The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Writer Showcase

Old 08-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

[Info] Posting on Scripts

This is not a forum guideline. This is something that I've found to be pretty helpful when I go through a script. Feel free to either use it or ignore it, as the case may be.

At the end of every script, I usually talk about five key elements. I've found that these are the things that every script has and needs to be talked about. This is in addition to any other comments I make on the script. Call it a summary.

1. Format: I'm not talking much about any type of "standard" format as much as I'm talking about an internal consistency.

2. Panel Descriptions: Can they be drawn? Are there moving panels? Is a camera angle given or needed? Is the writer effectively getting their message across?

3. Pacing: Is there too much going on, or not enough? Is there padding in the script? Can things be condensed and still make sense? Are things too condensed and a panel or two needs to be added in order to make it better?

4. Dialogue: Does it sound natural? Is there too much of it or too little?

5. Content: Would a reader pick this up? What do you think their reaction would be?

Hope this helps.
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
Comics Commando

Comics Commando has a spectacular aura aboutComics Commando has a spectacular aura about

All good points, Steven...I also look at where the story was on page one and where it is on page 22 (or whatever the last page is)...is there enough story? Does enough happen to justify 22 pages? This relates to pace. If you can distill the story to three sentences, for instance, I think not enough is happening. It's gonna feel too padded. Many comics are part of an overall story arc--but if the part I'm reading tells little story, I get bored.

I also see too many newbies doing what I call "underwriting"---terse dialogue that doesn't explain enough story to acclimate the reader to the main story questions: who, where, how what, when. A balloon here--a balloon there--many skipped panels with no balloons at all. If I can read your comic in under 10 minutes, I'm not getting enough bang for my buck. Look at each page--ask yourself, "What will the reader learn on this page?" Ask yourself if the story moves forward with every scene.

Kurt Hathaway
---------------------------------
Cartoon Balloons Studio
www.cartoon-balloons.com
Comics Commando is offline   Reply With Quote