The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Hosted Forums > Womanthology

Old 03-24-2012, 02:27 AM   #61
chelseathebaker

chelseathebaker is on a distinguished road

Name: Chelsea Baker

Skill Interests: Writing, penciling, inking, lettering, coloring, graphic design, illustration, I DO IT ALL!!!

Current Womanthology Contributor? (Heroic, Sketchbook, Holiday PDF): Nope! But I have high hopes.

Tell us about yourself! Comics are my one true love. I decided on cartooning as a career at the ripe old age of eight and actually stuck with it. I graduated from The Evergreen State College in 2006 with a BA in Comics and Sequential Art. I spent over four years working at Danger Room Comics in Olympia, the best comic book shop I've ever known. I've been trying to do as much freelance work as possible over the past couple of years and I've had mixed success. I got a huge contract to do all the graphic design and illustration work for a Jewish deli that recently opened up in town, but most of the other projects I've gleaned have been pretty small and haven't helped me pay the bills much. Although, I do draw a LOT of maps. There's something so soothing about inking so many straight lines.

Goal in Comics: My goal is to work on comics, illustration, and graphic design full time to put a roof over my head AND be able to afford health insurance. Woo hoo!

Websites: Unfortunately, Facebook is the best place to see my comics for now. As one of the other gals mentioned, my usual website is currently under construction (I'm torching it to the digital ground and starting from scratch). As such, it is un-updated, glitchy, and atrocious on the eyes. If you dare to visit it anyway, it's chelseathebaker.com (but don't say I didn't warn you).

Work Example: I drew this piece for the cover of a local fortnightly newspaper, the Olympia Power & Light, after there was a strange bureaucratic hiccup involving the shiny new parking meters installed throughout downtown.
chelseathebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #62
Toru

Toru is on a distinguished road

Name: Rocío Morón, but you may call me Toru ^^

Skill Interests: Drawing, colouring, translating

Current Womanthology Contributor? (Heroic, Sketchbook, Holiday PDF): Not yet, but I'd love to!

Tell us about yourself!: I'm a student of Translation & Interpreting (English). I love languages - apart from English I'm studying Chinese and Japanese (the latter is my favourite), but my real passion is art, especially comics. I've done some comics for contests or just for the sake of it with my best friend - she's a really talented scriptwriter - and I'm doing a webcomic, The Comic Shop, with another friend of mine, Rafagast, who is also a very good scriptwriter. Sadly, the webcomic is now on hiatus (i. e., paused for now) as Uni absorbs most of my time, but it should be running again in summer :3.
I also like tabletop RPGs, reading both books and comics, anime, music... and talking. I talk too much, I won't shut up xD But that's OK for an interpreter, right? xD

Goal in Comics: Publishing, no matter if I get paid or not, I just want my art to reach people, and feedback is the best pay I can get. I want to tell interesting stories that can move people (either if it's to laughter, to tears, to fright or to reflection, I want to transmit things to people). Well, I think making a webcomic is a pretty good start, right? I'm really enjoying it.

Websites: My webcomic (original idea, script and dialogues:Rafagast; art, translation and revising Rafa's insanities: myself): The Comic Shop (English version) or La Librería (Spanish version) - I'm sorry for it being paused now, I don't intend to give up, but now I really have no time.
DA account:http://daidai-no-toru.deviantart.com

Work Example:
Toru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #63
niphridell

niphridell is on a distinguished road

Name: Ashley Keene (but I also go by Umber per my website name haha)

Skill Interests: Drawing, Painting, Research

Current Womanthology Contributor? (Heroic, Sketchbook, Holiday PDF): Heroic, Sketchbook, Holiday

Tell us about yourself!: I'm a recent graduate from college with a degree in Illustration, so I'm new to the professional field but I'm making decent headway. I had my first shared gallery showing this past thursday at a local bar (YAY!). I really enjoy science, particularly evolutionary science, biology, osteology, ornithology, botany...I could probably go on haha But I love doing research and drawing mythical creatures.

Goal in Comics: My goal in comics and just as an illustrator in general, is to be able to tell an effective story and have that story reach people. To tell the truth, I've never really been very comfortable with sequential images, but working on Womanthology has helped give me the confidence to actually practice and refine that. I come from a more children's book background, but I think comics aren't far off from that format (albeit with a different visual pacing) and I'd really like to be proficient in both. One of these days I'd like to be able to illustrate a story of my own with a style somewhere in between the two.

Websites:

Professional Website: umbertheprussianblue.com
Sketchblog: umbersketches.tumblr.com
Personal Blog (Beware, I'm kind of a doofus): umber-penumbra.tumblr.com
Twitter: @ThePrussianBlue

Work Example:
niphridell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #64
Carliihde

Carliihde is on a distinguished road

Name: Carli Ihde

Skill Interests: Penciling, inking

Current Womanthology Contributor? (Heroic, Sketchbook, Holiday PDF): I have never done it before but I'd love to

Tell us about yourself! - I graduated from the Kubert School last May in Graphic Novel illustration and worked on one issue of Hellblazer (Vertigo) as a replacement inker/finisher, but now I work as a Freelance illustrator. I'm also a Lady Gaga impersonator, art class model, patient sitter at a hospital, Henna tattoo artist and a makeup artist/actor at a haunted house. I also love food, music and dogs.

Goal in Comics: I would just love to have a solid job that I could support myself with and continue doing what I love for the rest of my life.

Work Example:
Carliihde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #65
Jessisheron

Jessisheron is on a distinguished road

Name: Jessi Sheron

Skill Interests: Storytelling, Drawing, Inking, the whole shebang.

Current Womanthology Contributor? Not yet but I'd love to be!

Tell us about yourself! By day I am a dental assistant, but by night I am a comic artist! I love stories about women, adventure, and female friendship. I am currently finishing up my first graphic novel which will be posted on Topshelf 2.0. I love comics and telling stories that I hope will make people smile.

Goal in Comics: I would like to have my graphic novels published, I tend to do single stories about book length, but eventually I want to do a long running series and put up more stories online.

http://lilylilymine.tumblr.com/
Work Example
Jessisheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #66
Salmagundi

Salmagundi is on a distinguished road

Name: Jacqueline Hernandez

Skill Interests: Pencilling, Writing, Storyboarding, Colouring, Inking

Current Womanthology Contributor? Not yet

Tell us about yourself! - I've been interested in telling stories ever since I could pick up a pencil and I love animation and comics. I'm an avid reader of all kinds of comics and I really love a lot of the non-mainstream books as well as many different Euro comics. I enjoy sci-fi, fantasy and horror, as well as video games. I'm ex-Air Force where I worked as a meteorologist and I have a great deal of interest in natural sciences. A friend of mine, Darren Mueller, and I got together to create our first comic which eventually lead to the formation of our independent publishing company, Ringtail Cafe Productions. In addition to doing comics and magazines, we also do a lot of work with kids, going to school and teaching classes and seminars on how to make comics as well as on the benefits of comics as a teaching tool.

Goal in Comics: I really want to work on bringing unique and high-quality stories to life and also to share the joy of creating comics with people of all ages.

Work Example

(The Confectionaries Holiday Special. Written by Darren Mueller. Pencils and Inks by Jacqueline Hernandez, colours by Lisa Moore.
Salmagundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #67
SarahRPerkins

SarahRPerkins is on a distinguished road

Name: Sarah R. Perkins

Skill Interests: Writing!

Current Womanthology Contributor? (Heroic, Sketchbook, Holiday PDF): No, but I hope to be one in the future

Tell us about yourself! - I'm a bookworm, a TV nut, a film buff, a comics geek... in short, if it tells a story, I'm into it. Originally a prose writer, I'm currently writing teleplays and dipping my toe into comics. At my day job, I write closed captions for television and describe films, bringing stories to Deaf and visually impaired audiences.

Goal in Comics: To find new ways to explore storytelling.

SarahRPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #68
mahgeetah42

mahgeetah42 is on a distinguished road

Name: Michelle Hart

Skill Interests: Writing

Current Womanthology Contributor? Nope, but would definitely love to be!

Tell us about yourself! Last year, I cosplayed at NYCC (along with my guy friend) as a contestant on Legends of the Hidden Temple. Other than that, I watch way too much television (no such thing) and taught myself how to play slide guitar.

Goal in Comics: In addition to one day creating my own material, I would love the chance to write for a preexisting character in the DCU--especially Batwoman or Nightwing.

mahgeetah42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #69
CSWYellokat
Christina Wald

CSWYellokat is on a distinguished road

Not sure which is I should post to, so I am posting to both. This whole forum is great! I like the supportive atmosphere of female creators and there is an amazing amount of talent in these pages. I have enjoyed browsing through them.

Name: Christina Wald

Skill Interests: Painting both in acrylic and digitally. I like the whole process from sketch to finish. I am really getting into sketch journals lately. I also do idealization sketches for product/giftware/toy design.

Current Womanthology Contributor? : No... But am interested in being a part of it.

Tell us about yourself! The artist page was more professional, this is more personal. I am hugely into movies, reading both comics and books, travel.. I listen to podcasts, audio books and DVD commentaries while painting into the wee hours. (Favorite commentaries are from the Simpsons and Futurama.)

Goal in Comics: I would love to adapt some classic stories to graphic novel form. I illustrated Black Beauty in picture book form for Grosset and Dunlop/Penguin Young Readers a couple years ago and really enjoyed the opportunity. In the immediate future, I am trying to keep my web comic off and running.

Website: http://christinawald.blogspot.com/ http://www.christinawald.com/

Web Comic: http://popsmoothie.com/

Work Example:
Here is the wrap around cover for my next Children's book A Warm Winter Tail. (Sylvan Dell)

CSWYellokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #70
a.e.ross

a.e.ross is on a distinguished road

Name: Alison Ross

Current Womanthology Contributor? (Heroic, Sketchbook, Holiday PDF): No, but I'm definitely hoping to contribute in the future.

Tell us about yourself! I'm a screenwriter by night and by day I'm a production coordinator for an animation studio. I am also big into anything involving yarn! (Knitting, crocheting, spinning, weaving, dyeing... etc!)

Goal in Comics: To write stories that people of all kinds can identify with and enjoy.

a.e.ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #71
ealperin

ealperin is on a distinguished road

Smile

Name: Esther Alperin

Current Womanthology Contributor? Nope, not yet.

Tell us about yourself! - I'm a comicbook lover, drama/sci-fi/fantasy/action/thriller/mystery movie & tv show lover, and a police procedural/superhero/superheroine/animated tv show/animated tv movie/crime scene show lover, bibliophile and all around fanwoman/fanlady/fan/ comic book enthusaist, feminist, pro-GLBTQ supporter, anti-hate pro-appreciate person, and womanist.

Goal in Comics: To, hopefully, write comics that will impact someone's life in some way, like comic books did for me

Sub sites: twitter handle is "ealperin".

Facebook is under Esther Alperin.

My fanfiction.net site is here:
http://m.fanfiction.net/u/1280891/ealperin

And my blogspot, in which I haven't used, is here: http://ealperin.blogspot.com

Take care, folks!

Hope to meet with you all soon!

Work Example (just one please! There will be a forum available to showcase all of it! )
ealperin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #72
plasticcake

plasticcake is on a distinguished road

Name: Kristine Astop

Skill Interests: Pencilling, Colouring, Learning to cultivate my own stories

Current Womanthology Contributor? (Heroic, Sketchbook, Holiday PDF): Nope! You guys amaze me.

Tell us about yourself! I'm a massive geek who loves all things sci-fi, fantasy and comics. I've also been known to smash around other girls on the roller derby track. My background is in realistic graphite portrait, but I have ventured into illustration over the last couple of years. I'm a traditional artist who loves her Copic markers and coloured pencils in ways that are sick and wrong. I'm a newbie. I still have a lot to learn, but I am super eager!

Goal in Comics: Right now? Learn, learn, learn! I'm a big newbie, so I would love to learn as much as I possibly can. Once I get my confidence up, I have a bit of an itch to self-publish something down the road.

Work Example:

Athena.. from a series of Goddess pinup illustrations that I have been working on.

plasticcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #73
heartofglitter
Cassandra James

heartofglitter is a glorious beacon of lightheartofglitter is a glorious beacon of lightheartofglitter is a glorious beacon of lightheartofglitter is a glorious beacon of lightheartofglitter is a glorious beacon of lightheartofglitter is a glorious beacon of lightheartofglitter is a glorious beacon of lightheartofglitter is a glorious beacon of light

It's so nice to meet you all!

Name: Cassandra James

Skill Interests: Pencilling primarily but I also ink and colour as well. I enjoy doing the occasional digital painting.

Current Womanthology Contributor? (Heroic, Sketchbook, Holiday PDF): I was an artist in the sketchbook and the Heroic trade.

Tell us about yourself! Besides being an artist I'm a massive geek. I actually entered a contest in Australia here last year that was a nation-wide search for 'the biggest geek' and I won! I won a free trip to SDCC this year as a result and will be rocking my portfolio there as a result.
I'm married to an amazing man called Rowan who I could not live without and we have a gorgeous little cat called Peach, who wants our blood.

Goal in Comics: To be a full-time penciller at a big publisher and hopefully one day do some creator-owned stuff.

heartofglitter.deviantart.com
comiccharm.tumblr.com

Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #74
lenity

lenity is on a distinguished road

Name: Leen Isabel

Skill Interests: Pencilling, Coloring

Current Womanthology Contributor? (Heroic, Sketchbook, Holiday PDF): No. But hopefully one day!

Tell us about yourself!
- Illustrator, dancer and cosplayer. I also love video games and comic books.

Goal in Comics:
To create and tell a story I'm truly proud of. Working on that with my lovely husband.
Since I was a kid, I was always that oddball who'd buy a comic-book for the cover or the inside art -- but not necessarily read it. ::guilty!!:: So, a cover is a dream of mine, too! lol

Work Example

lenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #75
Kanthara

Kanthara is on a distinguished road

Might as well add in here too!

Name: Karine Charlebois

Skill Interests: Pencilling, Inking, Page Layouts

Current Womanthology Contributor? I wish and hope!

Tell us about yourself! Storyboards, comics, animation artist, illustrator, visual storyteller... and also wife and mommy to two boys ages 7 and 5. I've been working in animation since 1996 and comics since 2006. Mostly known online for my Gargoyles fan art which got me the gig of drawing for the Gargoyles comics, and now for my Less Tits n' Ass, More Kickin' Ass tumblr where I fix bad female anatomy and sexist posing in published comics.

Goal in Comics: Mostly I love telling other people's stories, but I think I also need to mention that I want to show that women characters can and should be treated as people, not objects, in comics. Which is the reason behind that tumblr I mentioned earlier.

Work Example

From the "I Was a Teenage Gargoyle" anthology, published by Sawdust Press.
Kanthara is offline   Reply With Quote