The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 09-20-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Gonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really nice

Updated Samples

How am I coming along guys?

Lettering Samples
WANT MY COMIC, THE LAST EMBER #0 FOR FREE?! CLICK HERE!
Last Ember Press on Patreon
Last Ember Press
Lettering Portfolio
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Gonzogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 10:57 AM   #2
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

Jason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of light

nice work.

What's your main balloon lettering font though? I'm not digging the one that you use in a few of those. Go ahead and spend a few bucks on some quality Blambot/Comicraft fonts. I highly reccomend the Jack Armstrong font from Blambot. Also on New Years eve Comicraft will have ALL of their fonts on sale for around $20 bucks.

cheers,

-- J
Jason Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:14 AM   #3
Darren Schwindaman
EntropyTheory.com

Darren Schwindaman is on a distinguished road

It seems like you've built up enough work to start being more selective with what you show and to begin cutting some of the older work, to ensure that you're showing only your best stuff.
Darren Schwindaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

Jason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Schwindaman
It seems like you've built up enough work to start being more selective with what you show and to begin cutting some of the older work, to ensure that you're showing only your best stuff.
good advice. I recently did the same myself and I'm glad I did.

-- J
Old 09-20-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Gonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really nice

That seems to be the consensus (cutting some of them) and something I'll be doing soon. Thanks.

As for the balloon font, on some of those I used Digital Strip, which isn't the greatest. On others I used Blambot's Web Letterer. On about three of them I'm not sure what I used, but it was not a great font and I'll probably remove those samples. I just haven't saved up to get the better ones yet, but I will. Thanks.
Last Ember Press
Lettering Portfolio
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Old 04-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Been a long time, but I've been keeping busy. I thought I'd share my latest pages.

These are pages 2-4 of a submission called "Teddy and the Yeti: Presidents and Precedence".

Writer - Jeff McClelland
Artist - Duane Redhead
Letterer - Me

Last Ember Press
Lettering Portfolio
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline

Last edited by Gonzogoose; 04-23-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
augiedb

augiedb will become famous soon enoughaugiedb will become famous soon enough

Couple of quick thoughts to nit-pick, though I think the quality is generally good:

Page 1, Panel 2: There's some spacing issues in that balloon with the way "alien overlord" is written. Did you increase the font size for those two words, or just bold-face it? It causes a lot of ugly white space between that line and the one above it. (That's leading, right?)

Page 1, Panel 3: Balloon too close to the top border. Either butt it up against it, or move it down a little.

Page 1, Panel 4: The second or third balloon (not sure of the reading order -- problem one): nice job hiding it behind the character's arm, but the left side of the balloon is touching the foreground character's fingers. That's a no-no.

Page 2, Panel 1: You have a balloon with a tangent to the panel border. Just erase the line and let it be an open panel border, like you did in later panels on the same page.

Page 2, Panel 3: Hmmm, I don't have any reference material in front of me to look this up, but: In the balloon that's butted up against the left panel, I wonder if it wouldn't look better to left justify the text.

Page 3, Panel 1: The balloon looks really cramped in that location, when there's all that white space above and to the right. . I think I see where you're trying to go on this one to preserve the reading flow of the reader's eye, but I think it would work just as well with the balloon over to the right, even if it winds up overlapping the next panel.

Page 3, Panel 2: The sound effect disappears completely for me. Is the page going to be in color? Maybe that will save it.

Page 3, Panel 3: With the way the balloon is placed in the first panel, the eye tends to skip panel 2 completely now.

I like what you're doing with putting the sound effect in the background. Looks nice to have all the action in front of it. The problem is that the effect becomes illegible. I don't know what it's saying. "KIRENCH"? While I recognize that sound effects are more often FELT than READ, I think this one is a little confusing. Maybe using the outline of the characters and placing it all on top of the art might work better? I'm not completely sure.

-Augie
augiedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Hey, thanks for the feedback, Augie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedb
Couple of quick thoughts to nit-pick, though I think the quality is generally good:

Page 1, Panel 2: There's some spacing issues in that balloon with the way "alien overlord" is written. Did you increase the font size for those two words, or just bold-face it? It causes a lot of ugly white space between that line and the one above it. (That's leading, right?)
Yeah, I did increase the size by .5. The bold didn't stand out enough. Point taken though.

Quote:
Page 1, Panel 3: Balloon too close to the top border. Either butt it up against it, or move it down a little.
The first balloon or the second one?

Quote:
Page 1, Panel 4: The second or third balloon (not sure of the reading order -- problem one): nice job hiding it behind the character's arm, but the left side of the balloon is touching the foreground character's fingers. That's a no-no.
Yeah, that was a tough panel. I don't know how else to work it though.

Quote:
Page 2, Panel 1: You have a balloon with a tangent to the panel border. Just erase the line and let it be an open panel border, like you did in later panels on the same page.
Didn't even think about that...

Quote:
Page 2, Panel 3: Hmmm, I don't have any reference material in front of me to look this up, but: In the balloon that's butted up against the left panel, I wonder if it wouldn't look better to left justify the text.
I actually tried that a couple of times. I went through about 7 layouts trying to get it right.

Quote:
Page 3, Panel 1: The balloon looks really cramped in that location, when there's all that white space above and to the right. . I think I see where you're trying to go on this one to preserve the reading flow of the reader's eye, but I think it would work just as well with the balloon over to the right, even if it winds up overlapping the next panel.
Well, the reason I did it that way was probably a stupid reason. I didn't want to cover the lines in the white space, so I figured I'd put it where it is since it's small. Maybe I should have just covered them, I don't know.

Quote:
Page 3, Panel 2: The sound effect disappears completely for me. Is the page going to be in color? Maybe that will save it.
No, it's not going to be in color, but I was going for a really subtle effect there.

Quote:
Page 3, Panel 3: With the way the balloon is placed in the first panel, the eye tends to skip panel 2 completely now.
Yeah, I was a little worried about that too...

Quote:
I like what you're doing with putting the sound effect in the background. Looks nice to have all the action in front of it. The problem is that the effect becomes illegible. I don't know what it's saying. "KIRENCH"? While I recognize that sound effects are more often FELT than READ, I think this one is a little confusing. Maybe using the outline of the characters and placing it all on top of the art might work better? I'm not completely sure.
It's actually "WRENCH", and I see your point. I tried it in front and it just didn't work for me. I'll probably leave that as is.

Thanks!

EDIT - I made some of the changes you suggested and replaced the previous images with the updated one two posts above.
Last Ember Press
Lettering Portfolio
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline

Last edited by Gonzogoose; 04-20-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #9
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

without seeing it at actual comic size I'm not sure, but... I think the clipping masks you're using aren't bumping against the figures perfectly.

Don't be afraid to zoom in and use the direct selection tool to make your mask perfect.

cheers,

-- J
Old 04-21-2006, 12:46 AM   #10
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonArthur
without seeing it at actual comic size I'm not sure, but... I think the clipping masks you're using aren't bumping against the figures perfectly.

Don't be afraid to zoom in and use the direct selection tool to make your mask perfect.

cheers,

-- J
Yeah, I was a little worried about that. It's probably not perfect, and I may try it again, but it's close, right?
Last Ember Press
Lettering Portfolio
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Old 04-21-2006, 11:58 AM   #11
Clem Robins

Clem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura about

they hate clipping masks in Production, at least at DC, but nobody's found a better way to let art pop in front of lettering.

here's a little tip.

if you have to use a clipping mask, make a separate layer on your template. i call it "spare mask". i can hide the balloon layer, so that i can see what i'm doing, as i draw the clipping mask.

when it's done, copy it and paste it onto the balloon layer.

then hide the "spare mask" layer, but leave the original, and now invisible, mask in that layer.

why's this helpful? because once a balloon's been masked, it's awfully tough to manipulate. DC and Marvel and especially Vertigo constantly change their minds about stuff once the book's been lettered, and you have to guard yourself against their revisions. if a block of copy is rewritten, a new balloon may have to be drawn, or the old one manipulated.

so having a backup copy of a clipping mask, which may have taken half an hour or more to draw, is good protection. you can delete the old mask, make whatever changes you have to, and then copy the backup mask onto the balloon layer.

saves much aggravation. by the way, one of the great advantages of hand lettering, at least until 2003, was that if changes were made after the book was lettered, they were either done in-house, or if the letterer had to do them, the companies considered it your doing them a big favor, for which you'd often as not get paid.

some writers, particularly writers of creator-owned material, submit what appear to be second drafts. this took some getting used to…
Clem Robins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #12
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Wow, thanks for the tip, Clem. I'll give that a shot. Very interesting, I wasn't aware of any of that about DC, etc. not being fond of them. But it definitely makes sense if changes are needed and so forth.
Last Ember Press
Lettering Portfolio
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Old 04-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #13
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

I updated with bigger pics and a few minor corrections above.
Last Ember Press
Lettering Portfolio
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Old 06-16-2006, 04:13 PM   #14
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Warbreed - Small Press Idol Round 3 Entry

More Lettering from the Gonzogoose.

This is for a contest I'm in at www.dimestoreproductions.com (we still need votes too if you feel so inclined. )

Aside from the odd grayness of the letters in these particular samples (I'm pretty sure they're not like that in the actual entry) I think they turned out decent.

The third page was a killer. The original flow was supposed to be from the top left panel, to center, to top right, to bottom left, to bottom right, but we changed it to top left, center, bottom left, center, top right, bottom right. Still pretty confusing, but I did the best I could after several tries.

Critiques welcome.

http://graphitejones.blogspot.com (Warbreed Blog)
Last Ember Press
Lettering Portfolio
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Old 06-18-2006, 04:03 PM   #15
Comics Commando

Comics Commando has a spectacular aura aboutComics Commando has a spectacular aura about

Wha-??

Not bad, but be aware of missing commas and proper hyphenation. "General" should not be huphenated "gene-ral". Always hyphenate between syllables--not in the middle of one. And the balloon with "is ready sir" is missing a comma.

Otherwise, nice work.

Kurt Hathaway
Cartoon Balloons Studios
"Quality Lettering for Western Civilization"
Comics Commando is offline   Reply With Quote