Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 05-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
nihane26

nihane26 is on a distinguished road

Lettering with Corel Draw

Just curious if anyone knows how to letter with corel draw. I'm having some problems and some help would be appreciated.
nihane26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Piekos
Blambot Font Guy

Piekos has disabled reputation

I use Corel DRAW for design all the time. Ask away.

~N
Old 05-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
nihane26

How do i do word balloons? i've tried and i can't seem to get it right.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
Piekos
Blambot Font Guy

Piekos has disabled reputation

Create a circle with the cirlce tool.

If you want to square it off just a little bit, convert it to curves: ARRANGE/CONVERT TO CURVES. Select the Shape tool (the node editor) and click anywhere on the circle. You'll see the 4 nodes appear. Select one of the nodes and while holding down the CONTROL key, Pull on the node "arms" that appear. Repeat on the node on the other side.

To create the tail: Draw a triangle with the Freehand tool. Select the Shape tool again, select the triangle and when the nodes are selected, you can click the CONVERT LINE TO CURVE button on the menu at the top of your workspace. Then just grab the lines that you want to curve and curve them.

To connect the tail to the balloon, place the tail on the balloon, select both with the Pick tool and then hit the WELD button at the top of your work space.

It sounds way more complex than it is. Takes all of 5 seconds when you get used to it.

~N
Old 05-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
nihane26

Thanks for the help. I was about to pull my hair out figuring that out.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:22 PM   #6
Ace Corona
Microterran Liberator

Ace Corona has a spectacular aura aboutAce Corona has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piekos View Post
I use Corel DRAW for design all the time. Ask away.

~N
Can you show examples of your lettering with CorelDraw?
Ace Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:36 PM   #7
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

The post you're replying to is over 12 years old... he might not be using Corel Draw anymore.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #8
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Also, I haven't seen Piekos around here for a very long time. It is unlikely he will come back and post samples.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:20 PM   #9
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, he was using CorelDraw probably to save money.
P.B.DeBerry is a writer/letterer of words, soup enthusiast in Massachusetts with a talent for over thinking. This bio took him five hours to write. You can read more from P.B. at.. fisticuffswriting.com
paul brian deberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:20 PM   #10
Ace Corona
Microterran Liberator

Sorry for necroposting, I Googled this topic and it brought me to this thread.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:31 PM   #11
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

Nah, it's cool.
P.B.DeBerry is a writer/letterer of words, soup enthusiast in Massachusetts with a talent for over thinking. This bio took him five hours to write. You can read more from P.B. at.. fisticuffswriting.com
paul brian deberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:11 AM   #12
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah... just didn't want you to be waiting for an answer that probably wasn't coming

I will say, that I honestly don't remember ever hearing of anyone lettering in Corel Draw outside of this thread. My father used it for years as a Technical Illustrator before switch back to Adobe Illustrator... and when I was at IBM they used Corel Draw for Technical Illustrations in all the manuals we wrote... but when I was looking into tools-of-the-trade for comics stuff, I never found references to anything other than Illustrator for lettering.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #13
Ace Corona
Microterran Liberator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Vernon View Post
Yeah... just didn't want you to be waiting for an answer that probably wasn't coming

I will say, that I honestly don't remember ever hearing of anyone lettering in Corel Draw outside of this thread. My father used it for years as a Technical Illustrator before switch back to Adobe Illustrator... and when I was at IBM they used Corel Draw for Technical Illustrations in all the manuals we wrote... but when I was looking into tools-of-the-trade for comics stuff, I never found references to anything other than Illustrator for lettering.
Thank you for your concern, I was interested in seeing if Corel was a cheaper alternative to Illustrator, I have the student edition of CS 5 but my laptop isnít going to last forever. If I got a new laptop, the adobe subscription seems overpriced.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #14
Toondoctor

Toondoctor is on a distinguished road

Corel Draw's most current version is probably very similar to Illustrator. Haven"t used them it in over a decade but it was solid then, probably still is now. The toolsets of most of these apps have stabilized over decades ago. The differences are in export filter, plug ins and interface.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #15
Ace Corona
Microterran Liberator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toondoctor View Post
Corel Draw's most current version is probably very similar to Illustrator. Haven"t used them it in over a decade but it was solid then, probably still is now. The toolsets of most of these apps have stabilized over decades ago. The differences are in export filter, plug ins and interface.
Thank you for your help, thatís good to know