Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
Ted-Oni

Ted-Oni is on a distinguished road

Handling multiple issues question

Hey all,

Iíve got a question. Iíve got an IP that is far too complicated for just a single graphic novel, so Iíd like to find out the best way to handle doing it as issues. It could be a single graphic novel, but it would either be enormous or very condensed and lose a lot of the punch the story can deliver.
The story is pretty linear. Thing that sets the journey in motion and then the journey ends in spectacular fashion. In between is where you not only learn about the protagonist, but see that her journey is important than just for her. Thatís why I said it is too complicated for a single graphic novel. It would be like grabbing The lord of the rings trilogy and cutting out most of the stuff that went on. Sure, you have the start and finish, but the impact of the journey is gone.

So how do I handle this? The journey isnít really linearly told. There isnít going to be a lot of referencing of things. Once her traveling companion shows up, things would become more linear, but before then, not so much. My writing style needs visuals. I could cram in action, but frankly, I wouldnít want to read it. I see this in my head as a movie and I want people to see what I see, so when she flips a guy over, I want to show how she did it, what the exact flip looks like. Is it an aikido flip, a BJJ flip. People that donít know fighting arenít going to get it and I want people to go DAAAAAAMN when it happens.
Back to the question. How do I handle something like this? Do I go for multiple issues at once? Do I do one issue at a time and release it over time? Do I do something like Kickstarter or indiegogo where I would do issues as fundraising benchmarks?

What do you all think?
Ted-Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

I'm confused by your question. People do multi-issue series all the time. It is really more about your writing, I think. You need to plan to have a logical ending points in the first books that will make people want to pick up the second and so forth. Be organized and break down your story ahead of time. You have to know what the break point is for issue one and plan your story beats to lead up to that. It takes some work, and will require you to really think about your story structure, but it can be done.

Or, just do a bigger single graphic novel. Even then, though, you need to have a solid plan for your story and its progression.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
Ted-Oni

Ted-Oni is on a distinguished road

Each issue would be a self contained ďadventureĒ minus any issues that are two or three parters. Those would of course have break points set up.

My question was more about how to court artists. Should I do one at a time or multiple issues at a time in order to do the whole series in one fell swoop with multiple artists.

The reason I am asking this is because I have had multiple projects stall that weíre going forward and ended up losing money and time and being unable to use anything created. If I have multiple issues being done and one of 4 or 5 stalls, the others can still progress since each one is self contained.

Does that make more sense now?
Ted-Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #4
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

I guess you should first work to get the full script done. All the answers to your questions would come right out from it.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #5
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

If each issue is a self contained adventure, just do one at a time.
Comics get different artists all the time.
Just have a basic character sheet set out for all the major players, so the artists will have something to refer back to.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote