The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 04-14-2018, 01:25 AM   #1
JoeValentineArt

JoeValentineArt is on a distinguished road

Valor Cover Design

I just started drawing comics again in December after years of avoiding it. Decided to finally go crazy and see what something would look like fully colored. Although I'm proud of the result, I want to get better so please any feedback would be appreciated.

JoeValentineArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

I think your logo is cool. The heads on the two figures look too large for their bodies. It looks consistent with both characters, so I'm not sure if that is intentional or not. Also, to my eye, the coloring is a little flat. It could do with more variation in values. But, again, if that flat look is what you're going for, then it's okay. It does give the cover somewhat of an old-school look, which is actually kinda' neat.
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #3
JoeValentineArt

JoeValentineArt is on a distinguished road

Hey Neal thanks for the feedback.

To address your points, the choice for the head is intentional, but I'm trying to find a "sweet spot" if you will. I am not a fan of the smaller heads that are equal to 1/10 of the body height and 1/4 the width. I am trying to find a safe zone that is somewhere in between that still feels comfortable, but doesn't leave a pinhead. So I'll keep trying on that one.

As far as the coloring choices it is kind of a yes/no. They are definitely flat and done that way on purpose. I'm color blind so I have massive issues color selection and usually rely a lot on RGB values or other people to help me figure them out. In this case I color picked what seemed like would be appropriate colors from Michael Moorcock's Elric with art by P. Craig Russell. I can sort of identify colors, but I usually need assistance to make sure it's what I'm expecting it to be. With that said, I can at best select one flat color and one shadow/highlight color. So that 90s feel, is because the colors were from that 80s/90s time period when color was flat, and it kind of is the only stuff I can do effectively. I guess I might stay away from it in the future since it probably detracts from the rest of the image.

Thank you for the feedback I'll try to address those concerns in future drawings.
JoeValentineArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

if this is you after "years of avoiding it" id be interested in seeing how good you would be if you had kept at it. there are nitpicky things that could be said..kinda like Neil Allen said.. but they don't really bother me. the "flat" coloring seems obviously a choice to me and I appreciate it for how it works.
I like the framing characters around the border...neat designs and well drawn. pretty damn neat all around.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #5
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeValentineArt View Post
Hey Neal thanks for the feedback.
Glad to be of assistance. There's another thing. A storytelling aspect. The characters look like they are in fighting stances, and we see there is an environment, but there don't seem to be any enemies or threats around. There is what looks like a dragon, but the characters are not facing it, which leads me to believe... maybe the dragon is a friend? They don't seem worried about it, but rather something else.

If there are threats about, as the characters' stances seem to suggest, what I would do is zoom the camera out and show the audience what actually has the characters on guard, or have some enemies coming down those stairs. I think that would make the cover quite a bit more effective. If there are no threats, I would choose different poses for the characters.

Like, here is some video game box art, for example:

The pose is cool without the fire breathing tiger and robot riding on top of it, but the inclusion of the enemies and more context for the pose makes for a more powerful image, in my opinion.

You can certainly do an action pose and just that to great effect for a cover, but when there is an environment there, and we can see so much of it, and we can't see why the character doing the pose is behaving like that, I think it makes for a picture that is not as powerful as it could be.
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #6
Nico_arcu92

Nico_arcu92 is on a distinguished road

Looks cool, but I'd put some more work on the backgrounds, clouds look a bit weird.
Also could work a bit more on the inking, it looks a bit scrappy, compare it with some artists you like and try to mimic their way of doing it. That also applies for anatomy and all drawing in general. The hands also look a bit weird.

Portfolio: http://nicoarcuti.crevado.com
Contact me: nico.arcuti@gmail.com
Artists & Clients commission profile: https://artistsnclients.com/people/Nicoarcuti92
Nico_arcu92 is offline   Reply With Quote