Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 07-05-2018, 04:20 AM   #16
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

I switched over to the Mac in 2008 or thereabouts, and Corel hasn't made a version of their Draw for the Mac... so it hasn't come up as even an option for me. I mean, I could run it in a virtual machine, but I have Illustrator so no need to try.

If you get a discounted price on an older version, then yeah... the newer subscription model of Adobe is not good if you aren't making regular coin to pay for it... but if you have to buy the latest version of something, then it starts to be worth considering depending on what Corel Draw costs these days.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #17
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

Manga Studio is a perfect alternative to Illustrator. It's easy to use.
P.B.DeBerry is a writer/letterer of words, soup enthusiast in Massachusetts with a talent for over thinking. This bio took him five hours to write. You can read more from P.B. at.. fisticuffswriting.com
paul brian deberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brian deberry View Post
Manga Studio is a perfect alternative to Illustrator. It's easy to use.
With the greatest respect, you can't letter worth a damn in Manga/Clip Studio. Its typographic controls aren't fit for purpose. It doesn't support OpenType features like autoligatures; will try to apply faux bold/italics even if you have the correct bold/italic fonts installed; and generally lacks the fine-grained control over tracking, kerning and the like.

Affinity Designer is a pretty credible Illustrator replacement, and you can definitely letter with it — out for Mac, Windows and iOS. It's a one-off purchase (about $50, I think) rather than an ongoing license and there are pros out there right now doing work with it.
JimCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:29 PM   #19
Tomas M91

Tomas M91 is on a distinguished road

Can confirm Affinity Designer as a good Illustrator replacement. However common tools (shear, mesh, etc) arent available yet but will be in the future. There are manual transformations (along x/y) which can do it but seems more daunting
Tomas M91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:12 AM   #20
Ace Corona
Microterran Liberator

Ace Corona has a spectacular aura aboutAce Corona has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCampbell View Post
With the greatest respect, you can't letter worth a damn in Manga/Clip Studio. Its typographic controls aren't fit for purpose. It doesn't support OpenType features like autoligatures; will try to apply faux bold/italics even if you have the correct bold/italic fonts installed; and generally lacks the fine-grained control over tracking, kerning and the like.

Affinity Designer is a pretty credible Illustrator replacement, and you can definitely letter with it out for Mac, Windows and iOS. It's a one-off purchase (about $50, I think) rather than an ongoing license and there are pros out there right now doing work with it.
Thanks for letting us know
Ace Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #21
maverick

maverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nice

I have an old Mac that runs snow leopard and honestly the only reason I keep it around is because it runs Illustrator CS2.
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #22
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

I know this thread is catered to letterers but it'd be nice if you could show us your lettering. Sorry to break the flow of conversation! I just want to see what you guys are talking about.
pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #23
Lucas.Gattoni
Comic book Letterer

Lucas.Gattoni is on a distinguished road

Well, here's (some of) what I've been up to lately... The Lettering Bear Portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandayboss View Post
I know this thread is catered to letterers but it'd be nice if you could show us your lettering. Sorry to break the flow of conversation! I just want to see what you guys are talking about.

Go check my portfolio!
Lucas.Gattoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #24
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas.Gattoni View Post
Well, here's (some of) what I've been up to lately... The Lettering Bear Portfolio
Cool portfolio!

So it seems that nothing is different from lettering with Corel or Photoshop or something. Is it better with corel?
pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote