder5x - made many comments about the expression and anatomy.
Namrog - made comments about her hair and finish of the skin.
Mcd91 - also mentioned her face

If you had managed to paint this with a finish as clean as a 3D render, I would have said that your rendering skills were solid, but the same 2 crits as above.

You consider this artwork, so take the crits like it's 'regular' artwork. Read them, look at the work with fresh eyes, take in the comments that make sense, ignore the rest, and either alter this one or just use the advice for the next piece.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #15
Scriptron

Dude, I appreciate all the comments and critiques, I don't mind them. I just happen to disagree with some of them. I know I have a long way before my work will look like those artist who are making a living doing such "art", till then, I have to rely on my own years of expertise, judgment and, perhaps, suggestions like you yourself have.

Art is subjective. For every one person that hates a piece, another two may like it. On the other hand, for every one who likes it, ten may hate it. My reaction is, "So what?!" Do it because you like it! If you want to draw an eye crooked, good for you! Art is your personal journey. People may give you a hand on how to perfect a technique but that's as far as they can go. In my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans
If this was painted or drawn it wouldn't have the 3D plastic look, But it would still have a creepy expression and oversized neck muscles IMO.
thunder5x - made many comments about the expression and anatomy.
Namrog - made comments about her hair and finish of the skin.
Mcd91 - also mentioned her face

If you had managed to paint this with a finish as clean as a 3D render, I would have said that your rendering skills were solid, but the same 2 crits as above.

You consider this artwork, so take the crits like it's 'regular' artwork. Read them, look at the work with fresh eyes, take in the comments that make sense, ignore the rest, and either alter this one or just use the advice for the next piece.