The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 04-21-2017, 03:35 AM   #1
nezotholem

nezotholem will become famous soon enoughnezotholem will become famous soon enough

All new x-men page sample

Hi,

My name is Romain Brun and I'm an french aspiring comic book artist.
In that thread, you will find a sample of 5 comic pages Iíve done as a MARVEL test based on an All New X-Men sample script.

I hope you will like it.
Cheers,
Romain

nezotholem is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 04:12 AM   #2
Scribbly
Easy reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

I like it. Yeehaw!
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
nezotholem

nezotholem will become famous soon enoughnezotholem will become famous soon enough

glad you dig it
Old 04-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
emmanuelxerxjavier

emmanuelxerxjavier has a spectacular aura aboutemmanuelxerxjavier has a spectacular aura about

wow, really action packed pages!. awesome!
emmanuelxerxjavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:38 AM   #5
MattTriano
Comics Artist

MattTriano has a spectacular aura aboutMattTriano has a spectacular aura about

These are good! Show these to publishers I think you'll get work (or more work).

Few small things: facial features float a bit, don't get why Pg 3 Pnl 2 exists nor where we are in pnls 3-5 on that page. Is it all happening on the grounds of a castle? Seems like a massive space, perhaps too big. I don't quite buy Pg 5 Pnl 5 background, feels small and flat. In general, more establishing and re-establishing of backgrounds with full figures.

Good shots, especially like the flying shot of Warren on 3 and the Miles v Doom sequence on 4-5. Great movement and kinetic action.

It would be good to do another sample or two with different tones, that take place at different times and different places and the locations need to be as important a character in the storytelling as the people. Characters should frequently and in as many ways as possible interact with environment eg under, over, through (stairs, tunnels, doorways) and while navigating those environments interact with objects, walls, one another to demonstrate a wide range of skills. Write something wordless with favored characters doing things you want to draw and try to do each sample (5-7 pages) relatively quickly.

Again this is really nice work! Keep going.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:50 AM   #6
nezotholem

Hi Matt,

Thanks for you very kind comments and for all your advices.
I got the script directly from Marvel as a first test and it's true the script don't really give informations about the background. Just around the castle of Doom. But you're right about the background and specially the last panel which seems a bit flat. I will take care about all of your advices for my next pages.

Do you really think that some publishers could be interested seing my pages? Right now, I got no answer from Marvel (but the process can take time I imagine) and I don't really know which publishers accept submission. I got no answer from Valiant too. I should try some others or just my pages are not good enough for now.

Cheers,
Romain
Old 04-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
MattTriano
Comics Artist

MattTriano has a spectacular aura aboutMattTriano has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezotholem View Post
I got the script directly from Marvel as a first test and it's true the script don't really give informations about the background. Just around the castle of Doom. But you're right about the background and specially the last panel which seems a bit flat. I will take care about all of your advices for my next pages.
Oh cool! Did you get it from an editor at a con?

It may be a few pages of script culled from a published issue or a sample script expressly for tryouts, do you know which? They may want to see what you do with it, so the language is expressly indistinct re: setting and what happens in it. Some sample scripts are better than others as well.

Quote:
Do you really think that some publishers could be interested seing my pages? Right now, I got no answer from Marvel (but the process can take time I imagine) and I don't really know which publishers accept submission. I got no answer from Valiant too. I should try some others or just my pages are not good enough for now.
Yeah you're good. It takes time, you may not be quite ready yet AND you may not have found an editor who likes your stuff enough to provide you a little gig and see how you do. All possible at once.

It's very hard today to get in at Marvel/DC and begin a career; the process is closed and there is a much higher demand from amateurs who want to be pros than ever before. They're wary, makes some sense. Too wary in my opinion.

Did you do a Valiant sample at their request? How did you submit it? Companies like to see their characters in submissions, if you really want to work with Valiant you may want to do a sample using one of their IPs.

Make sure you feel as though your samples display a wide range of your skills and that all the skills on offer are indicative of your best (and timely) efforts. An editor expects that every decision, every mark on the page has been made purposefully. Goal is to make that first, second, third, eighth impression count. Don't be too discouraged by rejection or silence; again you're on your way. These are good. You'll be working soon I think.

Go to conventions, post work online weekly on multiple social media sites, keep correspondences up. Keep going!
Old 04-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
Grimspeare

Grimspeare is on a distinguished road

You could also try submitting to a smaller publisher at first, or you try something creator owned to get your name out there.

G
Grimspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:10 PM   #9
Orlan29

Orlan29 will become famous soon enough

Great samples!

Very nice action pages! alot of establishing shots with buildings and explosions very nice to look at

Hope to see more

Orlando
Orlan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:33 AM   #10
Lord Fejj
Be water my friend...

Lord Fejj has much to be proud ofLord Fejj has much to be proud ofLord Fejj has much to be proud ofLord Fejj has much to be proud ofLord Fejj has much to be proud ofLord Fejj has much to be proud ofLord Fejj has much to be proud ofLord Fejj has much to be proud ofLord Fejj has much to be proud ofLord Fejj has much to be proud ofLord Fejj has much to be proud of

Really nice! I think Dr Doom is a little skinny tho.
Lord Fejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #11
dadams595

dadams595 is a jewel in the roughdadams595 is a jewel in the roughdadams595 is a jewel in the roughdadams595 is a jewel in the rough

I'd buy this book based on the art alone!!
dadams595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:02 AM   #12
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Love the amount of movement that you create.
Very cool.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:30 AM   #13
nezotholem

Thanks for all the kind comments