The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 05-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
dead_cowboy

dead_cowboy is on a distinguished road

Multiple translated languages in the same scene

Greetings,
I'm having trouble in a few scenes with characters of two or three different nationalities speaking in their native languages. Obviously, the usual method is to place the speech in <angle brackets> and a star (*) footnote with "*Translated from x" "**Translated from y" and so on. But, there are a couple of later scenes wherein I return to those same characters and it is not clear if they have switched languages, as some of them are multilingual.

So, two questions:

1.) In your opinion, is it customary to place a star (*) footnote every single time we open a new scene with a character that isn't speaking English, or is the first time I introduce them enough, as the reader will undoubtedly remember that they don't speak English?

2.) What about the fact that some of the characters may be switching languages, even mid-conversation? Is it enough to allow the reader to infer from context clues in the dialogue?

I'm just looking for input. Thank you all in advance.
dead_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

If you're going to have a character speaking Spanish all the way through, then I think it's enough to footnote it the first time, then you don't have to footnote it every page... but if you have a character that switches languages, and could be speaking something else in any given page or panel... then I think you're going to have to footnote each page or how would the readers know?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
Scribbly
Easy reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Close captions on bottom of each panel?
Or the character starting with some words on his first languaje switching immediately to English.
-Comprende my friend?
-Sacre bleu! You are amazing!

Last edited by Scribbly; 05-27-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote