The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 03-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #31
Scribbly
Lazy Reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quahkm, your layout sketches, your storytelling, sense of composition, and final rendering
are breathtaking.

Your weak sides are the FIGURE CONSTRUCTION, along with the human anatomy
(maybe animal anatomy as well?).
Keep working and putting all your attention on improve these, and you’ll be the number one soon.

You mentioned the French market before.
The French publishers are very demanding. (They pay very well too.)
And for them, what is of utmost importance is the factor graphic RESEARCH.
They can be demanding to levels of craziness on any possible detail that appears in each panel of the page.
The artists must know not just how every object looks, but how it works.
Be very careful about this.

I tell you this as a colleague and admirer of your artwork.
Good luck.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #32
quahkm

quahkm will become famous soon enoughquahkm will become famous soon enough

Thank you, guys. I will definitely reference more on my future work and hope not to disappoint too many of you. Technically I am quite comfortable but my flaw is probably lack of research as many of you pointed out to make it look great and not relying too much on what I see in my head. I am now very curious to how my next page will look.

Looking forward to sharing more with you.

Best,

Alan Quah

http://quahkm.deviantart.com/
quahkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #33
thejaz180
The artist from Brooklyn

thejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the roughthejaz180 is a jewel in the rough

Wow, I missed a lot, awesome stuff Alan.
thejaz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #34
jessej07

jessej07 is on a distinguished road

This whole thread is inspiring- Alan's progression and great art followed by the really well developed crits just make me feel very motivated. Much thanks to all those who have posted in this thread, especially Alan for putting his work out there for us all to scrutinize.
jessej07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:18 AM   #35
quahkm

Finished Art for RAGE project.

Hello, friends... Happy New Year!

Finally got the green light to post, below are my finished art drawn with comments and advice given in this forum, hope you like the end result.

Best,

Alan Quah

Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #36
ld-airgrafix

ld-airgrafix will become famous soon enoughld-airgrafix will become famous soon enough

These are just freakin awesome, the only thing that bothers me is 1st page last panel, girl on table, her arm looks a little weird, other than that love it
ld-airgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #37
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

After seeing the first few sketches and skipping all the crits, I just have to that the overall impression to me is.... this is awesome.

This artwork reminds me of the Savage Sword of Conan and other great, detailed black and white work.

No work all ever be perfect, but this is solid with beautiful rendering.
Nicely done.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #38
quahkm

Thank you, I know it's not perfect but I do try to draw based on the crits received and enhance the sequence as I go along.

Best,

Alan Quah

Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #39
DanSchoon

DanSchoon is on a distinguished road

This came to together really nice.

Might just be me, but it took a second for me to realize that the last panel on the the first page wasn't just the foreground for the previous panel.
DanSchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #40
creativesynergy
Steve Colle, Editor

creativesynergy has a spectacular aura aboutcreativesynergy has a spectacular aura aboutcreativesynergy has a spectacular aura about

Alan, the pages are in their final versions, so anything that I COULD have said are moot at this point. That said, I'm just going to make two comments to consider for the future.

First, the woman being sacrificed. I'm looking at how much slack there seems to be in her binding given that she can move her legs and arms. Her legs are bound together and she's able to bend her knees substantially, while her hands are bound separately and she has her arms bent over her head (which doesn't look right as it looks like she can't straighten them, that they're stuck in that position when they shouldn't be). I'd think that sacrifices would have their limbs tightly bound so they had no slack to possibly escape from. The second point regarding the woman is her facial expression and her consistently bent limbs. Her face tells me she's drugged, but her limbs tell me she's got energy in order to bend at the joints. If she's drugged, her limbs should be relaxed. Also, she doesn't seem to be squirming all that much as her legs and arms are consistently bent, so there's no sense of her trying to escape with a straight body/bend and pull hard/straighten body/bend and pull hard again motion. Consider her physical state and her determination (or lack of) to escape her situation. Two and two don't equal four here.

Second, the expressions on the gathering crowd's faces in the last page. They all look the same, like you cut and pasted the expression from one to another: Eyes wide and mouth open, aghast. Everyone would react differently. Change it up to create individuality in your characters, even if they are just people in a crowd.

I came in late to the party and wasn't able to put in my two cents worth, but hopefully you'll consider my points for future reference.

Steve
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #41
robozo

robozo has a spectacular aura aboutrobozo has a spectacular aura about

WOW!!! fantastic stuff!!
robozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #42
quahkm

Thank you for the likes and comments! I'll take note on the expressions and body language.

A