Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community > DW Group Project

Old 04-30-2018, 09:08 PM   #16
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Forbes View Post
To be honest, I have always thought that there is an ongoing series in Hotel California by The Eagles.

The song itself can be scenes to draw, and the place itself can be like a horror version of Fantasy Island. (Did I just date myself?)

hmm... I never ever really listened to the lyrics to that song. its not a favorite of mine but its not bad by any means. BUT, based on what you said I just went and looked up the lyrics for the first time ever and I can TOTALLY see what you mean. that's really interesting actually.

the only time I thought about doing something like this was from on old Marty Robbins song, "el paso". a western song about a guy that gets in a bar fight and kills a guy but then has to flee the town to avoid the revenge the killed guys pals plan to inflict on the main hero of the story. he also has to leave behind the woman he loves. but as time passes, he just cant stand to be away from her and as he returns to see her once again, somehow all the bad guys know hes coming and chase him down as he approaches town. in the ensuing chase he is shot and makes it to her door(or whatever) and dies in her arms, getting to see her one last time.

I always wanted to take that story and make it into a future sci fi setting story, kinda like star wars..hover bikes instead of horses. aliens instead of cowboys. stuff like that. its the only time I ever thought about visually translating a song. I still kinda want to do that. not that that many people know who marty robbins is.

rob
Old 04-30-2018, 09:16 PM   #17
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Basically nearly every Nick Cave or Johnny Cash song.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:56 PM   #18
jeffchris50

jeffchris50 will become famous soon enoughjeffchris50 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12013 View Post
hmm... I never ever really listened to the lyrics to that song. its not a favorite of mine but its not bad by any means. BUT, based on what you said I just went and looked up the lyrics for the first time ever and I can TOTALLY see what you mean. that's really interesting actually.

the only time I thought about doing something like this was from on old Marty Robbins song, "el paso". a western song about a guy that gets in a bar fight and kills a guy but then has to flee the town to avoid the revenge the killed guys pals plan to inflict on the main hero of the story. he also has to leave behind the woman he loves. but as time passes, he just cant stand to be away from her and as he returns to see her once again, somehow all the bad guys know hes coming and chase him down as he approaches town. in the ensuing chase he is shot and makes it to her door(or whatever) and dies in her arms, getting to see her one last time.

I always wanted to take that story and make it into a future sci fi setting story, kinda like star wars..hover bikes instead of horses. aliens instead of cowboys. stuff like that. its the only time I ever thought about visually translating a song. I still kinda want to do that. not that that many people know who marty robbins is.

rob
"El Paso" is one of my FAVORITE narrative songs, son! You've gone and struck a nerve! Let's DO this!!! It can truly be a Forum "Jam Session"!
jeffchris50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:06 PM   #19
jeffchris50

jeffchris50 will become famous soon enoughjeffchris50 will become famous soon enough

Don't know if any of you are Harry Chapin fans, but some of his songs that I hold near and dear to my heart that would be great translated into a visual medium are "Taxi/Sequel", "Sniper", "Bummer" and, my fave of all time "The Rock."

Old 04-30-2018, 10:41 PM   #20
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

I could get into this project. I’d likely steer towards Pink Floyd, classic Genesis, Peter Gabriel, or Rush 2112
Old 04-30-2018, 11:53 PM   #21
jeffchris50

Yeah, there is definitely some classic Genesis that could be visualized as well as some YES that would likely make for some great sequential storytelling.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:16 AM   #22
SSTiger
sahithstiger@gmail.com

SSTiger will become famous soon enough

Damn... looks like I missed a lot. But yeah, new group project, I'm in.

I don't listen to music all that much though so I don't know ANYTHING about songs; that kind of thing would probably work better as artist-only projects for best visuals, so you wouldn't need a writer anyway.

But if it's an anthology, count me in, especially if there's any artist who's interested in working together.

I promise I'll watch my page count. Pinky Swear.

Some anthology suggestions:

Star Wars:
Probably the easiest franchise to build a standalone anthology for, in my opinion. Pretty much no limits here. Stories could be anything from something hard sci-fi with no force-sensitive characters, to pure fantasy with mostly force stuff, all the way to other genres like Crime-Noir, War, Space Piracy, Assassination, Western, etc. etc.

Locke & Key:
Every story could be about a different magical key, wielded by a different member of the Locke family at different point of time. We could come up with new keys for those, too.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer:
Something like "Tales of the Slayers" comic, about different Slayers in different time periods. Again, a lot of possibilities to work with.

Marvel Knights:
I remember there was a series under this name, so we could just call it this and do each story about any character in the Marvel U. OR, could be there's a larger threat and each story progresses towards the conclusion bit by bit.

Sample Script
Writer Portfolio

sahithstiger@gmail.com
SSTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #23
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTiger View Post
Damn... looks like I missed a lot. But yeah, new group project, I'm in.

I don't listen to music all that much though so I don't know ANYTHING about songs; that kind of thing would probably work better as artist-only projects for best visuals, so you wouldn't need a writer anyway.

But if it's an anthology, count me in, especially if there's any artist who's interested in working together.

I promise I'll watch my page count. Pinky Swear.

Some anthology suggestions:

Star Wars:
Probably the easiest franchise to build a standalone anthology for, in my opinion. Pretty much no limits here. Stories could be anything from something hard sci-fi with no force-sensitive characters, to pure fantasy with mostly force stuff, all the way to other genres like Crime-Noir, War, Space Piracy, Assassination, Western, etc. etc.

Locke & Key:
Every story could be about a different magical key, wielded by a different member of the Locke family at different point of time. We could come up with new keys for those, too.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer:
Something like "Tales of the Slayers" comic, about different Slayers in different time periods. Again, a lot of possibilities to work with.

Marvel Knights:
I remember there was a series under this name, so we could just call it this and do each story about any character in the Marvel U. OR, could be there's a larger threat and each story progresses towards the conclusion bit by bit.

yeah I agree that the music thing..while interesting...doesn't leave much for any writer to do. so it may not be as appealing.
I like the idea of an anthology book of some type..where we all can have creative freedom but have it linked..in SOME way.

what about the way Heavy Metal magazine has done it..specifically that weird ass animated movie..where there all all kinds of different stories being told but there is a single thru line that connects them all ..SOMEhow... (I know I basically just described the last hellboy project). I'm just trying to think of a way that lets everyone do something that interests them but makes sense as a whole book.

tho..again..it doesn't HAVE to. I PERSONALLY wouldn't mind seeing a collection of creator owned stories. nuts to this corporate/owned characters. why don't we just pretend we are Image comics bach when they started... we are all like the image 7 (but however many of us their are) and we just put together a book of specifically creator owned material. characters that have never been seen before. as long or as short as you want them to be. that could be fun. they wont be linked together in any way but..its just OUR stories.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #24
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Love the Heavy Metal movie

An artifact or object that can be used through all the stories could be cool.
Just have the 'powers or purpose' of the object as a solid guideline.
Maybe also a very general setting...eg future, another galaxy, present day etc.

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
Old 05-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #25
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Maybe not even an artifact, but a word or idea. Like everyone takes the word “strong” and tells a story around it using their own characters. Strong can mean and be shown to be many different things.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:36 PM   #26
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

How about 'The Book of the Dead'.
Doesn't just have to be zombies etc, there might be alot of other spells on there.

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
Old 05-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #27
Bishop

Wouldn’t even have to be spells. Just stories from the Book of the Dead. Detailing the story of the souls held within...
Old 05-09-2018, 09:45 PM   #28
jeffchris50

An anthology sounds interesting.

STAR WARS would be interesting if we were able to do new, original stuff set in the same galaxy far, far away or, even more intriguing, bring the SW characters, etc., a little closer to home by having encounters with, of course, TREK, maybe the Shi’ar, Kree, Skrull, Dire Wraiths, Thanos or Galactus (or Galactus in the SW galaxy?) from MARVEL or the New Gods/Apokolips/Darkseid, the Green Lantern Corps., and some of the various other space-faring characters of the DC Universe. Would also be interested in doing a story/series of stories of SW characters and tech on Earth (an idea that’s intrigued me for a while now).

Buffy the Vampire Slayer I’m always up for as there are likely plenty of stories to mine from that particular universe/character set.

Another idea to interject is maybe doing an anthology of great female fighters/characters to compliment Buffy; an original Slayer story, maybe a story of Sarah Conner post-Terminator, a good solo Scully tale, The Bionic Woman, Xena, Red Sonja (of course), Max (from Dark Angel) or Nikita and/or Alex from Nikita.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:25 PM   #29
jeffchris50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Wouldn’t even have to be spells. Just stories from the Book of the Dead. Detailing the story of the souls held within...
This would be a cool idea, too! It would be an added bonus to really take our time with this project and release it on/around Hallowe’en (what better time?).
Old 05-10-2018, 02:27 AM   #30
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

I think anything from the land of DISNEY should be avoided.
They are sue happy people.

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz