The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 11-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
IQBrawler

IQBrawler is on a distinguished road

question about comic book length

I'm writing / drawing a seven issue mini-series, each issue a stand-alone story. I'm finding that 22-24 pages are simply not enough time to tell a satisfying story in which, each issue, the readers are coming into the story cold with no knowledge of the plot or characters.

Right now the scripts are written for 30-page issues, but for some reason I keep remember something I read once that the length of a comic book must have a page number that is divisible by 4. However, I've been googling for the last little while and am not seeing this info.

Is there a page length I should aim for that would make it easier to shop around for publishers?

Thanks in advance,
J

Here are the first three pages of issue #1:

IQBrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

pick up a marvel, dc or image comic and look.
One sheet of paper equals 4 pages.....folded in half and printed on the reverse.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

You're right in that they have to be divisible by 4. That's just for printing.

Actually, just go here and read. Lots of information there.

Hope that helps!
-Steven
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:05 AM   #4
Scribbly
Easy reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

I would say stick with episodes of 22/24 pages as DC and Marvel or any mainstream publisher does.
Six episodes and you have a graphic novel on hand.
Or go the long length making a 150/300 pages Graphic novel at once.
The problem with comics stories that are more than 30 pages length is that the narrative's pressure gets decompressed causing lost of interest on the reader.
Unless outstanding writing or amazing artwork can prove otherwise.
But since you are dubious and asking I'm not sure you are there yet.

-Is there a page length I should aim for that would make it easier to shop around for publishers?-
American publishers?
Easier is what they already know as common ground:22 pages per chapter or episode. Whether the story could go self-conclusive or in continuity.
And yes for printing purposes the pages should be multiples of 4.
Minimum of 4 pages, or 8 or 12 or 16 or 20 or 24.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

IF you are going to do a printed version, it will need to be a multiple of four pages for the print version. That said, it doesn't mean you need your story to cover all of those pages.

If your story as constructed happens to fit 30 pages, then you need 2 more pages of content. You can add commentary/background or a couple of pin-ups or whatever.

In big company world, they sell advertisements to make up their page count too.. but I assume you will not be doing that for your comic.

I always say that you should write the story for the page count that the story makes sense. Don't try and stretch it out or compress it to make it work if you don't have to do so. If you can make the story fit a multiple-of-four then great! But if not, consider other kinds of content to fill those spare pages.