The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 03-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
F2B2

F2B2 is on a distinguished road

My first finished pencils.

Hello! I never posted work so it's the first time i'm posting something here.

These are pencils for a project that I worked on, haven't go into inks yet due to i want to buy some good brushes first but however, here they are.

Still have to work on doing cleaner pages. Any critique is well recieved!
F2B2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

cesare2009 will become famous soon enoughcesare2009 will become famous soon enough

some good stuff in there, but not ready for inks yet imho.

If you are uncertain when pencilling, you are going to make a mess inking.....

I would light box these pages and clean them up...not the smudges, the actual drawings.....

but you have a gift there....now you have to work hard to realize your potential
cesare2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

If you were passing these to an inker..... they would not be considered finished.
Very hard to make out certain details etc.

However, some of the panels looked very interesting, so keep posting more.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
F2B2

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I will!
Old 03-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
The Spirit
Meep Zorp!

The Spirit is a name known to allThe Spirit is a name known to allThe Spirit is a name known to allThe Spirit is a name known to allThe Spirit is a name known to allThe Spirit is a name known to allThe Spirit is a name known to allThe Spirit is a name known to all

Refine them a bit. Bring out details and they'll be good. The storytelling is allright.
The Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #6
F2B2

Thanks! Good to hear it's understandable
Old 03-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

yeah I think everyone else has said it.. but these aren't anywhere near what most comic artists consider "finished" pencils. they look like rough first drafts. more refining and detail is needed before they can be called finished. but we all still would like to see them done..so..show us when you do have it done.

rob
Old 03-22-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
F2B2

Thanks! I think I'll just redo them in a more confortable workspace in the future (for these the workspace was 6.6" x 10.25" on sketch paper, which was a bit tedious sometimes to be honest). I'll see how things go when I catch some good bristol 11x17 and see if it does bring a change.

But again, thanks!
Old 03-29-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

I like the style. If you are the inker these pages are Ok.
However you need to define some stuff on every panel before going to inks. This will spare you from mane redoes and corrections on the ink stage that are always awkward to do.
If somebody else is going to ink these pages, you definitely must to do a clean up and definition of elements on panel before passing the pages the inker.
Inkers are not guessers.
I could ink these pages as they are right now. But I would be forced to make adjustments of my own.
Right now, I see these pages as tentative sketches, not pages ready for inking.
Unless you are using some software as Manga Studio where you can work the inking and do erasing at the same time.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:35 AM   #10
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

My opinion is that you can do really rough pencils if you're confident in your inking, you know exactly what you want, and you can make sense of your pencils (sense you made them) even if others may have some difficulty. I never post work in progress pages, partially because... well, they're not done, and I think oftentimes many people wouldn't be able to make a whole lot of sense from them. I never lightbox anything. I mean, why go over the same thing more times than I have to, is my thinking.

That's just how I work, though. If I worked with someone else doing my inking, I'd work differently. But I don't even try to make my pencils look pretty, because I don't see the point, and I often leave whole figures and things undone in the pencil stage and I finish them up in inks. Many times I do pencils and inks at the same time. For example, I'll get my figures down, and ink them in, then I'll pencil the backgrounds in behind them, and I can erase and do whatever at my leisure without worrying about erasing the figures. So, I draw in layers quite often.

BUT, the thing with me, as I said, is that I don't post my pencil work as the OP has done
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #11
F2B2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbly View Post
I like the style. If you are the inker these pages are Ok.
However you need to define some stuff on every panel before going to inks. This will spare you from mane redoes and corrections on the ink stage that are always awkward to do.
If somebody else is going to ink these pages, you definitely must to do a clean up and definition of elements on panel before passing the pages the inker.
Inkers are not guessers.
I could ink these pages as they are right now. But I would be forced to make adjustments of my own.
Right now, I see these pages as tentative sketches, not pages ready for inking.
Unless you are using some software as Manga Studio where you can work the inking and do erasing at the same time.
Indeed! I was planning to do the inking myself, but now seeing them some days later I can see what you guys are saying. Originally I had planned to do digital inking and use photo references as backgrounds, but it digital inking didn't resulted as expected (i didn't feel it for some reason) and then left them there.

But again, thanks for the advice! Will try to keep them clean and understandable next time, I have recieved some great and clear feedback here.

Quote:
My opinion is that you can do really rough pencils if you're confident in your inking, you know exactly what you want, and you can make sense of your pencils (sense you made them) even if others may have some difficulty. I never post work in progress pages, partially because... well, they're not done, and I think oftentimes many people wouldn't be able to make a whole lot of sense from them. I never lightbox anything. I mean, why go over the same thing more times than I have to, is my thinking.

That's just how I work, though. If I worked with someone else doing my inking, I'd work differently. But I don't even try to make my pencils look pretty, because I don't see the point, and I often leave whole figures and things undone in the pencil stage and I finish them up in inks. Many times I do pencils and inks at the same time. For example, I'll get my figures down, and ink them in, then I'll pencil the backgrounds in behind them, and I can erase and do whatever at my leisure without worrying about erasing the figures. So, I draw in layers quite often.

BUT, the thing with me, as I said, is that I don't post my pencil work as the OP has done
That's an interesting way to work! I would try it but I feel like I first need to give myself the "ok" at the pencil stage before i would go to the inking. And also i want to focus more on the pencils, if I start focusing on the inking i'm afraid that I will be trying to be good at too many things and maybe loose the focus on what I really wanted.

Again, thanks to you both!