Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-31-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

To Mix or Not To Mix

After 3 years of planning (and getting other work done first), this fall my illustrated (and of course written) non-fiction project will git along doggie... Question: when it comes to non-fiction, do you think it's better to keep fictional characters out of it? I've got tons and tons of non-fiction books in my library - encyclopedias (♥ ♥), how-to books, gardening books, how to raise chickens (not mine), political history (haven't read them, yet), and all of them are on the straight and narrow.

So that tells me maybe I should do the same.

But there are other books that are mighty cool (albeit less successful) like "Logo, Font and Lettering Bible"; I've no intent on learning that but it's just a gorgeous book with a delightful sense of humor. Then I've got a fiction book with a non-fiction thread running through it. There are others too, of course.

And then there is layout. The thought alone makes me cry... Thoughts? Is it stupid? My goal is to use this to learn to be a better illustrator, and to understand books themselves better because this isn't intended to be a one-time thing.

Strict fiction and strict non-fiction, or a hot date between the two? Many thanks in advance for anyone's time... ♥

Over 50 and still nifty.
Ingrid K. V. Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

I'd say it depends on the story you want to tell. I enjoy historical fiction where the events are true, and the characters are not, or some characters are actual people (but maybe doing things they didn't actually do). Robert Masello is great at this, blending historical figures into crazy sci-fistories.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Strict non fiction is kind of dry. Unless you are working a documentary.
A mix with fictional characters supporting real characters is better.

Example, Winston Churchill, a real character.
For making a novel o movie about his life you may need some fictional "supporting" characters mixed with real characters to get it done.
A cooking book? Maybe not.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

Oooooo... a non-fiction/fiction cookbook....

Mine is (for this one) a book on the history of a particular breed of horse. And of course the history itself touches on other things as well, briefly.

Over 50 and still nifty.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #5
B-McKinley

B-McKinley has a spectacular aura aboutB-McKinley has a spectacular aura aboutB-McKinley has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingrid K. V. Hardy View Post
Oooooo... a non-fiction/fiction cookbook....
Sort of an actual thing in manga. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the...4-12-13/.81989

And food manga is probably a decent answer to how you can intertwine non-fiction content with a fictional narrative. You might also check out the book/podcast of Shawn Coyne's Story Grid. His opinion is that the best non-fiction uses the same narrative structures as fiction.
B-McKinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #6
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Will definitely give the podcast a listen! Those cookbook manga things... I had no idea they existed.

Over 50 and still nifty.