The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 01-09-2006, 11:16 PM   #16
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

Jason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadarwin
quick question...

When you BOLD or Italicize...do you include the punctuation in it?
I usually follow the writer's instructions on this. If they have it in bold then I have it in bold. Otherwise I'd do the following in bold: ! ? ...
but not periods or commas.

-- J
Jason Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:36 AM   #17
Kep!
Mad Genius

Location: Ok, maybe just a little ticked off, not actually mad.
Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

Unless the writer says NOT to, I do include the punctuation with it. Historically it goes both ways, but I believe it looks and reads better that way.
Kep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:36 AM   #18
Amadarwin
Fingerpaints Fonts

Amadarwin is a glorious beacon of lightAmadarwin is a glorious beacon of lightAmadarwin is a glorious beacon of lightAmadarwin is a glorious beacon of lightAmadarwin is a glorious beacon of lightAmadarwin is a glorious beacon of lightAmadarwin is a glorious beacon of light

I agree that it looks better. It always felt wrong to me that if the last word of a sentence is bolded or italicized, the following punctuation should also be...

Never ocurred to me until recently to think to ask...

thanks guys.
Amadarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:42 AM   #19
raya

raya has disabled reputation

I thought I should let everyone know that you can open Word documents, and some other text documents, in Illustrator CS (but don't get CS2, wait for an upgrade!). And it doesn't seem to change any of the formatting.
raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:14 AM   #20
Kep!
Mad Genius

Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

True, but have you had any luck opening up anything as long as a script?
Old 01-20-2006, 03:47 AM   #21
raya

raya has disabled reputation

LOL!

Well, I have a Mac so it may be different from a PC, but I just save each page, and I have an external drive so I don't have to worry about memory. But that's true, if you don't have much memory, it might not be a good thing. Of course, Microsoft Office used to make my Mac crash, so I would take Illustrator any day!
raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:36 AM   #22
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

Jason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of light

While we're on the topic...

Just thought I should tell you guys about a little timesaver.

When you get a script, most of the time the writer has written everything in one of three ways: Sentence Case (capital letters at the start of sentences and capital I's for pronouns), all Uppercase, or all Lowercase.

Now, none of those are perfectly ideal for lettering, so what I do is switch everything to lowercase (in Word) then I choose to REPLACE (located under edit). It now asks what I want to replace. Type in a lowercase "i" followed by a single space. Then in the box below where it asks you what to replace it with type a capital "I" followed by a single space. Choose: replace all.

Repeat this process for other common pronoun I uses: i' , i- , i... (replacing each lowercase "i" with a crossbar/capital I).

hope this is helpful to some of you (though I know it's old news for you old hands at this).

-- J

Last edited by JasonArthur; 01-20-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:03 PM   #23
Comics Commando

Comics Commando has a spectacular aura aboutComics Commando has a spectacular aura about

Bold and punctuation

When you BOLD or Italicize...do you include the punctuation in it?>>

------------

Yes, with exclamation points and question marks. Bold is generally italics also, so it looks funny if the ! or ? isn't italic as well. I guess the word could be bold and the ! or ? just italic (if the bold is also italically slanted)

I don't worry about periods (what's an italic period look like? -- a period).

I took my cue from the old classics I was studying before I went pro--Rosen and Simek from Marvel--they used bold punctuation when used at the end of bolded words.

Kurt Hathaway
Cartoon Balloons Studios

How do I get one'a them pictures under my username in these posts? tell me at: khathaway1@socal.rr.com
Comics Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #24
Aaron Wilder
Bacon Maker

Aaron Wilder will become famous soon enough

I'm a writer and all of my dialogue is typed in all caps with the old school parenthetical descriptions after the character speaking.

KEP! (SCREAMING): WHY DO YOU INSIST ON USING ALL CAPS?!?
WILDER (MUMBLING): BECAUSE THAT'S HOW I'M USED TO DOING IT...

How much of a nightmare is it to letter an all caps guy like myself?

My Blog
project blog

On Twitter
@aaronwildercomx
Aaron Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #25
Kep!
Mad Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wilder
I'm a writer and all of my dialogue is typed in all caps with the old school parenthetical descriptions after the character speaking.

KEP! (SCREAMING): WHY DO YOU INSIST ON USING ALL CAPS?!?
WILDER (MUMBLING): BECAUSE THAT'S HOW I'M USED TO DOING IT...

Terrible...assuming you want the lettering done correctly.

Seriously, it takes a little work to "fix" it so all caps works with the fonts and their alternate sets (the letter I is a bitch no matter what), but macros make it easy once you know how to program them.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #26
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

Yeah, I just hit a button in Open Office to run my macro to "fix" the script. After that it's cake.

-- J
Old 02-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #27
vartemis
Onomonopiaphile

vartemis is a jewel in the roughvartemis is a jewel in the roughvartemis is a jewel in the roughvartemis is a jewel in the rough

And for those who use Word, its "CTR+A", then hit "ALT, E, O, L, ENTER" to change it all to lower case quickly.

j
vartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #28
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wilder
Not as much of a nightmare as it is to meet a script that says this:

"Itís just a white background with just one word in the centre. Itís not a large sized word. Imagine that someone is gently waking you up by saying your name. Thatís the size I want."*

Oh ... Five point, then! Why didn't you just say so?

Cheers

Jim

* Direct quotation, folks ...
JimCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #29
theflash
Cary Kelley

theflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCampbell
Not as much of a nightmare as it is to meet a script that says this:

"Itís just a white background with just one word in the centre. Itís not a large sized word. Imagine that someone is gently waking you up by saying your name. Thatís the size I want."*

Oh ... Five point, then! Why didn't you just say so?

Cheers

Jim

* Direct quotation, folks ...
i wish i had room in my sig for that. fucking hilarious!

The Dynagirl Webcomic is FREE!
Red Handed Studios! l Blog
theflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #30
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

Single panel, middle of a row of three, one-sixth of the page.

Three speakers. Nine balloons and one caption. One hundred and fifty words.

Do I win a prize?

Cheers!

Jim
JimCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote