Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community > Tips From the Drawing Board

View Poll Results: What kind of pencil do you use?
Wood and graphite--- needs to be sharpened. 76 30.52%
Mechanical pencil 93 37.35%
Lead holder and drafting sharpener 66 26.51%
What's a pencil? 14 5.62%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
badapple
Aiming For Perfection

badapple is a jewel in the roughbadapple is a jewel in the roughbadapple is a jewel in the roughbadapple is a jewel in the rough

Question What Is Your Pencil of Choice????

I've always seem to have used a mechanical pencil, but now I want to get a more finer line. What do you guys recommend?
badapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:04 AM   #2
J^2
(Jeremy Johnson)

J^2 is a glorious beacon of lightJ^2 is a glorious beacon of lightJ^2 is a glorious beacon of lightJ^2 is a glorious beacon of lightJ^2 is a glorious beacon of lightJ^2 is a glorious beacon of lightJ^2 is a glorious beacon of lightJ^2 is a glorious beacon of light

Lumograph Lead Holder

I use a Lumograph lead holder and I put a nice point on the lead with a drafting sharpener.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
jakebilbao
jakebilbao@yahoo.com

jakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to behold

i use these babies:

i have other brands of these but these three are my staple. they wont work if you dont have these:

i use the steadtler brand more than the faber castell though. and these babies wouldn't be kept in check, if it weren't for these sheriffs!:

i bought many, because of all the things that get lost easily in my drawing area, my erasers are number one at getting lost.

questions?
jakebilbao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
badapple
Aiming For Perfection

badapple is a jewel in the roughbadapple is a jewel in the roughbadapple is a jewel in the roughbadapple is a jewel in the rough

Hey Thanks guys, and also for starting a poll. I think i'm going to make a switch to lead holders simply cause I do notice the more finer lines out of those. Thanks again guys
badapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
shushubag

shushubag will become famous soon enough

Yeap that's pretty much the same thing I use. Mines are Sanford Turquoise. Erasers are the cheapest thing I can pick up from Wal-Mart.
shushubag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:07 AM   #6
Premature Inker
"For my family"

Premature Inker is just really nicePremature Inker is just really nicePremature Inker is just really nicePremature Inker is just really nice

For most of the sketches I have posted I used a Pentel Forte Pro mechanical pencil with a 0.9 lead...gives an excellent line and shades very smoothly.

J.
Premature Inker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:38 AM   #7
ShanE
Digital Chameleon

Location: the tree, the rock, the air around you...its all Concept Art
ShanE has a spectacular aura aboutShanE has a spectacular aura about

me, I actually use a virtual pencil...wacom pen.
ShanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
captainarian
likest draw ur characters

captainarian is just really nicecaptainarian is just really nicecaptainarian is just really nicecaptainarian is just really nicecaptainarian is just really nicecaptainarian is just really nice

are those blue ones grip holders? i thought they were in the mechanical genre, i mostly use mechanical. steadler with 0.5 lids, i use those blue ones too (every artist should have atleast one of them).
i use normal pencils too wich are mostly fabercastle.
i'm not too comfortable with B series, i use H and HB, but sometimes i use B3 too (when it's really needed) i hate making my hands dirty while drawing, it messes the paper and pisses me off.
and JAKE those pencils of yours are pretty old man, lol, it's time you get some new ones with a plastic holding thing instead of iron.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:55 AM   #9
chaosgoat
Uh-huh...

chaosgoat is a splendid one to beholdchaosgoat is a splendid one to beholdchaosgoat is a splendid one to beholdchaosgoat is a splendid one to beholdchaosgoat is a splendid one to beholdchaosgoat is a splendid one to beholdchaosgoat is a splendid one to beholdchaosgoat is a splendid one to beholdchaosgoat is a splendid one to beholdchaosgoat is a splendid one to beholdchaosgoat is a splendid one to behold

I use these great mechanical pencils that I got from my mom from when she was a drafter...

Read my crochet blog!
chaosgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:17 AM   #10
Premature Inker
"For my family"

Premature Inker is just really nicePremature Inker is just really nicePremature Inker is just really nicePremature Inker is just really nice

Oh yeah that is a great pencil..and you might be glad to know that John Romits Jr uses that same pencil with a 0.7 lead to do his tight work...Great choice.

J.
Premature Inker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #11
Justice41
Piss Off

Justice41 has disabled reputation

I use those Pencils you get at Golf courses for keeping score. Small but free. It's a tool not a magic wand.
Justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
jakebilbao
jakebilbao@yahoo.com

jakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainarian
and JAKE those pencils of yours are pretty old man, lol, it's time you get some new ones with a plastic holding thing instead of iron.
hehehe it just goes to show they are used. yup they are old, the metal part on two of those are already going gold (from silver). and i don't intend to switch to the plastic ones, i like the weight on these.

i have other brands of these lead holders but the steadtler is still best so far. their lead is also the best so far. germans really know how to make good stuff.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #13
captainarian

captainarian is just really nicecaptainarian is just really nicecaptainarian is just really nicecaptainarian is just really nicecaptainarian is just really nicecaptainarian is just really nice

yeah, germans are the best, i just realized that mine has a metal part too, and all this time i thought it was plastic... lol, seems like i don't use it too much.

this is my staedtler mechanical pencil
[IMG][/IMG]

and my 0.35 mm rotring (ofcourse it's black)
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #14
jakebilbao
jakebilbao@yahoo.com

i love that rotring mechanical pencil!

not for it's writing part though! i take out the (i dont know what it's called) flat fastener part, you know the clip part at the opposite of the writing end. i take it out and use it for modelling clay! hehehehe seriously!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #15
captainarian

wow! that's some invention! hehheh