The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Writer Showcase

Old 09-09-2005, 06:33 PM   #1
rcosgrove
Loudmouth copy editor

rcosgrove will become famous soon enough

Companies accepting pitches from writers

Here are list of links from my bookmarks of comic publishers that accept submissons of scripts from writers, without artist.

If you know of any other companies, or want to correct information give here, post it here. If you want to discuss the companies or how to submit, please start a new thread (after reading the old ones first ).

Although I've checked the links, I can not guarantee the companies still exist or are currently accepting submissions.

Avatar Press - 8-12pg full script, using a character from Avatar's stable.

Com-X - UK comic publisher. Currently not accepting submissions until early 2006.

Dark Horse - Read guidelines before submitting.

Deadlight Studios - I don't know if Deadlight is accepting submissions, as its website's down for maintenance. If someone from Deadlight is reading this, please let us know.

Marvel Entertainment - Marvel does not accept unsolicited submissions. But you can write an inquiry letter.

Platinum Studios - Before submitting to Platinum, read Lee Nording's articles on pitching and do what he says.

2000AD (Rebellion) - 2000AD accepts submissions for five-page Future Shocks.

Warpton - I believe they look for one-shot comics only.

- Richard
Columnist: Voices in my Head @ Scryptic Studios (I'm back)
rcosgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
rcosgrove
Loudmouth copy editor

rcosgrove will become famous soon enough

Jeff (aka DarkOra) has been updating his list of company submission guidelines in his blog Dark Ramblings. So, straight from Jeff's blog, here are more companies:

Toykopop - Toykopop makes American manga. The company does have a UK branch, but that site doesn't have any submission guidelines.

Mad Magazine - Comedy. Mad style.

Humanoids Publishing - Humanoid Publishing does not accept any submissions from unpublished writers or unsolicited scripts or pitches from published writers. Instead, it asks writers to send in an inquiry letter and a resume of their published writing.

Antartic Press - This company is primarily looking for writer/artist/letterers who can produce a comic solo. But if you submit as a writer, it asks you send in a 4pg treatment or synopsis. Full scripts are not accepted. This link also has lots of advice about submitting work to comic publishers, and it's advice not just applicable to Antartic Press.

Shooting Star Comics - Writers are required to send in a cover letter and a one page synopsis/pitch. No scripts or longer treatments.

Keenspot - a cartoon strip collective. I think.

Last Gasp - "Last Gasp is one of the largest and oldest publishers and purveyors of underground comic books in the world, as well as being a distributor of all sorts of weird 'n' wonderful subversive literature, graphic novels, tattoo and art books."

Elfquest.com - Only accepts canonical Elfquest stories featuring Elfquest characters for inclusion in an occasional anthology.

Gemstone - Publishes The Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide, The Big Big Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, Hake's Price Guide To Character Toys, The Overstreet Toy Ring Price Guide, The Overstreet Indian Arrowheads Identification and Price Guide, Comic Book Marketplace, and the weekly newsletter Scoop. Also publishes Disney comics.

Papercuts - Publishes manga.
Columnist: Voices in my Head @ Scryptic Studios (I'm back)

Last edited by rcosgrove; 09-11-2005 at 04:06 PM.
rcosgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
DannoE
Another wannabe

DannoE will become famous soon enough

Papercuts also has the license for Zorro. I have their Zorro #1, and it is not manga.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

Awesome Storm Justice 41
Stray Voltage
MySpace

And now Bronx Angel on ComicSpace! Hooray!
DannoE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:15 PM   #4
dearreader
Jaime the Weirdo

dearreader is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb Very Nice

Writers need the links & the news as to what is happening in the world of publishing so Great Job!

Adios!

Jaime
Old 10-05-2005, 10:08 AM   #5
Trey of Diamonds
Semper Laurus

Trey of Diamonds has disabled reputation

MAM TOR Publishing is accepting various forms of submissions for Liam Sharp’s Event Horizon anthology book. Click here for Submission Guidelines.

http://www.comicspace.com/trey/

Traffic and Logistics Manager
Visionary Comics Studio
http://www.visionarycomics.com/

Creator of Mamluk and Cyra
http://www.vcsmamluk.blogspot.com/
Trey of Diamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
Obnoxiad

Obnoxiad is on a distinguished road

This is a bit out of place, but CHAOSIUM the RPG company that makes CALL OF CTHULHU does a small print item called monographs. I don't think it pays, but I believe they take submissions for everything from adventure scenarios, to guide books, to history notes that relate to the Mythos of Lovecraft and friends.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
kaushikkarforma

kaushikkarforma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obnoxiad
This is a bit out of place, but CHAOSIUM the RPG company that makes CALL OF CTHULHU does a small print item called monographs. I don't think it pays, but I believe they take submissions for everything from adventure scenarios, to guide books, to history notes that relate to the Mythos of Lovecraft and friends.
Shawn,

Chaosium does pay for the monographs - a flat fee of $250 for 500 copies, initially. If they decide to print the another 500 copies, they will pay another $250. That's what is written on their Website. I am plotting a monograph to submit to them? Are you?

Kaushik
kaushikkarforma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:55 PM   #8
Caleb Monroe
That guy.

Caleb Monroe will become famous soon enoughCaleb Monroe will become famous soon enough

There are guidelines for somewhere upward of 80 comic conpanies on my Creator Service Page (link in sig). The ones with an "*" are publishers that will look at a writer's work without an atist attached.

Last edited by Caleb Monroe; 03-23-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Caleb Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #9
Atomicage1

Atomicage1 is on a distinguished road

You can also feel free to drop by the Ape Entertainment website a new set of submission guidelines went up last week.

APE ENTERTAINMENT SUBMISSION GUIDE LINES

Later!

GO APE!
Atomicage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #10
DannoE
Another wannabe

DannoE will become famous soon enough

I sent you an email.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

Awesome Storm Justice 41
Stray Voltage
MySpace

And now Bronx Angel on ComicSpace! Hooray!
DannoE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
damajackal

Is there any hope for finding anime companies that accept writer pitches?
Old 03-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #12
Caleb Monroe
That guy.

Caleb Monroe will become famous soon enoughCaleb Monroe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by damajackal
Is there any hope for finding anime companies that accept writer pitches?
If by "anime" you mean "manga":

-Antarctic Press
-eigoMANGA
-KAGE Productions
-Tokyopop
-Dark Horse accepts writer-only submissions and publishes manga, but I don't know if they publish original manga.
-Papercutz does manga-style versions of Zorro, Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. They take writing submissions, but not new pitches.

Links to all these publishers in the Creator Services link in my sig.

If you actually mean "anime," I think that's a pretty closed (and foreign) system. Do you speak Japanese or have any animation experience?

Last edited by Caleb Monroe; 03-23-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #13
Icaruss
The Masked Avenger

Icaruss is on a distinguished road

The Comic Creator Services that Belacab mentioned does have EVERY single company accepting submission. For writers, and artists.

Pretty freaking good.
Icaruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #14
Caleb Monroe
That guy.

Thanks, Icaruss. Everyone please be sure to let me know if you find any publishers I've omitted or come across any broken links, so I can keep the page as up-to-date as possible.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #15
Fred Duran
Master Lurker

Fred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to beholdFred Duran is a splendid one to behold

What about Vertigo? Someone said I should pitch Project E to Vertigo, and I went right to your blog and it wasn't there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kep!
Carry around a 12-pack of condoms and Gatorade at all times.
Fred Duran is offline   Reply With Quote