The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 03-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #1
chrislillytv

chrislillytv is on a distinguished road

Writer searching for Advice

Hi there,

I used to be a Web series Producer and have now decided to go into comic books. Since I'm new to this forum and comics in general, my first question I have is:

Are artists considered as colorists, inkers, and letterers as well nowadays? Do most artists do all of the above now, or are the specifics still separated?

Any advice with starting this new adventure is appreciated.

My Web site is www dot chrislilly dot tv to learn more about me.
My email is chrislillytv at gmail dot com

Who knows. Maybe we will work together in the future...
chrislillytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #2
Lee Nordling

Lee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really niceLee Nordling is just really nice

The roles of different contributers

Hi, Chris.

Welcome to the process.

First, there's no simple answer to your question except, "yes, no, maybe, and maybe not."

Some artists specialize, some do it all, some do some of it.

Here's my best advice: there are a bunch of books out there (for not very much money) about comics, scripting, the culture of comics, etc.

Look on Amazon, read through the preview pages, and invest in a couple that touch on what you're interested in doing, then devour them.

Why this advice?

Your question shows you've just put your pinkie toe into the deep end of the pool, and swimming lessons are required unless you want to drown a dozen time before catching up on what a few good books can help you with.

Good fortune!
Lee Nordling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
maverick

maverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nice

Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but the history of why these were all done separately (penciling, inking, coloring, lettering) was so that the book could be produced and therefore published faster.
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
aaimiller

aaimiller is on a distinguished road

In part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but the history of why these were all done separately (penciling, inking, coloring, lettering) was so that the book could be produced and therefore published faster.
This is partially true. It comes from the early era of comic books (rather than just comics) when a publisher (like E.C. Gaines) would set up a studio with artists and writers to churn out material. Many artists would work together in the same room, and it was easy to pass pages back and forth. If one artist was better at people he would get the page for a bit. And another was better at backgrounds and he would get the page for a bit. Another was great at inking etc... They could pass the pages around and play to everyone's strengths. At this stage artists didn't ever get their names on or in the comics. Not all comics worked this way. Some had dedicated artists working on them, like Wonder Woman, but many were. If you have twenty artists in a room, they will work better and faster if they are all doing what they are good at.

This model (many artists, flexibly collaborating on pages) slowly faded out and was replaced with the structured roles we are familiar with today (penciller, inker, colorist, letterer). We have this structure in part to keep up the monthly pace, in part because artists tend to have things they are better at or like doing more, and in part because artists don't work in the same room anymore so you need a more structured way to divide up the labor (so you don't have any back-and-forth which would slow down production).

Last edited by aaimiller; 03-22-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: sentences!
aaimiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:55 PM   #5
YellowDogArtistry

YellowDogArtistry will become famous soon enough

aaimiller - both ways aren't perfect. In both of them there are still late months all the time. so obviously it's something wrong with the monthly deadline. do i know how to fix it, not at all.

of course most people can handle the monthly deadline - they just put their nose to the ground and pound it out. it's a time thing we all suffer from. "time" can cause suffering.

people who work at mcdonalds, starbucks, jc penny, have no time for anything. it's 100% worse for comic book creators. we also have to push our books, go to cons, network, etc.

but hey if i can't handle it i should find a diff job, right.
YellowDogArtistry is offline   Reply With Quote