The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community > Tips From the Drawing Board

Old 09-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
Hanyouyomi

Hanyouyomi is on a distinguished road

I'm having publishing trouble...?

So I've written three years of a Halloween themed series and am looking to self publish and distribute it locally. Each "Year" is a five issue mini series. Problem is do I publish the first year series(which is a five issue mini-series") or publish the current three years as three volumes?
Hanyouyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 01:43 AM   #2
Steve Colle
Freelance Editor

Steve Colle is a jewel in the roughSteve Colle is a jewel in the roughSteve Colle is a jewel in the rough

A lot of factors, especially financial considerations, should go into this decision.

However, one thing that you also need to consider is timeliness, as Halloween stories should be published for the season or leading up to the date of the holiday or celebration. Tying a story to a specific event commemoration - such as Christmas or the remembrance of 9-11- should be planned and released so as to tie into the event.

DC's Batman: THE LONG HALLOWEEN is probably one of those instances where the length built up to the final date. Single or self-contained issues are best for close proximity to the event, while mini-series that climax and resolve in the month of the event are best.

Things to consider when working within an event-driven release schedule.

Another way to solve the above mentioned release dilemma is to take out the publication's direct relation to the event. This allows for a horror story to exist on its own, in this case.

Either way, the points I wrote about - financial consideration, lead up vs. month of release, and taking away correlation to the direct event - are all things to think about.

I hope this has helped in some way. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
Hanyouyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Colle View Post
A lot of factors, especially financial considerations, should go into this decision.

However, one thing that you also need to consider is timeliness, as Halloween stories should be published for the season or leading up to the date of the holiday or celebration. Tying a story to a specific event commemoration - such as Christmas or the remembrance of 9-11- should be planned and released so as to tie into the event.

DC's Batman: THE LONG HALLOWEEN is probably one of those instances where the length built up to the final date. Single or self-contained issues are best for close proximity to the event, while mini-series that climax and resolve in the month of the event are best.

Things to consider when working within an event-driven release schedule.

Another way to solve the above mentioned release dilemma is to take out the publication's direct relation to the event. This allows for a horror story to exist on its own, in this case.

Either way, the points I wrote about - financial consideration, lead up vs. month of release, and taking away correlation to the direct event - are all things to think about.

I hope this has helped in some way. Good luck.
What I got from that given my financial situation and the deadline being Halloween is that I should publish Year 1 this year as all five issues with the fifth issue being published on Halloween. Another thing that's caused me to reach this conclusion is a factor I'm surprised you didn't mention:"Introduction of a series."

Like I said, I've written three years worth of this Halloween themed series. Back around 2009 I wrote "Year 1," which was five issues, then wrote "Year 2" the following year, and then "Year 2.5" in 2011. I called it "Year 2.5" because Year 2 ends with the main character's sister getting kidnapped, and him having to rescue her.

But my point is if I'm going to introduce a potentially growing audience to this annual series, I need to do it one year at a time, and not risk overwhelming them with publishing all three years of work in one year.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
Steve Colle
Freelance Editor

Steve Colle is a jewel in the roughSteve Colle is a jewel in the roughSteve Colle is a jewel in the rough

To tell the truth, I was just brainstorming when I gave you this advice. "Introduction of a series", along with a load of other considerations, weren't on my radar.

Good luck with your project.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Gonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really nice

So the three series are tied together, a continuing story, correct?

Are you releasing online or in print? Is it prose or comic format with art? Is there finished art if the latter?

If you're printing physical copies with art, there's a lot of financial consideration there with very little time to produce the series.

If you're releasing prose online, then there's really no financial constraints at all.

If you intend the story to be serialized as an annual series, I think you've already answered your own question. But if you just want it out there, you could collect the entire three years together.

These and more are questions you either need to be answering for yourself, or giving information for so others can help you make that decision.
WANT MY COMIC, THE LAST EMBER #0 FOR FREE?! CLICK HERE!
Last Ember Press on Patreon
Last Ember Press
Lettering Portfolio
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Gonzogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
Hanyouyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Colle View Post
To tell the truth, I was just brainstorming when I gave you this advice. "Introduction of a series", along with a load of other considerations, weren't on my radar.

Good luck with your project.
I see, so your advice accidentally helped me in a way it wasn't intended. Well I hope it works, I need to publish and promote it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzogoose View Post
So the three series are tied together, a continuing story, correct?
Yes, the three series are tied together as an ongoing series.

Quote:
Are you releasing online or in print? Is it prose or comic format with art? Is there finished art if the latter?
Currently I have "Year 1" available digitally, but am looking to sell them via print this month. And yes there is finished sequential artwork for "Year 1." Years 2 and 2.5 have finished sequential artwork, but aren't available.

Quote:
If you're printing physical copies with art, there's a lot of financial consideration there with very little time to produce the series.

If you're releasing prose online, then there's really no financial constraints at all.
What I took from this is that it'd be easier for me to distribute my series digitally given my limited finances. Which makes sense since that'd be easier to get exposure for than physical retail.

Quote:
If you intend the story to be serialized as an annual series, I think you've already answered your own question. But if you just want it out there, you could collect the entire three years together.
*Sigh* This is where my amateurish understanding of the comic industry will get me in trouble, because I look like an idiot, but I've gotta ask:"How will putting all three years together help?" I ask this because I fear that doing that will be over saturation since it's a new series.

Quote:
These and more are questions you either need to be answering for yourself, or g[B]iving information for so others can help you make that decision.
The only questions I can answer are:"Who are my audience?" Which would be fans of superhero comics and manga readers.

"How many issues is the series thus far:"15 issues."

Is this an annual holiday based series?:"Yes."

That's about it.