The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 09-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
eDuke
Owner

eDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to behold

24 Hour Comic Day

Anyone here participating in this year's 24 Hour Comic Day? It'd be kinda cool to get a group of us together online.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

I honestly haven't heard of this. What is it?
Old 09-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
eDuke
Owner

eDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to behold

Check it out:
http://www.24hourcomicsday.com

Basically you do a 24 page comic in 24 hours.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
Duane Korslund
F!@* Symmetry!!

Duane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to behold

Holy moly!! It takes me 24 months to do a 24 page comic :/
Duane Korslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #5
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

I'm gonna write a script and trying to coordinate with a friend.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:41 AM   #6
eDuke
Owner

I think the rules require you to write, draw, letter, and color all by yourself.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
Duane Korslund
F!@* Symmetry!!

Duane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to behold

Welp, i guess stick figures.
Duane Korslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #8
Rob Norton

12013 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Korslund View Post
Welp, i guess stick figures.
ive done it twice. a local comic shop hosted the thing and there was a whole bunch of artists there, including Invincible artist Ryan Ottley, and it was awesome.

but yeah... its not where you do your BEST work. its a rush job and you do the best you can.

they say it should be created totally from scratch but I don't work that way and came up with the story/concept before hand to I didn't waste time sitting there going "what do I want to have happen now?". some people work great that way. not me though.

it IS fun though if you are with the right group of people.

rob
12013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #9
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

Hmmm... so is that 24 pages of story? i.e. just the "guts" of the comic, no front/back cover created in the 24-hour process?

I'll have to think about this... not thinking of an idea... but thinking is this something I could reasonably do. Working digitally streamlines some things for a thing like this, if you keep the characters simple you get a lot of re-use from page to page if you're creative with it. So, it's like set-design on a TV show... a lot of work on the early pages, but a lot of coasting on the later ones... at least from the drawing side of things.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #10
Rob Norton

12013 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Vernon View Post
Hmmm... so is that 24 pages of story? i.e. just the "guts" of the comic, no front/back cover created in the 24-hour process?

I'll have to think about this... not thinking of an idea... but thinking is this something I could reasonably do. Working digitally streamlines some things for a thing like this, if you keep the characters simple you get a lot of re-use from page to page if you're creative with it. So, it's like set-design on a TV show... a lot of work on the early pages, but a lot of coasting on the later ones... at least from the drawing side of things.
yeah its just the story part. and keeping it simple goes a LONG way to getting done in time. my first attempt I had just a vague idea of what I wanted to do and made it up mostly on the spot, and I was doing WAY to many panels(something I still struggle with to this day). I only got to page 10. I did finish later though.

my second attempt I planned better, and simplified the story and got all the way done with the 24 pages with 3 or 4 hours to go before the deadline hit.

you end up seeing a lot of stories set in dark caves, or in the desert, or like mine, in snowy mountain, which make backgrounds east to draw.

good times. an endurance trial tho for sure.
12013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #11
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Gonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDuke View Post
I think the rules require you to write, draw, letter, and color all by yourself.
Me and my co-founder of Last Ember Press are doing it unofficially. Since, as you say, the rules require one person does it all, we're not registering, but we're still participating.

I'm doing the script and lettering, she's doing the rest. We're going to live stream parts of it throughout the day on YouTube.com/ComicFrontline.

I've never done it before, neither has she, so it's going to be a lot of fun trying.
WANT MY COMIC, THE LAST EMBER #0 FOR FREE?! CLICK HERE!
Last Ember Press on Patreon
Last Ember Press
Lettering Portfolio
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Gonzogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:42 PM   #12
eDuke
Owner

Yeah, I was thinking about doing it unofficially too, just a group of people from this forum. We'd either post up pages here in a thread or shout them out through Twitter with a #digiweb hashtag so we know who we are.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:03 AM   #13
Stewart Vernon

I actually had a good idea a long time ago for just the kind of story that would work well here. Trying to decide if I want to do that OR see if I can go in blind and come up with something on the spot.

I suppose having a backup plan/idea already would give me some confidence to try it though. I'll have to seriously think about this the next few days and see if I can devote 24 hours to it.

I fizzled out on Inktober last year... missed a couple of days at the end... so I wanted to try and do that all the way through this year. If I think I can do both things, I might try it.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:26 AM   #14
Scribbly
Easy reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Are these 24 hour comics published somewhere afterwards?
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #15
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Gonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really nice

I think the official ones might be, Scribbly, but I'm not sure.

Ed, that's a great idea for DW!
WANT MY COMIC, THE LAST EMBER #0 FOR FREE?! CLICK HERE!
Last Ember Press on Patreon
Last Ember Press
Lettering Portfolio
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Gonzogoose is offline   Reply With Quote