The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 06-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

Exclamation Quick Refrence Lettering Guide by Kep!

I remember when Kep! posted this guide and to this day I still use it as a cheat sheet.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:38 AM   #2
Thomas Mauer
Letterer & Designer

Thomas Mauer will become famous soon enough

Good thinking to sticky this. Answers many basic questions.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:29 AM   #3
superggraphics

superggraphics will become famous soon enoughsuperggraphics will become famous soon enough

This was fine for reference pre the digital printing era, but if you strictly adhered to these guidelines now, you probably would be asking for trouble, especially since the guidelines don't address the issue of greyscale wash work versus line art, not to mention the digital printers technical specs which vary from Ka-Blam to Greko Printing et al... G
superggraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Kep!
Mad Genius

Location: Ok, maybe just a little ticked off, not actually mad.
Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

This was definitely composed for digital printing, but it was not done for the weird RGB printers that have risen up since. So you're correct. RGB printing is, to the best of my knowledge, limited to very few printers, none of which are utilized by the larger companies (which is who I was working for when this was developed). THAT said, if you have any additions you'd like to add, I'd be happy to update this as it is still a very solid reference.

As to Grayscale vs Line art, there is some amount of professional aptitude that needs to be applied...a one-sheeter simply can't cover it all. HOWEVER, I should point out that Adobe has changed it's algorithms, and to make the scanning recipe work you MUST use LEGACY.

Thank YOU for the feedback!
Kep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
Comics Commando

Comics Commando has a spectacular aura aboutComics Commando has a spectacular aura about

Nice job, Kep!

I made a multi-page PDF guide regarding explaining the bleed vs. live area concerns for print books awhile back and decided to distill the pertinent points into a one-page guide.

It's more for artists than for letterers, but letterers may certainly learn something. If nothing else, it's a good thing to pass along to any artist friends.

Anyone can grab it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/76...de__2014__.zip

I also wrote a guide to script format--again, not necessarily for letterers, but they may learn something, too.

Get that here:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/dg4cdb...101_2011__.pdf

Kurt Hathaway
Cartoon Balloons Studio

khathawayart@gmail.com
Comics Commando is offline   Reply With Quote