Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #11
Renae De Liz
Art Wench

Renae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to beholdRenae De Liz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClayMoore View Post
The things you stumble over on a slow Saturday night.

Interesting thread, with some strangely bitter posts that are essentially chastising people for paying for something they want to own.

One thing I'd like to address...the idea that funding print versions of online material is some kind of scam is absurd.

Give you a good example:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...editi?ref=live

This was an awesome online strip that Ryan had paid out of pocket to produce a tiny print run of, but he couldn't find anyone willing to publish the book without essentially robbing him blind. He wanted a physical book to sell, but couldn't fund it on his own. So he reworked the hell out of the strip, spent tons of unpaid time writing new material, and used his "connections" to get help with pin-ups and backup stories.

And he broke the bank, essentially demonstrating that the market knows more than most publishers do.

Here's the Kickstarter we ran for BAD KARMA:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badkarma/bad-karma

We raised that money on faith alone, really, since we had precious little material finished when we launched the campaign. I'm a full-time professional comic book writer, Jeremy is a full-time professional comic book artist and writer, Alex is a full-time (NY Times best-selling) novelist and comic book writer, and Seth is a part-time professional comic book writer. People are willing to support a new project from us partly because they trust us based on work we've done in the past. But we wanted to do a project we had complete ownership and control over, in a (really) nice edition for the shelves of readers. Kickstarter was our best shot at doing so.

-BCM
Hey B. Clay!

Thanks for posting in here! I'm so happy about your Kickstarter's success! Do you have some pointers for people? I'm sure they'd love to hear them!

CMcCormick: I haven't forgotten about you! I have a bunch of stuff to say about the campaign, just haven't had time to write it all down! Will try to tomorrow!

Creator-Owned Title PETER PAN
Project Manager of Womanthology

Other: Vertigo, Archie, IDW,
Renae De Liz is offline   Reply With Quote