The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 11-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
Rob Norton

12013 is on a distinguished road

"HOW DO I DO THIS" artist help thread

so... I need help. I have a few struggles with doing certain aspects of comic art that I am hoping some of you guys might be able to offer some insight into how to approach it.

so ive been meaning to try a thread like this for a while now, where we can help each other and maybe others can learn from it to. ive been drawing comics on my own for a long time now and may have some thoughts to offer others on some stuff they struggle with, but that being said, ill start...

my struggle:

placing people and/or objects in the correct place when doing my 1 or 2 point perspective drawings. like doing a street scene ..I can set those anchor points and grid out a building and stuff...but somehow setting a walking human being in the right place so it looks like they are correct I cant seem to get right.

another example, I'm drawing a page where a guy is sitting at a table drinking coffee and eating a dounut. I cant figure out where to place the horizon line. I just want to be looking straight on at him with his kitchen behind him but all my attempts to put the building correctly behind him look wrong.

or in another panel, I have a guy doing pushups, the camera is a very low angle looking at his face up front and his body going away from us at a slight angle, but I cant figure out where to properly set a vanishing point to put his apartment behind him in proper perspective...

these are are similar problems that I cant solve. I am also aware that this is basic drawing stuff and some skills have been severely neglected. so..does anyone have any tips on how to do this stuff...?

help

ROB
12013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:46 PM   #2
Scribbly
Easy reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Study perspective. Study composition.
Read Andrew's Loomis books. He can teach and explain better these basics.There are many of his books hanging online.
Post the artwork. Is easyer and direct to correct when seeing the artwork.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:56 PM   #3
Rob Norton

12013 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbly View Post
Study perspective. Study composition.
this IS part of me studying it. this is me reaching out and asking my colleges if they have any basic quick solutions or ways of figuring stuff out while also making the conversation available to everyone to see...
12013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
Scribbly
Easy reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12013 View Post
this IS part of me studying it. this is me reaching out and asking my colleges if they have any basic quick solutions or ways of figuring stuff out while also making the conversation available to everyone to see...
Then, show your artwork and WE can go from it.
How we can tell what is your level if you don't show it?

And when I said study perspective it means to study the subject by itself. Regardless or aside any project.
Then, when you have understood everything related to perspective fully on your mind, then start working on individual illustrations. Later, when you see everything is working well as you wish, THEN, start working stuff more complicated as sequential illustration, comics strips or comics pages. Is a process. IT wont take you or anyone else more than a week to get it.

What you are doing right now only would bring you dissatisfaction and frustration. Because you are putting the cart in front of the horse.
Working on a comics page not knowing how to solve basic drawing issues.
Learn the methods first , then apply them.

Oh... now I see you actually are Rob Norton. I know you have skills. Show up these pages or panels and I may solve these technical issues for you.
As if we where working next at the same Studio.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
Emma G

Emma G is on a distinguished road

Outside of study, having a friend or family member willing to pose and taking pictures of the perspective you want is a good way to cheat the system! Keeping a reference library also works.
Emma G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #6
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Exactly what Emma G said.
Get someone on the floor holding a pushup, grab a camera (or phone) and snap a few ref pics.

Why muck around with tricky perspective lines etc if you can just grab a pic in 5 minutes.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:00 AM   #7
Scribbly
Easy reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma G View Post
Outside of study, having a friend or family member willing to pose and taking pictures of the perspective you want is a good way to cheat the system! Keeping a reference library also works.
Study is understanding.
You can cheat ANY system successfully when you already know and understand how things work, not by using crutches or shortcuts.
Although, WE can use photo reference as way for study (understanding) rather than for cheating.
When you know how things work you can freely play with the elements. Minimizing, maximizing, exaggerating or distorting to fit your graphic needs.

Quote:
Study definition:
1. Application of the mind to the acquisition of knowledge, as by reading, investigation, or reflection.
2. The cultivation of a particular branch of learning, science, or art.
3. Often, studies. A personal effort to gain knowledge.
Can you see where the vanishing point in each of these images is located? Then, you may know where the horizon line is to be placed.
From there you can start building your perspective grids.
1-People walking down the street:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=12....0.dR0XzALTBpY

2-Sitting at a table drinking coffee and eating a donut:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=12....0.vpgel6rwklc

3-Guy doing push ups low angle:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=12....0.LK79tkNoW2I

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ive+for+comics
Old 11-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
Kay
just kay

Kay is on a distinguished road

I can recommend "Vanishing Point: Perspective for Comics from the Ground Up", which answers these and many other questions. There's a copy now on eBay for $7.
Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #9
Duane Korslund
F!@* Symmetry!!

Duane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay View Post
I can recommend "Vanishing Point: Perspective for Comics from the Ground Up", which answers these and many other questions. There's a copy now on eBay for $7.
I read this as well...it helped for the most part. It was definitely a good starting point.
Duane Korslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #10
B-McKinley

B-McKinley has a spectacular aura aboutB-McKinley has a spectacular aura aboutB-McKinley has a spectacular aura about

Try Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork by David Chelsea. It explains the answers to all of your questions, and also has chapters on shortcuts.

Mastering Comics: Drawing Words & Writing Pictures Continued by Jessica Abel and Matt Madden also has a good chapter on perspective.

If I remember correctly, the horizon line will be lined up with the eyeline of your POV. If your POV is 6 feet off the ground then the eyes of a 5 foot character will be below the horizon line, a 6 foot character would have eyes on the horizon line, and a giant's eyes would be above the horizon line. That stays true no matter how close or far away from the camera they are.
B-McKinley is offline   Reply With Quote