The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 04-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Morganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of light

Creating a cover for my comic

This is just the basics, I'd just like to know if anything stands out as wrong, if you think it looks old school then I'm on the right track. Also working on color scheme for the title, right now I'm thinking of going with blue face and yellow-orange trim.

Looking for opinions.

Last edited by Morganza; 04-26-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: updated 4 times
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
Thomas Mauer
Letterer & Designer

Thomas Mauer will become famous soon enough

You need to think about the bleed and trim area on your cover the same as on interior pages.

Judging by the screenshot, you're working with 6.875x10.4375" (or 10.5") document size.

Your bleed area is 0.125" on each side. That's getting trimmed off leaving you with a visible 6.625x10.1875" (or 10.25") as the final dimensions.

All vital information including logo and cover dress should be inside your live area. To be safe make it a centered 6x9.4375" (or 9.5")

You CAN have cover dress elements peek outside the live area and onto the trim area, but don't chance it too much. when the bleed area gets trimmed off you'll hardly ever get a 100% perfect trim on an entire print run. Those cuts can be a little off meaning stuff on your trim area will be cut off in unintended places.

Right now it looks like your cover will be trimmed such:

Left: Right on the left stroke of the barcode box.

Top: Somewhere on the black strip right above BLACK PYRAMID STUDIOS and trimming off a bit of the stamp.

RIGHT: On the outline of the S in the logo.

Bottom: Half of the space between the document border and the barcode box.

There are also some tangents in the logo caused by the outlines, particularly between OF and PACIFICA. I'd suggest making their outlines as big as in GUARDIANS and combining them all into one, as if the letters are sitting on a plate. The placeholders left and right of OF should have the same dimensions and also be integrated into this overall outline.

Ditch the slim wedges in the M and N outlines, and move the upper corner of the M outline up until those lines are parallel to the M's diagonal lines.

You could also nudge the P and A a little to the right for more even letter spacing.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Jeff LeBlanc

Jeff LeBlanc will become famous soon enough

Also, the lettering in the BLACK PYRAMID STUDIOS banner just looks like a normal font that's been squashed down 50%. It throws off the balance of line weights in the font, making it less attractive and less not very legible--the S is particular becomes really wonky.
Jeff LeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Morganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of light

Excellent crits Thomas and Jeff!

Thomas, thanks for the in-depth overview of how a cover is set up, this was extremely helpful and I have reset my template to match it.

Thank you dudes, I knew I would get valuable help here!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Here's my update, I need to fix the trim on the title but the edges get rounded out in PS, does anyone know how to expand the edges and still make them sharp?

Old 04-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
Co.Inkadink

I'm not any authority or expert on lettering but I know what looks good and what I like. The Logo is really good. Throw some color on it and I think it would really catch the eye. This would make me want to look further at the comic which I suppose is the point.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Thanks very much Coinkadink! I think I can refine it even more, well I'm trying to.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
Piekos
Blambot Font Guy

Piekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nice

My biggest issue is that the light source on the faux bevel is inconsistent. And I'll second what Thomas brought up: You're really tempting fate by blowing past the safe lettering area (blue line).

~N
Old 04-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Thanks Piekos, I already reorganized the layout to set everything inside the safe zone, I'll post an update later. I'll go back and make the lighting more consistent with the 3d bevel. Thanks for your input!
Old 04-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #10
ponyrl
OmenSpirit always...

ponyrl has much to be proud ofponyrl has much to be proud ofponyrl has much to be proud ofponyrl has much to be proud ofponyrl has much to be proud ofponyrl has much to be proud ofponyrl has much to be proud ofponyrl has much to be proud ofponyrl has much to be proud ofponyrl has much to be proud ofponyrl has much to be proud of

The logo feels like its battling for attention against the book title because of the proximity and size. I'd adjust the size to be less combative.

"That was last year. This year
I'm trying to earn a living."
-Sunset Boulevard
ponyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #11
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

OK, thanks Ponyrl, I did some tweaks.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #12
Scribbly
Easy reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

I would invert the color, yellow for letters and blue for outlines.
Or use a lighter blue on top of that golden yellow.
The fitted version looks better. IMHO.

Last edited by Scribbly; 04-27-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:22 AM   #13
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Thanks Scribbly! I've tried both ways and don't like them, I think I like the plain white face on the gold bevel, after a dozen tweaks I like this one the most, Here's my final look.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
AdWilliams

AdWilliams is on a distinguished road

best logo designs

I'm no expert in these things, but I've found the best logo designs incorporate themes from the actual book. Take a look at the original "Excalibur" logo from Marvel; it incorporated swords into the logo, probably as an attempt to connect it with British and Arthurian mythology. On it's own, this logo is pretty good. But what's the book about?

From the title, I'd guess something dealing with the ocean, a sea-based team. If this is the case, why not try to design a logo incorporating rolling waves or something similar. Something not only used for the logo, but almost emblematic.

Just a thought.
AdWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #15
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

I appreciate the thought Ad, the book is about superheroes, and I am content with the logo as is.