The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community > DW Group Project

Old 11-24-2017, 11:34 PM   #1
Rob Norton

12013 is on a distinguished road

so, NEW DW group project?

so..this was brought up by myself in the CHIT CHAT area while reminiscing about my time here..

and a few others that took part suggested that maybe we could try again.

so for those who don't know or don't recall, starting back in 2014 we did a big group XMEN project here where the artists here created an xmen book. I cant recall exactly but the first issue was like 25 pages or something like that. about a year later we did part 2 coming in around the same pages..in all maybe 50 pages by some really great artists here.

I'm at my work computer right now and cant look up the past links to those threads. but anyway, it was quite a bit of fun.

it was suggested that we do another one. though this time we would choose a different subject matter. it was suggested that we leave the big 2 publishers behind this time and do a more indi character or two. it was also suggested that something like SPAWN/HELLBOY be the subject. that's good enough for me, tho I'm not a huge Spawn fan anymore. but it can still be fun. visually fun as hell to draw.

SO...would anyone be interested?

ill throw in my 2 cents based on my being the guy that managed the last 2 projects over several months each.

I think its best, and I again offer to be, having ONE guy be ultimately in charge of the story and coordinating the thing. the reason I suggest this is that with the first issue I let people do whatever they wanted story wise in the pages that they were following. that made for some fun ideas, but overall it left the story going off in all kinds of directions that were really hard to follow up on and wrap up. and I would like it to have SOME kind of narrative structure.
so basically, I would write the plot and hand out the pages needed to every artist that want to participate depending on how many pages they wanted to do.
my plan is to keep it visually easy to draw but fun to make exciting visuals. so no big cities or cars or crazy shit. this would be a kind of small self contained story with SPAWN/HELLBOY (if that's the route we chose to go) and maybe 2-3 supporting characters.

I already have a story/plot in mind. personally, I would maybe rather have someone different that SPAWN, like maybe SAVAGE DRAGON. tho spawn and hellboy would make a hell of an interesting combo that do kinda work together. I just like Dragon better than spawn. hell...maybe all 3 could be in the book.

I have ideas of dark magiks being done, summoning's, conjuring's, cemeteries, heavy shadows, maybe even set in winter as well.

the book could be written intended to be a silent book. like Frank Millers Silent Night one off book from years ago.

anyway...these are just my ideas. I think it could be fun AF.

I also had an idea of us creating a whole NEW character that is kinda a Digitalwebbing character we can all own/none of us own to use as we want. but maybe that's to much. I don't know...

I am open to ideas though. character suggestions. story suggestions. but in the end, ONE person has to kinda run the ship and others have to follow along to keep it flowing and making some kind of sense.

if someone ELSE would like to be the overall manager of this thing and run it, I will step aside if needed. but to see it through the end, there is a lot of emailing and communicating clearly and it could take 2-3 months. at best. so if someone else wants to take this on, be prepared to commit to it.

ANYWAY...that's a long explanation of...is anyone else interested? I know a few of you were/are.

so ...let me know guys. lets talk ideas.
12013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 02:57 AM   #2
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

I personally love Hellboy.....but the idea of the an original character for DW is far more interesting to me.

Could easily go the horror/supernatural theme for the plot etc.
Too many people do the superhero schtick.

Should the artwork be kept b&w like last time, it would help make it abit more consistant.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #3
Scribbly
Easy reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Hey, what about a story having the Fist Of Justice, FOJ, for a DW character?
It could be of use and included on DW projects afterwards. IMHO.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
jeffchris50

jeffchris50 will become famous soon enoughjeffchris50 will become famous soon enough

I would love to participate in a writing capacity of some sort, if possible.
jeffchris50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbly View Post
Hey, what about a story having the Fist Of Justice, FOJ, for a DW character?
It could be of use and included on DW projects afterwards. IMHO.
I am not specifically interested in using FOJ specifically myself. He already exists here and my thought was to create a NEW guy. tho the more I think about it, I'm not sure how in the hell that would actually work...making a character with EVERYones input.
its almost like it would have to be just a visual design that has some element built in to him where the character can be written in various ways... like a multi-verse jumping guy that takes on different traits in the universe he jumps in to.
I don't know. that may not work exactly.

I personally am leaning to HELLBOY for sure in some capacity..he lends himself to lots of cool monsters to fight...

but I like that a few people are interested...lets keep the discussion going and see who else wants in and who can do what.

rob
Old 11-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #6
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchris50 View Post
I would love to participate in a writing capacity of some sort, if possible.

I think that would be great. never did we have anyone interested in a writing part.

so..depending on how this whole thing shakes out, we could use scripting help to put words in the mouths of the characters, BUT...best case scenario we could find a letterer to actually put the words on the pages, otherwise, having a writer put thought into good actual scripts kinda goes wasted if it cant be read on the final product.

which is why I suggested making the book a silent book, cause the chance of getting a letterer seems slim to none.
maybe if we nail down specifics, if we come up with a plot idea, you can write the script in some or all of the thing to hand out to artists.

we will have to figure out how it will work... but yeah..id love to see someone interested in writing help in some way.

rob
Old 11-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #7
Scribbly
Easy reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Ok. Hellboy already exist. What powers the new guy should have? Let start from there.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:00 PM   #8
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbly View Post
Ok. Hellboy already exist. What powers the new guy should have? Let start from there.
I'm just not..interested in doing FOJ for this. BUT if I'm out voted, I can go along with the group.

as far as the new guy theory...

I threw out an idea of a universe jumping guy. kinda like quantam leap. sorta...

time traveler/universe traveler investigating... eliminating...something..? time/universe jumpers? like JCVD in Time-cop.

MAYBE...hes a ROBOT. Robocop hunting down whatever monsters/criminals/bad guys. runs into hellboy?

or a human traveler. super human? regular dude? if hes regular dude, what can he do that makes him special? powers? gadgets? shapeshifter??? that would lend him to being able to take many forms for many different situations.

what is hes an OLD guy...like the enforcer guy Mike Ehrmantraut from breaking bad/better call saul. heres this small unassuming old guy that knows Everything and is afraid of nothing, but looks like nothing. BUT, he can do... what? shapeshifter? become big strong metal guy? become hot girl? become lizard monster? whatever he needs to do...

I'm just spitballin ideas here. thoughts anyone?
Old 11-26-2017, 02:08 AM   #9
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Iím in for some pages.

However, Iím not sure how the original character idea will work. Seems kind of difficult to wrangle everyone to a consensus on what that character should be.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:38 AM   #10
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Artists don't get to plot the story, so artists shouldn't really have a say in the character.
There are no superstar artists here. LOL

PLUS more of a challenge to create something that might not be your natural preference/likes.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #11
eDuke
Owner

eDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to behold

Do you want me to set up a separate forum area for this? Just say the word.
As far as FOJ is concerned, yeah, let's leave him out of this particular collaboration, mostly because Mike and I are working on a FOJ anthology series featuring writers and artists interested in showing us their take on the character. It'll be like our old anthology series "Digital Webbing Presents". Stay tuned.
/e
eDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #12
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDuke View Post
Do you want me to set up a separate forum area for this? Just say the word.
/e
Yeah if you could, that would be awesome. We are obviously very early stages but, considering the big turn out for the last 2 of these we did, im thinking others will join up soon enough.

Thanks Ed,

Rob
Old 11-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #13
jeffchris50

jeffchris50 will become famous soon enoughjeffchris50 will become famous soon enough

I guess I could wait for the dedicated thread (thanks, btw, Ed), but I'll go ahead and jump in.

I know these are the early days of development on this (exciting) project, but I wanted to toss into the pot that I've got a few ideas for original characters/groups that have been brewing in my head for several years without an outlet. These ideas range from straight superhero to sci-fi/action to mystery to horror/gothic.

If we can nail down an initial idea of what direction we want to go, I'd be happy to do some spit-n-polishing on these concepts and present them to you guys.

Thanks

Chris

PS: Is there somewhere on the site I can go to see the previous, collaborative projects?

Last edited by jeffchris50; 11-26-2017 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Additional text
jeffchris50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #14
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Here's a link to the second one, but it looks like all the images are no longer available on rob's Deviant Art account.

http://digitalwebbing.com/forums/sho...=group+project
Old 11-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #15
Bishop

And, here's the first. Same issue with images...

http://digitalwebbing.com/forums/sho...=group+project