Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 05-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

Castle grayskull

needed an opening page to a chapter of the book. took the chance to draw this thing all by itself in a way I haven't done yet in almost 300 pages of this book drawn. tried to do some cool line work with the ink. I..think it worked. it was fun to do either way.

Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
HKstash
Illustrator

HKstash is on a distinguished road

This is tight! Very ominous, I love castle grayskull!
HKstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
jeffchris50

jeffchris50 will become famous soon enoughjeffchris50 will become famous soon enough

Artwork is nice and tight and the comp is good. All the sort of crosshatching reminds me of the days when Sal Buscema was being inked by Akin and Garvey on ROM and those are some of my fave issues. Nice work, sir!
jeffchris50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:55 PM   #4
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKstash View Post
This is tight! Very ominous, I love castle grayskull!
thanks man. that's kinda what I was hoping for and if it comes across even a little I feel validated!!!

rob
Old 05-16-2019, 11:56 PM   #5
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchris50 View Post
Artwork is nice and tight and the comp is good. All the sort of crosshatching reminds me of the days when Sal Buscema was being inked by Akin and Garvey on ROM and those are some of my fave issues. Nice work, sir!
thanks my friend. I appreciate that a lot. it was something kinda different but I want to try more of this stuff....
Old 05-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

I am just wondering what would happen if you made the left side of that wall in the foreground solid black... That partial bridge thing I mean...
Old 05-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
I am just wondering what would happen if you made the left side of that wall in the foreground solid black... That partial bridge thing I mean...
ya know..i was wondering what to do there when I was drawing it as well...I originally didn't intend to but ANY solid blacks anywhere. the idea was to just define all shapes and forms with crosshatching linework. but as I worked it, it seemed to really need some solid blacks to separate some things and that part you mentioned was something I wasn't sure what to do.

SO...im at work, but I printed out the image, used a sharpie to fill it in, took another picture with my phone, and than ran it thru a filter on my phone and reuploaded the images to see what your suggestion would look like.

I think you were right...(if you were thinking if would look better/add more separation/better graphic representation..etc etc etc..) I think this is a better version. what do you think? anyone?

Old 05-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

Hm, I guess it does separate the foreground more as I expected.. But of course now the castle drops out a little bit and seems almost too weak, doesn't draw the eye. MAYBE some strategic blacks in the focal points if the castle... But don't listen to me, I could be leading you down a path to the castle grayskull of muddy unclear art..

Also now w that black, I could see those steps being solid black with just the step lines you have made white. To be more consistent w the apparent lighting. Or maybe dark gray steps w white highlight lines separating each step.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #9
TimR

Regardless it's a pretty cool castle grayskull, ominous looking.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:27 PM   #10
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
Hm, I guess it does separate the foreground more as I expected.. But of course now the castle drops out a little bit and seems almost too weak, doesn't draw the eye. MAYBE some strategic blacks in the focal points if the castle... But don't listen to me, I could be leading you down a path to the castle grayskull of muddy unclear art..

Also now w that black, I could see those steps being solid black with just the step lines you have made white. To be more consistent w the apparent lighting. Or maybe dark gray steps w white highlight lines separating each step.
well i seriously appreciate the feedback of thoughts to try different things. its so hard to know whats the best thing to do sometimes. I bet the right colorist could make this look really slick too but...im stuck with my black and white simplicity...

rob
Old 05-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #11
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

the second is much better. It has much more depth and I feel my eyes have a place to go or some thing. The details that are there read better. Less distractions I guess.
I am not sure if you needed to grey out the castle or not.
artsnake is online now   Reply With Quote