The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 02-08-2018, 12:31 AM   #1
Fenris

Fenris is on a distinguished road

New Author In need of guidance

I've had a story that I wanted to make a comic for long time. The problem is, I'm not sure how to start it. One of the two main protagonists has a pretty routine background, but it is fundamental to the story. Should I spend an issue on something that has been done to death (seat of power being usurped) or begin in media res? I'm leaning toward media res with dialog, but kind of want to avoid lengthy dialog. How would you handle it?

I have about 4 good stories in mind each being a 4-6 issue mini series. I just don't want to botch it up front. Thanks in advance
Fenris is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

Short answer: Comicbooks (as you know) is a visual tool. Unless the reader is visually invested in your storytelling. Your character building doesn't matter.

Get right to the storytelling.
P.B.DeBerry is a writer/letterer of words, soup enthusiast in Massachusetts with a talent for over thinking. This bio took him five hours to write. You can read more from P.B. at.. fisticuffswriting.com
paul brian deberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:37 AM   #3
JoeValentineArt

JoeValentineArt is on a distinguished road

I can't say I'm familiar with creative writing, but for my Thesis the professor recommended I just put everything down as the ideas come, then go back and edit after everything you can get down is down. Don't bother with trying to put it all in order from step 1 or by the time you get started you'll not want to do it. This was the best advice I've gotten and it has helped me tremendously.

This does require editing afterwards, checking for repetition, verifying sources, making sure the thoughts are coherent, but it might work the same for comic writing. What is the worst thing that happens? you have most of your story written and wait til the end to make your start? If nothing else works, give this a shot.
JoeValentineArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
Bulletboy-Redux
Rex Dart: Eskimo Spy

Bulletboy-Redux will become famous soon enoughBulletboy-Redux will become famous soon enough

First and foremost you want to give the reader a compelling set-up for a plot and at least one interesting character to make them feel invested in the story. Until the reader is invested, nothing else matters. Keep things simple at first and gradually increase the complexity from there.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quote:
New Author In need of guidance

I've had a story that I wanted to make a comic for long time. The problem is, I'm not sure how to start it. One of the two main protagonists has a pretty routine background, but it is fundamental to the story. Should I spend an issue on something that has been done to death (seat of power being usurped) or begin in media res? I'm leaning toward media res with dialog, but kind of want to avoid lengthy dialog. How would you handle it?

I have about 4 good stories in mind each being a 4-6 issue mini series. I just don't want to botch it up front. Thanks in advance
From what I know, each story has 3 main characters. The hero, the victim and the villain. The big duel is between hero and villain. The victim is a collateral. The villain is always bigger and powerful than the hero. Everybody in-between is a trope or cliché that can be used in favor of the hero or his antagonist. Knowing what your hero want, knowing what your villain want, lets them fight. Probably both want to have the same thing. Or the very opposite thing.(You decide)

You have a protagonist who has a pretty routine background. OK. What could be the worst thing for him to happen? Somebody breaking his peace, destroying his routine. Somebody nasty enough to make him lost his nerve and start an unequal fight.
How to get there? Showing your hero acting on his beloved routine and showing some personality facts that would make the audience root for him. From there, everything goes bananas....until the end. For avoiding lenghty dialogue what do you use? ACTION. Show what the bad guy does to the good guy or the subjects of his interest. Show, don't tell. IMHO.