Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
splicer
artstation.com/splicer
 
splicer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18
splicer is on a distinguished road

Comic Book Lineart

Want to share my comic book lineart here...

















Trying to find my style with the lineart. For coloring, I have it where I want. So any feedback on the appeal of the lineart, characters, ect is appreciated!
splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
artman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 299
artman is on a distinguished road

You have a lot of good stuff going on here. Pay more attention to line weights and work on your anatomy more. Your base drawing is important. My suggestion is use reference, it looks as if you're drawing from your head which works sometimes but the figures are not consistent. You should use every tool like drawing from your head, 3d models digital and real, reference, ect. You have a great sense of detail without it looking confused. Nice work.
artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Nowheresville, New Zealand
Posts: 6,245
sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

What Artman said.

PLUS, digging the bike designs.
__________________
Have a look at all my other work.... you won't regret it.
Well you might, but do it anyway!

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
splicer
artstation.com/splicer
 
splicer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18
splicer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses guys. Glad you like these and thank you for the critiques.

Will post some new stuff soon, really want to lock in a style and the advice helps!

I can feel with my anatomy studies it is getting easier. Also I do use photos and 3D!

Think I just need to sit down and draw draw draw!
splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
splicer
artstation.com/splicer
 
splicer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18
splicer is on a distinguished road

Here is the 3D underlay I used for the hover bike piece.



This is just for the forms. Then I used this for the lighting reference. Though I could have done better on my shader, not getting any global illumination. Using the built in DAZ rendered, and I still am not that great with it. Next time I may export to a different rendered if I can't get a good result with the built in.



And here is the final finished piece.



Will post some of my anatomy studies later. I think the trick for me, personally is to keep drawing. I have periods where I won't draw for a week or more, and this feels like it hinders my progress everytime it happens. Any tips for forcing yourself to draw EVERYDAY? No matter what. I think that will help.
splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
artman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 299
artman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by splicer View Post
Here is the 3D underlay I used for the hover bike piece.



This is just for the forms. Then I used this for the lighting reference. Though I could have done better on my shader, not getting any global illumination. Using the built in DAZ rendered, and I still am not that great with it. Next time I may export to a different rendered if I can't get a good result with the built in.



And here is the final finished piece.



Will post some of my anatomy studies later. I think the trick for me, personally is to keep drawing. I have periods where I won't draw for a week or more, and this feels like it hinders my progress everytime it happens. Any tips for forcing yourself to draw EVERYDAY? No matter what. I think that will help.
This is impressive work and it's great how you posted your workflow. Great use of tools to give your work a great foundation and then a great final work with your strong finishing skills. There are things to nitpick on but this is such a radical upgrade, all you have to do is keep going. I understand the motivation thing, as artists, some of us only draw when we feel it but the great ones just put in hours like it's a job. I bet Jim Lee works monster hours, Jack Kirby was basically a workaholic. Steranko and Adams drew comics while working full time in advertising. Give yourself an assignment, draw buildings, draw from movie stills, reference, ect., and finish each piece. The challenge of drawing something different each time may engage you and hold your interest.
artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 636
cesare2009 will become famous soon enoughcesare2009 will become famous soon enough

thanks for posting the process, I use a similar workflow, though I am not overly concerned with the final render

Lighting is important, it helps to establish the primary and key but a general idea is all I need usually.

The art and details u create over the forms is outstanding!
cesare2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:35 PM   #8
Artloader
Registered User
 
Artloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: England
Posts: 373
Artloader is on a distinguished road

Hey Splicer, nice work here, great use of 3D to get the shadow shapes right. Nice paint job in the end as well .
__________________
“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.
Artloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
zombievoodoo1976
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 11
zombievoodoo1976 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by artman View Post
You have a lot of good stuff going on here. Pay more attention to line weights and work on your anatomy more. Your base drawing is important. My suggestion is use reference, it looks as if you're drawing from your head which works sometimes but the figures are not consistent. You should use every tool like drawing from your head, 3d models digital and real, reference, ect. You have a great sense of detail
without it looking confused. Nice work.
One should be able to draw from the imagination and reference only used if absolutely necessary...3D models and digital art usually done by someone else and again it leads to the piling of not only the reference's faults but of the artist using it..live models are the best for use of anatomy and posing etc...copying others faulty work is NOT the way to grow.
zombievoodoo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #10
splicer
artstation.com/splicer
 
splicer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18
splicer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by artman View Post
This is impressive work and it's great how you posted your workflow. Great use of tools to give your work a great foundation and then a great final work with your strong finishing skills. There are things to nitpick on but this is such a radical upgrade, all you have to do is keep going. I understand the motivation thing, as artists, some of us only draw when we feel it but the great ones just put in hours like it's a job. I bet Jim Lee works monster hours, Jack Kirby was basically a workaholic. Steranko and Adams drew comics while working full time in advertising. Give yourself an assignment, draw buildings, draw from movie stills, reference, ect., and finish each piece. The challenge of drawing something different each time may engage you and hold your interest.
Thanks Artman, good to know you find the WIP useful. I notice the more I use the 3D mockups the better I get. I usually always start with a crude 2D thumbnail that is poorly drawn but gives quick idea of what I'm going for. You are right about putting the time in. I would argue if you do it right, then it will be all you want to do. Nothing more exciting than seeing improvement in your own work. It feels similar to working out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cesare2009 View Post
thanks for posting the process, I use a similar workflow, though I am not overly concerned with the final render

Lighting is important, it helps to establish the primary and key but a general idea is all I need usually.

The art and details u create over the forms is outstanding!
Thank you Cesare!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Artloader View Post
Hey Splicer, nice work here, great use of 3D to get the shadow shapes right. Nice paint job in the end as well .
Glad you like my work flow Art!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombievoodoo1976 View Post
One should be able to draw from the imagination and reference only used if absolutely necessary...3D models and digital art usually done by someone else and again it leads to the piling of not only the reference's faults but of the artist using it..live models are the best for use of anatomy and posing etc...copying others faulty work is NOT the way to grow.

Zombie I think it depends on what you're drawing. I know schools of thought that you should always use reference and use it as much as possible. Maybe if you have a very stylized style and draw a certain thing you don't see a need for using reference. I would argue even with that though you should be using reference as much as possible.
splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #11
Bishop
Registered User
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kholinar, Alethkar
Posts: 6,221
Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Splicer - That is a really nice image you worked up there. I'm usually not fan of Poser/3D posed art, but your result here is outstanding.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zombievoodoo1976 View Post
One should be able to draw from the imagination and reference only used if absolutely necessary.....copying others faulty work is NOT the way to grow.
This is BS, and only shows you don't understand what you are talking about. Reference is critical. Any professional illustrator, comic or otherwise, will tell you the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombievoodoo1976 View Post
...copying others faulty work is NOT the way to grow.
This I can agree with, but I don't think that is what Splicer did here.
__________________
"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous." -Anonymous
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1997-2015 Digital Webbing, LLC