Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 08-19-2006, 08:50 PM   #16
raya

raya has disabled reputation

What Kep says is true, however, Image doesn't pay until the comic makes money. I'm more interested in paid assignments, especially since I want to be a penciller eventually (hopefully sooner than later, lol). I choose lettering because of my background in typography and I love comics and computers.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:00 PM   #17
Ninjai
Web Designer

Ninjai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kep!
Image does not have a house style as they do not have a house...they're a coop and it's up to the creators. Ed does his thing on his books...other people do other things, good or bad.

Marvel and DC DO have house styles, but they're not 100%. Basically, if you're a letterer, you need to be flexible. Semper Gumbi!
Kep's my hero of lettering. Just thought i'd add that.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:14 AM   #18
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Kel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by raya
Image doesn't pay until the comic makes money.
That completely depends on who you're working for and what your arrangement with them is. Though I've not done any Image books myself I know several guys who have and most of them get paid on completion.
Kel Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:46 AM   #19
raya

raya has disabled reputation

http://www.imagecomics.com/submissions.php

"The books Image publishes are creator owned/creator generated properties and WE DON'T PAY PAGE RATES. It will be up to you to strike a deal with whomever you end up working with and we'll do our best to make it as painless as possible. Image takes a small, flat fee off the books we publish and the rest goes to that comic book's creative team. How that profit is split up is entirely up to the creators involved."

And I never said the individual creators don't pay, but in the ads they usually say it's % of sales. I have one job that pays that way, but otherwise I can't afford non-paying jobs.

FYI, in a few forums like ConceptArt.org Forums (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
and Gutterzombie (www.gutterzombie.com) they don't consider backend jobs paid jobs. They won't even let you post in the paid section then.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:05 PM   #20
Piekos
Blambot Font Guy

Piekos has disabled reputation

Marvel may have a "style" but there's a lot of wiggle room. I'm lettering some westerns and a new X-Men book and when I've had ideas to better fit the lettering to the style of art, my editors have almost always given me the thumbs up.

~N
Old 08-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #21
Clem Robins

Clem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura about

house styles

marvel has always had a house style. it's called Artie Simek. when i began working for them thirty years ago, they gave me a xerox of one of his pages and told me this was what they always wanted. and they meant it. this eased up a bit in the late 70s, when Jim Novak and John Costanza were doing pages by the carload for them. both guys were just so damn good, their work began to redefine the house style. but the Simek look remains associated with Marvel to some degree. it's not a coincidence that they were the first big company to really embrace digital lettering. the sterility of early Comicraft is a lot like the sterility of Artie Simek. DC, standing in the shadows of Gaspar and Costanza, resisted digital lettering as long as their editors could manage.

DC's house style has always been the preferences of their editors, particularly their senior editors. this goes back decades. in the 1960s, when there were a few people getting work from a few editors there, a lot of who worked on what had to do with the forcefulness and clout of whoever sat in the editor's chair. very powerful people, like Julie Schwartz and Bob Kanigher, monopolized Gaspar, their letterer of choice. one of the only shortcomings of the original Doom Patrol book arguably the best superhero comic ever done by anybody is that Gaspar only lettered one issue of it. (there's a lesson in that, as well. DP's editor, the wonderful Murray Boltinoff, was not a micromanager: he believed in hiring good people, and letting them do their thing. the downside of this is that he didn't fight for the people he wanted in the support categories, like lettering. DP had the weakest letterer in DC's stable.)

the difference between DC and Marvel's look also has to do with procedure. or at least it used to. DC's pencillers worked from full scripts, and designed their pages with lettering in mind. Marvel's artists worked from a plot outline, and the writers composed dialogue around what the pencillers gave them. as a result, lettering at Marvel always had a more generic quality about it thus the presence for a dependable and not terribly interesting letterer like Artie Simek. i don't do a lot of work for Marvel lately, so i don't know if this sort of thing still prevails there.

different people want different things. if you do any work for Scott Allie at Darkhorse, listen him out very carefully. he knows exactly what he wants, and as much as i differ from many of his opinions, his instincts and his visual sense are excellent. if you get a placement guide from Scott or one of his assistants, think twice before deviating from it.

and then there are the powerful artists. Mike Mignola, Steve Rude and a few others call the shots on any book they're associated with. give them exactly what they want. they have earned your respect.
Clem Robins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #22
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Kel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by raya
http://www.imagecomics.com/submissions.php

"The books Image publishes are creator owned/creator generated properties and WE DON'T PAY PAGE RATES. It will be up to you to strike a deal with whomever you end up working with and we'll do our best to make it as painless as possible. Image takes a small, flat fee off the books we publish and the rest goes to that comic book's creative team. How that profit is split up is entirely up to the creators involved."

And I never said the individual creators don't pay, but in the ads they usually say it's % of sales.
Yes, but like you say, Image doesn't hire you on Image central books, the creators do. Yes, many are % deals but many are not. I'm just saying don't close yourself off to Image books just because you assume it doesn't pay...make sure they don't pay and THEN write them off. You kinda made it sound like "Image?! ppppft!! Forget Image, man, I needs the money!!?"

Good luck.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:48 PM   #23
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Robins
if you do any work for Scott Allie at Darkhorse, listen him out very carefully. he knows exactly what he wants, and as much as i differ from many of his opinions, his instincts and his visual sense are excellent. if you get a placement guide from Scott or one of his assistants, think twice before deviating from it.
I don't pick up many DH books but with the exception of Conan, I find a lot of the lettering very unpleasant to look at. Distracting. Which I guess all goes back into different things for different people.

And thanks for the interesting post.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #24
eDuke

eDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to behold

Doesn't Richard Starkings letter Conan?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #25
Clem Robins

Clem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura about

last i heard, yeah, it was Richard lettering Conan.

scott knows exactly what he wants.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #26
Clem Robins

[QUOTE=Kel Nuttall]I don't pick up many DH books but with the exception of Conan, I find a lot of the lettering very unpleasant to look at.

you mean like the stuff i do for them? grrrrrr
Old 08-20-2006, 06:40 PM   #27
Kep!
Mad Genius

Location: Ok, maybe just a little ticked off, not actually mad.
Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Clem Robins]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Nuttall
I don't pick up many DH books but with the exception of Conan, I find a lot of the lettering very unpleasant to look at.

you mean like the stuff i do for them? grrrrrr
Or me? Double Grrrrr!
Kep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:19 PM   #28
eDuke

eDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to behold

Let's all kick Kel's ass.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:55 PM   #29
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Gonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDuke
Let's all kick Kel's ass.
With a name like Kel Nuttall how can we not? And I don't even letter a Dark Horse comic!

I kid, Kel.
WANT MY COMIC, THE LAST EMBER #0 FOR FREE?! CLICK HERE!
Last Ember Press
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Gonzogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:36 PM   #30
eDuke

Haw. If you saw Kel, you wouldn't be saying that. He's like a big, giant Grizzly Bear.