Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Project Showcase

Old 01-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
mikeexner3
I writ gud?

mikeexner3 is just really nicemikeexner3 is just really nicemikeexner3 is just really nicemikeexner3 is just really nice

Adamant webcomic!

Happy New Year! On 1/1/2015 Loophole Comics launched the Adamant webcomic!

Adamant is about a superhero thrust into the far future by his greatest enemy. When he arrives, he finds a broken, dystopian world that came about primarily due to his absence from the present. A man out of time, forced into an impossibly bleak future, Adamant must strive to fight against more powerful enemies than hes ever known in an effort to bring a sense of justice and freedom back to the world that was taken from him.

Page 2 was just released today, and from this point forward the creative team will be updating each and every Monday!

Please give Adamant a try, and let us know what you think!

@MikeExner3 - Loophole Comics

ADAMANT updated every Monday!

FREE comics on my PATREON!
mikeexner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

hell yes! been waiting for this to go live!
P.B.DeBerry is a writer/letterer of words, soup enthusiast in Massachusetts with a talent for over thinking. This bio took him five hours to write. You can read more from P.B. at.. fisticuffswriting.com
paul brian deberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:33 AM   #3
Charles
New Hero

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really nice

Not a fan of the front cover, but I like the story, so far.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
mikeexner3
I writ gud?

mikeexner3 is just really nicemikeexner3 is just really nicemikeexner3 is just really nicemikeexner3 is just really nice

Thanks, guys! Adamant is sort of my love letter to superhero comics, and so I'm having a blast with it. I promise to post up a bunch of character sketches and things like that soon.

Charles, anything in particular you didn't like about the cover? Hope the story continues to engage you!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:57 PM   #5
Charles
New Hero

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexner3 View Post
Charles, anything in particular you didn't like about the cover? Hope the story continues to engage you!
Well, since you asked, and this is my opinion of one. Everyone has their opinion on such things.

The front cover is bright. It easily grabs my eye. But, the brightness comes from what I feel to be an over-reliance upon what I refer to as the neon range of colors. Yes, it's bright. I'll grant you that. But, you have all of that bright light or energy emanating from behind the character, plus on top of that, the character, himself, is awash in bright colors. His teeth are white. His eyes are white. Then, on top of it all, the title, itself, is bright.

To me, it's not really balanced, overall. The visuals of the covers are skewered toward brightness. HIs tongue is dark, but look at the color - more purple.

I'm not a fan of the font used for the yellow lettering of Time Travel, Robots, and Frogs, but I am a fan of its legibility, notably the portion of legibility that is derived from the visual clarity of the lettering (distinguished from the font, itself). It's basically all alone on the front, other that the small guy in the loophole Comics block in the upper left.

My eye feels better about that small set of lettering, than it feels about the image of Adamant on the front. Pound for pound, it beats Adamant. It doesn't bother my eye to just sit and stare at the lettering. All of that brightness does, though. It makes me want to turn away, to look at something else. My own eyes don't want me to just sit and admire this cover at great length. The brightness assails them.

Rather than being used selectively, sparingly, to highlight, brightness just floods the cover.

Beyond that, it's one character striking a pose. Take him out of the picture, and what are you left with? What else holds visual interest? If I look at many Jack Kirby covers, for comparison, there's all kinds of visual eye candy competing for my eye's attention. Here, we are treated to a minimal amount of items of visual interest.

Let me compare the cover, to page one of the interior pages. Page one has five panels, and only one of them is attempting to flex the details. But, Dr. Alpha steps right up to the pate, and his dialogue connects with me.

The second panel that he is in, and he's already talking about unleashing destructive power upon nations. Hell, yeah! Now, this is a villain. He has the gonads for the job. He's already taken control of a device that matters, and by the end of page one, he's already calling some insignificant person a fool, and laying claim to the title of superior intellect. It achieves more without all of that brightness that the cover foists upon the prospective reader.

Did I mention that Dr. Alpha sports a monocle? It imbues him with visual character, even though you skimped on the details with him.

On page two of the interior pages, Adamant is already busting through the roof. Fast paced goodness! You must love brightness, because the hole that Adamant comes through from the roof is bedecked with brightness. It washes over what little details is in that roof hole. Because it washes the details out, the eye is drawn away from it. By comparison, even though it's hardly a visual masterpiece, in the spark or smoke or whatever is emanating from those blue wires or pipes on page two, it is an example of selectively using bright colors.

You, however, use bright colors so frequently in this very small subset of art, a total of three pages, that you squander its claim to visual credibility. It's like the little boy who cried wolf. The brightness is everywhere. It's common place. You blew a big visual wad on the cover, but while it certainly makes me think that the cover is bright, it's not as though I am lingering from the beauty of it, or from the sheer genius of the concept embodied by it. I just want to get past it, and the interior pages give my eyes a visual reprieve. Nothing Earth-shattering, but at least it's not like a bright glare trying to damage my eyes.

The debris falling from the roof, the big chunks of ceiling, are more visually interesting that the front cover is.

Dr. Alpha wasn't afforded the benefit of a super-bright front cover, but with three pages on display, I'm more connected to him than to the star of this comic book.

The lettering looks nice. It's easy to read. It's very legible. I don't have to zoom in to read any of the dialogue. The lettering is better than the art or the coloring. It is infinitely better than the front cover.

From what I see, so far, your comic book, Adamant, portends fun - and fun is a grand thing. It is the darling of entertainment forces, everywhere. Personally, though, I think that the guy in the logo, that small version of Adamant, is visually superior to the large version that dominates the geography of that front cover through size, alone.

Your comic is fun, on the inside, The front cover isn't fun. You give us a costumed mannequin posing. All that bright light - is he at a disco?

Not everyone likes the same thing, of course.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
mikeexner3
I writ gud?

First, AdaMonday has arrived again, and Page 3 of ADAMANT is up now! We've made a few changes to the website and to the format of the comic that we think will improve it overall. Please read, and if you enjoy, please share.

Second... Wow. Incredible feedback, Charles! Definitely a more detailed and thought out response than I was expecting. I appreciate everything you mentioned, and tend to agree with you concerning the brightness of the colors on the Cover and that portion of Page 2. Adamant is an ongoing work in progress, and all of the creative team is trying our hardest to make a quality comic that gets better as time goes by.

Concerning your connection with Dr. Alpha, I'm actually glad that the character is resonating with you so quickly, even if Adamant hasn't thus far. I think the true measure of good superheroes is the villains they're pitted against, and we're hoping Dr. Alpha continues to shine just as brightly as our title character, if not more so. Thank you again, and please continue to let us know what you think!

Old 01-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
mikeexner3
I writ gud?

Happy AdamanTuesday! The AdamanTeam updates every Monday, but since I didn't get a chance to log into DW and make a post we're creating a whole other special day just for you guys!

You can read PAGE 4 of Adamant right now, and I'll be back later during the week to show off some behind the scenes work. Thanks for reading, everybody!

Old 01-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #8
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the great work. love the story.
P.B.DeBerry is a writer/letterer of words, soup enthusiast in Massachusetts with a talent for over thinking. This bio took him five hours to write. You can read more from P.B. at.. fisticuffswriting.com
Old 02-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
mikeexner3
I writ gud?

Thanks, Paul! The entire team has been working really hard to stay ahead of the updates and put out the best work we can. I'm really excited about what's coming down the line.

With that said, another update went up Monday, so I'm decreeing another official AdamanTuesday here at Digital Webbing!

Adamant continues to face off against the nefarious Dr. Alpha, and this time the foes go head-to-head. Please check it out, comment and let us know what you think, share it if you feel it's worthy, etc. etc.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #10
Charles
New Hero

The coloring is too light on this episode.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #11
GuavaLava

GuavaLava is on a distinguished road

I was pleasantly surprised! Like Charles, I was a little put off by the coloring, and some of the design, of the cover. But the character design is awesome and story so far is entertaining. Really digging Dr. Alpha's dialogue. Good stuff, man. Keep it up.
GuavaLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:12 PM   #12
mikeexner3
I writ gud?

Thanks for the feedback, everybody!

Charles, sorry the coloring didn't suit you this time around, but we'll continue to tweak things and hopefully we'll get there.

GL, thank you for the compliments. Dr. Alpha is a blast to write, and we'll try our best to keep up the strong characterization.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #13
mikeexner3
I writ gud?

AdamanTuesday rolls around yet again! New page of Adamant is up for all to enjoy, or hate, or be ambivalent about if that's your thing. Please read, and then share and/or let us know what you think!

Old 02-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #14
mikeexner3
I writ gud?

And as promised some time ago, here are some character sketches from the early stages of Adamant by Hany Khattab!

First up is the final character design for our main character, Adamant. Hany and I went back and forth with the character for quite a while, but things really solidified once we had the "A" logo.

Dr. Alpha was much easier to figure out, though we did go with a bald look initially before giving him a full head of hair. Really, it's all about the monocle.

There's plenty more where these came from. Right now it's the Adamant and Alpha show, but before long the cast of characters will expand and I'll be back to share more!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #15
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

brilliant idea for a story.