The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 11-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
B-McKinley

B-McKinley has a spectacular aura aboutB-McKinley has a spectacular aura aboutB-McKinley has a spectacular aura about

How many drafts?

I'm curious about other peoples' process. If you write comics, how many drafts does your script go through?

I wrote a first draft in full script. Based on feedback, I decided it needed a lot of work and I'm starting to outline a second draft. On my schedule I've planned a second draft, and then at least a third draft to polish that. With the amount of time I have to work on it each day this takes me all the way through spring (or summer).

Right now I'm committed to structural changes to my story, but are there good tips to go from second draft to drawing without sacrificing good story development?
B-McKinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
Scribbly
Easy reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-McKinley View Post
I'm curious about other peoples' process. If you write comics, how many drafts does your script go through?

I wrote a first draft in full script. Based on feedback, I decided it needed a lot of work and I'm starting to outline a second draft. On my schedule I've planned a second draft, and then at least a third draft to polish that. With the amount of time I have to work on it each day this takes me all the way through spring (or summer).

Right now I'm committed to structural changes to my story, but are there good tips to go from second draft to drawing without sacrificing good story development?
That would be up to the story itself and the writer's skills.
The planning of the story should take more time than the writing itself. Good planning helps to avoid structural story changes afterwards.
How many drafts would depend mainly on your deadline to get the story ready. Do you have a deadline or this is an open project?
This is about time and timing. Is somebody paying and waiting for this script or it is a personal project?
Professional comics writers could have a script done in one afternoon or in one week. A few writers would make at least 2 scripts per month.
The more time the writing takes more time would take to get the paycheck when bills are knocking the door.
Also varies if it is an ongoing serial or an introduction episode. Amount of pages, as well. Is different an 8 pager than 22 pages or a GN 120 pages long.
If this is a personal project take all the time you need to feel satisfied with the result.
If this is a paid project get it done ASAP.
On either scenario one or two drafts should be enough.
TIPS? You are about to change the story structure. Story developments are related to the story structure and therefore a circunstance. If these still working use it. If it doesn't match with the new structure, trash it.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote