Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 11-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
Dfbovey
Hatch-o-holic in Reform

Dfbovey is a jewel in the roughDfbovey is a jewel in the roughDfbovey is a jewel in the rough

Valkyrie

Working on a mythology coffee table art book. This is the latest addition to it. Valkyrie leading the fallen to Valhalla.

Dfbovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
artman

artman is on a distinguished road

this is very nice work, my problem is the linework used to define the horse's muscles is the same as the linework used for the clouds. the cloud lines should be different. the lines used for the woman's hair and the horsehair is beautiful but exactly the same. the textures should be different. the horse hair should be rougher, less elegant. also, the lightening does not quite read like lightening, reference photos because perhaps the lines should be thinner and more jagged. the shield does not look like metal. metal is a reflective material.
artman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
Dfbovey
Hatch-o-holic in Reform

Dfbovey is a jewel in the roughDfbovey is a jewel in the roughDfbovey is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the input. I tend to use hatching for values on everything and agree that sometimes the textures can sometimes get lost. For example, the shield is supposed to look more like you'd expect in Norse or Viking type weaponry. Mix of woods and metals. Not supposed to be shiny.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Beautiful work, as always, Bovey! I think most of the crib's Atman mention can/will be resolved in the colors. The coloring will push and pull the elements to make them more easily discernible. I always enjoy the energy and detail you put into your work!
Old 11-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Dfbovey
Hatch-o-holic in Reform

Thanks Bishop, always a pleasure! The colors will definitely be important to this piece. I tried to balance the line between rendering and leaving some room for the colorist to play and do their thing. Maybe went a little overboard with the clouds but that's the Alfredo Alcala in me.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
DCdraw

DCdraw is on a distinguished road

Yeah that's pretty epic. I feel like there's something wonky with the shield where the Norse symbol doesn't match the contours of the shield or it's not entirely laid out in the same perspective as the shield. And yeah, the rendering is really good(right side of the pic is like Rudy Nebres-level of inking) but the lighting is actually inconsistent throughout and especially on the Valkyrie herself.
DCdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
SageGod
Shinigami

SageGod will become famous soon enoughSageGod will become famous soon enough

Nice work! Looks like she is being thrown from the horse though.
SageGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #8
salvador raga

salvador raga has a spectacular aura aboutsalvador raga has a spectacular aura about

Cool

Love it, excellent work. I like to see this one in color!
salvador raga is offline   Reply With Quote