Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Project Showcase > Kickstarter

Old 05-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
davidj28

davidj28 is on a distinguished road

Vampires of Hungary- Feedback

So my Vampires of Hungary: Holy Roman Empire comic campaign has finally ended and it wasn’t successful. So rather than dwell on the past I want to move forward so I’m looking at how else to get the story published. Therefore I'm seeking feedback on the comic and campaign to see what needs changing before I decide my next move with regards the project. Even if you didn't see the project if you can check it out (see below link) and let me know what you think went wrong that would be a big help. Thanks for everyone’s support in making this project even get this far.
David Jenkins

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=user_menu
davidj28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

This thing, your story is only getting published if you do the legwork. Go to a convention. Get to social media and be engaging. Start a webcomic or webpage and make that your 24/7 life.

Art seems alright. Writing works. Lettering needs to be redone.

The Kickstarter failed for a lot of reasons.

I'm not going to give you a hard time about your video. Those are tough and you get a pass. Try narrating over the art and then show your face at the end.

I came across your Kickstarter. I liked the logo. Unfortunately, it failed my skim test. Normally, I will read or skim over the about (art) and if that interests me, I will watch the video. If you keep my interest, then I will look over the pledges.

1. Goal
2. About/Art
3. Video
4. Pledge

You have to check off three out of four. To engage me to spend my money. You got none. Keep in mind I'm not pledging so you can pay the artist, or shipping cost or any of that other junk. I am pledging because I am interested in your story.

Kickstarting a project is very, very, tough and takes 24/7 dedication. There is no real right way to make a successful campaign.

My suggestions.

1. Your goal was WAAAAY to high! Six thousand U.S. dollars is too much for a project like this. Should have been half that.
2. The art should be the star. It should have been at the top.
3. Get the story relettered.

Don't be afraid to steal pledge ideas from other Kickstarters and look at their goals.
P.B.DeBerry is a writer/letterer of words, soup enthusiast in Massachusetts with a talent for over thinking. This bio took him five hours to write. You can read more from P.B. at.. fisticuffswriting.com
paul brian deberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
davidj28

davidj28 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Paul, your the second person to mention lettering to me so will definitely get that looked at, I'm also considering going digital online to keep costs down or maybe small print run for UK so postage isn't an issue.

Just realsied I didn't actually mention what I did marketing wise. I posted on facebook and twitter for 2 months before launch as well as a few posts on sites I write for like Comic Book News UK and Bloodshed- although I didn't get a email list which in hindsight was a mistake. I was lucky enough to have two interviews- Ginger Nuts of Horror and Games Brains and Head Banging life. 6 or 7 sites mainly horror but some just general comic ones featured my press release. I also joined a few history, horror and comic forums and mentioned the project there.
davidj28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

A couple thoughts...

I think your logo is really cool, too, and I was going to say that even if the above poster didn't mention it.

One thing I don't like, which I see ALL THE TIME, is people upload rather small images that are difficult to read. I took a look at your pages, and they aren't large enough for me to comfortably read the text.

Yes, I can read the text on the pages you display on your Kickstarter, but I would have to try to do so. And since I don't have any investment in this, I'm not going to try. I recommend uploading a larger .jpeg file. One that people can read the text on comfortably without zooming in their screens.

Above anything else, the reason your kickstarter probably didn't work is because you likely don't have much of an audience. If you had a substantial fanbase you would likely see more success.

You need to find people who you think will care about what you're doing, and show your comic to them. It's probably a good idea to do this before the Kickstarter campaign. You may want to try posting your comic online for free as a webcomic before attempting Kickstarter again. I believe building an audience should be the primary focus.
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote