The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Project Showcase

Old 04-17-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
Sully

Sully will become famous soon enoughSully will become famous soon enough

Odie

I've been up to a lot since you've last seen me around.

This is my comic, Odie. With art by Elli Puukangas and colors by Karoliina Hankonen. I connected with these artists through Twitter while looking around for anthologies to submit to. What you're actually looking at is a rejected anthology pitch, reworked, expanded, and improved to be the comic you see here today!

Odie is a small dog with a big heart on a long journey home. He's armed with only his bravery and his cunning, and will do whatever it takes to make it back to the family that he loves! But he's old. Odie's mind isn't quite what it used to be, and many challenges lay between him and his sanctuary.

The rules of the universe are classic Disney. The animals can talk. The animals can talk to each other. But the animals and the humans cannot understand one another. The animals have some sense of what's going on in the world, but everything is from their own perspective.

Working with these artists has been a dream and I just wanted to share some of what they've done. It's on Kickstarter right now (link), and I really think we're onto something.

Because Odie isn't just a cutesy animal story, it's a foil. This comic mirrors Homer's Odyssey, and the events in the story make reference to the original in the same vein as O Brother Where Art Thou. If it's successful, we want to give the same treatment to many more classic literary tales! (I've already got a few lined up!)

I also got to do a print for this story with Jillian Altmeyer! The creator of Unicorgi. When I do multiple prints, or variant covers, or anything like that... I always like to choose a very different vibe. Since the print that Elli and Karoliina had already made was very serious, I wanted a lighter, cartoonish tone. For those who don't know, Jillian is the creator of Unicorgi.

Anyways! I hope you appreciate the art. We're really excited to be bringing this project to the public. Any questions, comments, or requests; just let me know!

Thanks,
Aaron
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
Sully

Whoops! These sizes are BORKED. One minute, guys.

EDIT: There we go!
Old 04-19-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
roboletters
Comic Book Letterer

roboletters is on a distinguished road

This looks amazing!
Best of luck with the Kickstarter
roboletters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
Sully

Thanks, man! It's nerve wracking but I have high hopes!