Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 12-13-2015, 11:50 PM   #16
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

A new parody today, and a new parody logo... I also had created another version of this logo a while back for a different-yet-similar parody, and I realized I hadn't posted that here either.

First up: Classic Star Wars movie logo from the original movie poster, followed by my Sect Wars parody version from an early Sunday episode of my 'Sects comic strip...

Next: Modern Star Wars movie logo, followed by my Sect Wars version for a new parody in today's Sunday episode of 'Sects...

Old 12-19-2015, 02:25 AM   #17
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

For something else I'm working on... related to my comic strip... needed to create the classic DC Mystery in Space title/logo design... then apply my parody variant "Mystery in 'Sects."

Old 01-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #18
Stewart Vernon

Way way way (way way way) back, I responded to a request for logo design here on the forum. It was for a title/logo design for Zombie Exterminators. Ultimately we both agreed that we were going in two different directions, and he has since published with an entirely different logo design than any I had worked up for him.

These have been sitting in my "unused" art pile for long enough now that I wanted to do throw them out into the world of my portfolio. Even though they ultimately were not to his liking, I am still pleased to look back on these and what I was attempting to do.

I had held onto them privately until he published, so I didn't accidentally spill any beans by pre-announcing anything he was doing... but now that the cat has been out of the bag a while, I wanted to share my take on the logo and title designs that went unused.

My first concept:

While I liked the oozing lettering on this one, he felt it was a bit more cartoony than he wanted to go for the title.

Second concept:

I think this is a stronger overall design than the first one I did. The bullet casing is also more bronze looking, and I added bullet holes that I thought popped things more.

Third concept (variant of second):

The difference between 2 and 3 is the shotgun shell from the side/leaning instead of looking at just the bottom of the shell. I still like the #2 design overall the best.

Last, but not least, a brand logo design:

He was looking for a "ZX" icon to use, and I had the idea to do a branding iron look. I did a couple of variations on twisted-wire design to form a ZX icon. I considered a circular run around it as well, but it started to look like an X-Men brand at that point.

I really liked the branding iron logo look because it opened itself up to be used in the comic itself, and also you could show it as the branding iron OR as a burnt brand into another surface.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:35 PM   #19
Stewart Vernon

From another recent parody in my 'Sects comic strip...

The Bad Robot logotype followed by my Bug Robot parody version:

Old 02-28-2016, 11:03 PM   #20
Stewart Vernon

Another parody in my 'Sects comic strip... I decided to take a little swipe at Seinfeld.

What worked really well is that I was able to repurpose the inverted triangle used as dotting-the-"i" in the real logo as my apostrophe in the 'Sectfeld parody version.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:25 PM   #21
Stewart Vernon

So... in my 'Sects comic strip today I was going to talk about Thor and mention Walt Simonson... so I thought it would be neat to have the character say "Simonson" using his famous dinosaur signature, so that necessitated the creation of this...

I think it works well in the comic, and I'm planning a blog post (probably this weekend) about Walt's famous signature and what it means to me. It's interesting, how a signature can itself become a work of art as it has in the case of Mr Simonson.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:30 AM   #22
Stewart Vernon

Stayed up way too late tonight, but I wanted to get this done once I started... my recreation of the Batman v Superman movie logo from the movie posters.

Updated now to have fully cutout sections, with transparency, so it can go on any background now...

Last edited by Stewart Vernon; 03-26-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Stewart Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:00 AM   #23
Stewart Vernon

For this Sunday's parody... I needed something close to the proper Amazing Spider-Man logo... so here's what happened:

If you look closely, there are some differences (especially the S and the M) between my recreation and the original Marvel logo, but it was close enough for government work and for what I needed.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:04 AM   #24
Stewart Vernon

Yesterday's parody led surprisingly seamlessly into another parody today... so I had to recreate another logo. This time one of the classic Invincible Iron-Man logos, followed by my Inconceivable T-Rump parody version...

For what it's worth... I considered the rivets on the face of the letters... but my plan for this was at such a small size it felt like work that would go largely unnoticed and unappreciated. It would be a fairly simple thing to add later should I feel so inclined.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:06 AM   #25
Stewart Vernon

A work-in-progress logo/title design for a story idea I had. This is a short-story idea, so this wouldn't be a cover title or anything. The idea is for this to be the title of the story itself, and would appear on an opening splash page in the beginning of the story...

Old 04-03-2016, 12:58 AM   #26
Stewart Vernon

Made an animated GIF last night for when my blog rolls past 20,000 hits. I figured it might happen by the end of March, looks like I missed that estimate by a couple of days... but it should happen sometime Sunday at the current pace.

I basically took what I had done for the 10,000th hit and added more frames to that. I think it works well. Don't know how long I'll keep doing that, but if I come up with a cute idea for the next milestone, who knows...
Old 04-04-2016, 03:40 AM   #27
Stewart Vernon

Another parody this Sunday led me to recreate the Family Guy tv show title/logo... and of course my parody Family Bug version.

I thought it worked well to also replace their TV that dotted-the-I with my punctuation mascot bee.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:14 AM   #28
Stewart Vernon

This Sunday I did a parody of the Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure movie poster... so that led to recreating the logo from that poster and, of course, my parody version as well...

I think it worked pretty well in the strip, which I'm about to post in my 'Sects thread in the Projects forum in just a sec...
Old 04-25-2016, 01:04 AM   #29
Stewart Vernon

Continuing a theme... this week I did something with Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey...

I can't tell you just how tempted I was to make it "Bugus" journey... but I resisted the temptation
Old 04-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #30
Stewart Vernon

For a change... posting a logo recreation and companion parody version BEFORE I actually use it somewhere. I just knew I wanted to do a Battlestar Galactica parody at some point, so I went to work this evening...

It's kind of a hybrid of the classic and modern series. I didn't make the lettering three-dimensional like the modern logo but I did use the red stripes to enhance the appearance because I liked that aspect.